You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

A nostalgic top 20 cheers Phil.

TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,201
The recent quiz set by @Essexphil got me rummaging through my boxes of old 45's in a desperate search for punk and in doing so caused many a forgotten tune to be played. Yes I still have a turntable.

Now I discovered punk in 76 as a spotty 13 year old and although by late 79 I was getting heavily into the N.W.O.B.H.M scene, I have always enjoyed the raw, desperation of punk and so here is my personal top 20 punk songs.

These will court some controversy as to whether the bands are true punk. Some that began life in the punk genre evolved into bigger things but as I said it's a personal choice so lets see if any of the following make your top 20 list.

N.B. the list is in no particular order

01 Anarchy in the U.K - The Sex Pistols

02 Tommy Gun - The Clash

03 No More Heroes - The Stranglers

04 Into The Valley - The Skids

05 Ever Fallen in Love - The Buzzcocks

06 Hurry Up Harry - Sham 69

07 Top of the Pops - The Rezzilos

08 War on The Terraces - The Cockney Rejects

09 At The Edge - Stiff Little Fingers

10 So What - Anti Nowhere League

11 Back of my Hand (I got your number) - The Jags

12 Looking After Number One - The Boomtown Rats

13 In The City - The Jam

14 Pretty in Pink - The Psychedelic Furs

15 King Rocker - Generation X

16 God Save the Queen - The Sex Pistols

17 Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones

18 Ca Plane Por Moi - Plastic Bertrand

19. She's So Modern - The Boomtown Rats

20 White Riot - The Clash.

Arguments could be made for many others to be included. I have stuff by X Ray Spex, The Damned, Souixse, Toyah, The Rutts, The Slits, early Blondie, Angelic Upstarts, Crass, Toy Dolls, Exploited and more.

Comments

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,031
    UK Subs
    The Adverts
    Sham 69

Those were the days...
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,037
    VespaPX said:

UK Subs
    The Adverts
    Sham 69

Those were the days...

Read somewhere that we all remember the music of when we were 14. I'm so thankful for me it was 1977-75/76 had some dreadful pap.

I know we disagree on lots, Vespa. I'm sure we would both be far more concerned if we agreed :) Just wanted to say that I appreciate you mentioning when you do agree, and to wish you & yours a great Xmas.

As I type this, my music is on...

"Stranglehold on me, stranglehold on me, got a stranglehold on me"
  • Options
    Thanks Phil
    All the best.
  • Options
    somniatissomniatis Member Posts: 219
    "Yeah, But this one goes all the way up to 11."

1. Crass - Do They Owe Us A Living ( ...Corse they **** do!)
    2. Crisis - PC One-Nine-Eight-Four
    3. Wire - 1 2 X U
    4. The Mekons - Where Were You?
    5. Death In June - Fields
    6. SLF - White Noise
    7. Anti Nowhere League - I Hate People
    8. Chaos UK - Kill Your Baby
    9. Killjoys - Johnny Wont Go To Heaven
    10. Poison Girls - Persons Unknown
    11. Riot Squad - **** The Tories
  • Options
    Do you think music you listen to in your teenage years affects your thinking as you grow up?
  • Options
    VespaPX said:

Do you think music you listen to in your teenage years affects your thinking as you grow up?

Hmm. That's an interesting question. I was into punk, which in turn led me to get into metal.

Now whilst I would still consider myself a metalhead, even at 58, the greatest number of albums I own by a single artist/ group is by Neil Diamond 29 at the last count.

I also have a lot of Christian music, from Metal through to worship, gospel and stuff such as Pentatonix.

I think it's more a case of the peer groups that you associate with as you go through teenage years that can mould your thinking rather than the music itself.

Certainly the no future message carried by punk in the mid to late 70s was appropriate and true, but it wasn't until we got to our mid 30's with some life experience that we realised just how true that the ethos was at the time.

To answer your question from my own perspective music has to move me to a state. Now whether that's joy, anger, tears, despair, hope or regret doesn't matter, what matters is that it moves me to an emotion.

All I know is that it took almost 30 years to get past the Thatcher inspired I'm alright fk you mentality that separated the haves from the have nots of the late 70s, so maybe punk didn't influence our thinking enough.

• Options
    What would be todays equivalent of punk?
    Has there been any since the early 80's?
    Whatever happened to protest songs?

Is it a case of, if Simon Cowell doesn't like it, you're not going to get a record deal?
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    I was always a bit daft when I was younger, nothin much has changed.
  • Options
    I suppose the rave movement was akin to punk in that millions of youth defied authority, took drugs and generally became part of a culture that mainstream Britain couldn't understand. Also like punk it was very much a DIY thing in the beginning, but then unable to get a grip on it Thatcher passed laws and forced the raves into the clubs like The Hacienda, Shellys and Ministry of Sound.

There are/ were protest songs but they tend to be aimed at specific themes rather than general protest.

Rage against the Machines "Killing in the name of" and "Bullet in the head", Metallicas "One", GnRs "Civil War", Iron Maidens "2 minutes to midnight" and System of a Downs B.Y.O.B all denounce war, its futility and the fact that its the little man who fights and dies for the financial gain of mega business.

Rap still continues to deliver protest about lack of opportunity and discrimination whilst often and ironically promoting the gang life, and several artists have recorded songs that protest such ideas as body shaming, homophobia etc

But yes there is no longer a protest movement which punk certainly was and I don't think there will be another. Certainly the likes of Billy Bragg and John Cooper Clarke will not be seen again.

"There's no future and England's dreaming"

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Not punk but way before its time
    Powerful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQUXuQ6Zd9w
  • Options
    Were Sabbath the first heavy metal band ?, they were the first I ever heard, I remember watchin some TV documentry that said the Kinks were the first, but I wouldnae think so.
  • Options
    sillymidsillymid Member Posts: 81
    I could write a Top 20 list but I would probably change it tomorrow.

If you regard I'm Stranded by The Saints https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(I%27m)_Stranded as the first punk album and Inflammable Material by Still Little Fingers as the last then there is some great music in between.

We can argue forever about what is and isn't New Wave, Power Pop plus Post punk etc. and we all think that the music from our teenage years is best - but no other time in popular music has been as creative (as documented in Simon Reynolds book "Rip It Up and Start Again").

The true spirit of punk has only been carried on through the years by one group and that is The Fall.
  • Options
    rabdeniro said:

Were Sabbath the first heavy metal band ?, they were the first I ever heard, I remember watchin some TV documentry that said the Kinks were the first, but I wouldnae think so.

I don't really know where the distinction between heavy rock and heavy metal lies. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with Sabbath being acknowledged as the first true heavy metal band. Certainly many heavy rock bands of the time UFO, Priest, Scorpions etc became known as heavy metal bands although the bands of NWOBHM are credited with the genre.
  • Options
    sillymid said:

I could write a Top 20 list but I would probably change it tomorrow.

If you regard I'm Stranded by The Saints https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(I%27m)_Stranded as the first punk album and Inflammable Material by Still Little Fingers as the last then there is some great music in between.

We can argue forever about what is and isn't New Wave, Power Pop plus Post punk etc. and we all think that the music from our teenage years is best - but no other time in popular music has been as creative (as documented in Simon Reynolds book "Rip It Up and Start Again").

The true spirit of punk has only been carried on through the years by one group and that is The Fall.

There are many definitions and arguments about what is, or is not, punk. Totally agree. As an example of someone who divides opinion, Plastic Bertrand was definitely punk for me, but not for others. Wire-too arty? Punk for me. Leyton Buzzards might have morphed into Modern Romance (yuk) but punks for me-"I don't want to go to art school" was great.

One thing where punk does not get enough credit, is that it was the first genre to have large amounts of female stars. Compare/contrast with Glam (Suzi Quatro & precious little else) or indeed Metal.

I am not knocking The Fall's undoubted contribution. But it does slightly annoy me that Fall fans tend to believe the Fall are the only Punks that matter these days. 999. The Lurkers. John Otway. All still touring. All still great.

Rap certainly had some things in common with Punk. Drill probably has even more.

PS-Shot by Both Sides. What a truly great song that is.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,281
    Excellent thread this one. Kudos to @Essexphil for picking Ieya by Toyah, that beings back memories of playing that track and Danced over and over again until the tape broke.

Then mention of John Otway, what a legend he is, saw him play at university and then he stayed chatting and drinking with us until the early hours, really nice guy.
  • Options
    Enut said:

Excellent thread this one. Kudos to @Essexphil for picking Ieya by Toyah, that beings back memories of playing that track and Danced over and over again until the tape broke.

Then mention of John Otway, what a legend he is, saw him play at university and then he stayed chatting and drinking with us until the early hours, really nice guy.

The reason I love threads like this is it reminds me of great music I have forgotten.

Saw Toyah in 1980 on The Blue Meaning tour. Only went cos a friend was a fan-what a performer. There are some iffy versions on the internet. Try "Live at the Church in Dundee, 2019"-it is the Encore at about 1:22.

I have been a fan of John Otway since Really Free/Beware of the Flowers (Cos I'm sure they're gonna get you yeah). Even my Stars poker name is "Otwayfan". Given his 2nd hit at the age of 50 by his fanclub. Or, as he says, it took him 25 years to get the "s" on the right side of "hit"....
  • Options
    I think lockdown is driving Toyah a bit mental.....

https://youtu.be/khkKfMotNoI