You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Partygate.

Comments

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,080
    #Growlergate
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 33,461
    Essexphil said:

This reminds me of something that happened to me many years ago.

Client wanted to plead Guilty to Driving Without Due Care and Attention. By post. It is quite important to plead Guilty by post-as the Mags could not Ban you from driving without making you attend Court. My job was to draft the Plea in Mitigation.

I thought I had done a good job. The Mags were so "impressed" they rang me. Told me/my Client we had 2 choices-tone down the plea in mitigation, or they would take it as a Not Guilty plea, and Client could attend Court. So I had to redraft it, and had 1 unhappy client.

The point here is this. Boris, and all the others, had 2 choices. Accept the Police version and pay £50. Or-go to court, risk a Criminal record, and a fine plus costs of about £1,000. and a media frenzy. So-of course-they all paid the fine.

But-Boris being Boris-he wants a 3rd option. 1 where he BOTH argues about the facts AND avoids pleading Not Guilty.

Buffoon.

Is this wise?’: Emails ‘show officials planning events at Downing Street’ during lockdown

Whitehall mandarin Sue Gray’s report into lockdown-breaking parties in Downing Street will include details from emails suggesting “premeditation” among officials planning events, it was claimed today.

One unnamed source told the Sunday Times that the report will show that rules were “wilfully broken”, with one official breaking into discussion on the venue for a planned event to ask: “Is this wise?”

Ms Gray’s full report into Partygate is to be published after the completion of Metropolitan Police inquiries into 12 events in No 10 and Whitehall alleged to have broken Covid-19 restrictions in 2020 and 2021.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/wise-emails-show-officials-planning-145804636.html
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

That is one misleading headline. Even for a paper as horrible as the Mail.

The police are:-

1. Considering; whether to
    2. Review police conduct into police behaviour relating to the drink

So-not actually reviewing Starmer. At all.

Lord Frost plots sensational comeback in nightmare for Boris Johnson - 'serious figure'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/lord-frost-plots-sensational-comeback-in-nightmare-for-boris-johnson-serious-figure/ar-AAWVWAM?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=de72848c12034894bf069578c534ed9d
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,377
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Lord Frost plots sensational comeback in nightmare for Boris Johnson - 'serious figure'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/lord-frost-plots-sensational-comeback-in-nightmare-for-boris-johnson-serious-figure/ar-AAWVWAM?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=de72848c12034894bf069578c534ed9d
    Lord Frost combines a truly unique skill set.

The work ethic of David Davis.
    Coupled with the incisive intellect of Liz Truss.

Even Boris deserves better.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

There were rumours yesterday of Liz Truss getting Rishi Sunaks job.
    I am not a fan of Lord Frost.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Steve Baker says Boris Johnson ‘should be long gone’ as MPs set to vote for inquiry into claims PM misled parliament – live

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    Or to put it another way, the PM in India has effectively conceded he could not win today’s vote. Amazing misjudgment of the mood of his MPs
    Robert Peston
    @Peston
    Andrew Mitchell was right on my show last night. There will almost certainly not be a vote on Labour’s motion. It will be approved without the need for a vote. And the question of whether the prime minister lied to MPs about parties will be investigated by the Privileges…

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/steve-baker-says-boris-johnson-should-be-long-gone-as-mps-set-to-vote-for-inquiry-into-claims-pm-misled-parliament-live/ar-AAWrhLF?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4b467e25d73e4f388cbb2017dde23134
    UK attorney general Suella Braverman told Boris Johnson to expel 'disloyal' MPs from the Conservative Party

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/uk-attorney-general-suella-braverman-150305534.html
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Tory spin at its finest.

As local election results came in, every single Tory kept making the point that this was to be expected, mid-term effect, blah blah.

While completely ignoring the fact that, in England, these were seats last fought in 2018. During the mid-term of a previous Tory government. So-for once-comparing like with like.

The 2018 results were terrible for the Tories. Labour won over 50% of the seats. And that result was a major part of May being replaced. In 2022, they have managed to do even worse...

It is also a good indicator showing that Brexit is becoming irrelevant to the voters. The position is certainly better than 2018, when no-one really knew how Brexit was going to be implemented, and the Tory Party were in open revolt on the subject. I suspect it is just no longer important as an election issue.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Tory spin at its finest.

As local election results came in, every single Tory kept making the point that this was to be expected, mid-term effect, blah blah.

While completely ignoring the fact that, in England, these were seats last fought in 2018. During the mid-term of a previous Tory government. So-for once-comparing like with like.

The 2018 results were terrible for the Tories. Labour won over 50% of the seats. And that result was a major part of May being replaced. In 2022, they have managed to do even worse...

It is also a good indicator showing that Brexit is becoming irrelevant to the voters. The position is certainly better than 2018, when no-one really knew how Brexit was going to be implemented, and the Tory Party were in open revolt on the subject. I suspect it is just no longer important as an election issue.

I saw an interview with Nadhim Zahawi on Sky News this morning.
    His excuses were very unconvincing.
    I dont think I have ever heard "um uh uh" used so many times in an interview ever before.
    When I woke up yesterday, the Tories were down about one hundred and forty odd seats. and they all seemed relieved.
    I think they really thought that, that was as bad as it was going to get.
    Whereas today, it is a completely different story.
    Wiped out in Wales.
    Third place in Scotland.
    A disaster for them pending in NI.
    NI being an exception to your comments about Brexit.
    All this in addition to severe losses in England.

The Keir Starmer nonsense is worrying.
    It seems that the police are now investigating.
    This is subsequent to them stating that there was nothing to investigate.
    It would appear that the investigation is now taking place due to pressure from Tory MPs, or the government, in order to distract from the Boris woes.
    If that was the case, it should be a worry.
    Why would the police be confused?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Essexphil said:

Tory spin at its finest.

Sensible MPs avoid the airwaves after elections. Fortunately, Dumb and Dumber were available

He was also happy to relate that he had been shopping at the 24-hour Asda in Newark at 5am. The Asda later confirmed it wasn’t open round the clock and that any shoppers turning up in the middle of the night would have to come armed with a jemmy, ready to break in. So where Honest Bob had been at 5am was anyone’s guess.

On LBC, Nick Ferrari asked Dowden what had gone wrong and what had come up on the doorstep for Tory canvassers. Dumber ummed and aahed. No one had mentioned parties. Not one. Amazing, that. Though if they had done, it would have been to ask why they hadn’t been invited. No, what had come up most was the sheer abundance of new Brexit opportunities.

Why, only the previous day the UK had relaxed its red tape so we could import radioactive vegetables from Fukushima. Don’t remember that on the Vote Leave bus.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/sensible-mps-avoid-airwaves-elections-160704868.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Tory spin at its finest.

I have seen a few interviews over the last couple of days, including Dominic Raab on Sophie Ridge this morning.
    They are predictably coming up with the same excuses, for their poor results.
    Yet the interviewers seem to ignore the above point, on every occasion.
    I would like to have seen a bit more squirming.
    The same interviewers are also using the latest results to criticise Labour on a poor performance, because they havent improved that much, also ignoring the above point.
    Lisa Nandy failed to make the point this morning.
    You would have thought that Labour would be better prepared.

Theresa Villiers has been on this morning, amazingly she was blaming Theresa May for the Irish Protocol.
    She claimed that the Theresa May negotiations left Boris in a hole that he couldnt get out of.
    A difficult argument to stand up as Theresa May maintained that she wouldnt countenance an Irish Border.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Tory spin at its finest.

I have seen a few interviews over the last couple of days, including Dominic Raab on Sophie Ridge this morning.
    The same interviewers are also using the latest results to criticise Labour on a poor performance, because they havent improved that much, also ignoring the above point.

Theresa Villiers has been on this morning, amazingly she was blaming Theresa May for the Irish Protocol.
    She claimed that the Theresa May negotiations left Boris in a hole that he couldnt get out of.
    A difficult argument to stand up as Theresa May maintained that she wouldnt countenance an Irish Border.

Completely agree in both points.

I deliberately referred to England and 2018, simply because it was plain to me why the different timing of the seats made such a massive difference in Scotland and Wales, as opposed to England.

The Theresa May bit is just laughable. Mind you, I think Theresa May's solution would have been identical in its effects on NI. simply because I believe it was essentially the same deal, just packaged differently.

The "hole" was that, due to the way the Leave campaign was managed and voted for, the sensible options-such as the UK being in some form of Customs Union/EFTA etc-could not be used as (at the very least) a transitional tool.

PS-Lisa Nandy. Proof that it is not just Tories that are a bit thick.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Tory spin at its finest.

I deliberately referred to England and 2018, simply because it was plain to me why the different timing of the seats made such a massive difference in Scotland and Wales, as opposed to England.

The Theresa May bit is just laughable. Mind you, I think Theresa May's solution would have been identical in its effects on NI. simply because I believe it was essentially the same deal, just packaged differently.

The "hole" was that, due to the way the Leave campaign was managed and voted for, the sensible options-such as the UK being in some form of Customs Union/EFTA etc-could not be used as (at the very least) a transitional tool.

Not the sharpest tool.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Tory spin at its finest.

She could think about moving to NI, and joining the DUP.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Ex-Brexit minister Lord Frost says he's ready to renounce his peerage and return to 'real politics' with run for a Commons seat - but rules out standing in Honiton by-election as he attacks mandarins who 'regret' vote to leave the EU

In an appearance on GB News with Nigel Farage he turned down a plea from the former Brexit Party leader turned TV presenter to stand in Tiverton and Honiton by-election.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10802213/Ex-Brexit-minister-Lord-Frost-says-hes-ready-renounce-peerage-run-Commons-seat.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Fines latest.
    Another 50 issued.
  • Options