You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Oscars Smackdown.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,790
edited March 2022 in The Rail
Chaos at Oscars as Will Smith SLAPS Chris Rock and launches foul-mouthed tirade after the comedian jokes about wife Jada Pinkett Smith's 'G.I. Jane' haircut... minutes before he wins the Best Actor award and defends attack during speech

https://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2022/03/28/6778852254215129163/964x580_MP4_6778852254215129163.mp4
https://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2022/03/28/454162457364774676/636x382_MP4_454162457364774676.mp4

Smith strode on to the stage and slapped Rock after the firebrand comedian cracked jokes about the haircut of Smith's wife Jada Pinkett Smith in a shocking scene that was broadcast live around the world and stunned the live audience at the Dolby Theatre. Rock staggered and exclaimed 'wow, Will Smith just smacked the s**t out of me.' Smith, visibly emotional, walked back to his seat in the audience and shouted: 'Keep my wife's name out of your f***ing mouth.' Just minutes later Smith won his first Academy Award for his portrayal of Richard Williams, the determined father who raised tennis champions Venus and Serena Williams, in 'King Richard.' Accepting the award, Smith issued a tearful apology for his outburst, saying: 'I want to apologize to the Academy, I want to apologize to all my fellow nominees. This is a beautiful moment. Richard Williams was a fierce defender of his family,' said the clearly emotional Smith. 'In this time in my life, in this moment I am overwhelmed by what God is calling on me to do.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10658211/Oscars-2022-Beyonc-kicks-Oscars-pre-taped-performance.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myjEoDypUD8

Comments

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,978
    An actor taking offence to a comedian telling a joke.

No different to people objecting to a role that an actor plays.

Get over yourself. Idiot. And don't hide behind God for your actions.
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,018
    edited March 2022
    If it was staged, in many ways that is worse.

People act for a living. The pinnacle of achievement for many is an Oscar. So why pull a stunt that removes the Winners (other than Mr Smith, of course) from the Headlines?

If it was staged, he should be banned from attending ever again.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,790
    Essexphil said:

I think it was more to do with the joke.
    Some jokes are in very poor taste.
    Like taking the pi55 out of an alopecia sufferer.
    Bring back Ricky Gervais
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I think it was more to do with the joke.
    Some jokes are in very poor taste.
    Like taking the pi55 out of an alopecia sufferer.
    And particularly a female alopecia sufferer.
    Essexphil said:

People act for a living. The pinnacle of achievement for many is an Oscar. So why pull a stunt that removes the Winners (other than Mr Smith, of course) from the Headlines?

If his abusive outburst, and the tears were staged, he is a very good actor.
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

He is. He's just won an Oscar. For doing his job.

While objecting to a comedian doing his. Whose job is to poke fun at various famous people. That's why it is a comedian who gets that gig. Who is entitled to be able to do his job without being assaulted. Plus, if that wasn't staged, there are now some security guys in a heap of trouble.

You think that joke was offensive? Really? Don't ever see any comedian live. Ever.

Compare/contrast with Leonardo diCaprio.

edited March 2022
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Well spotted.
    That was my feeble attempt at being a comedian.

While objecting to a comedian doing his. Whose job is to poke fun at various famous people. That's why it is a comedian who gets that gig. Who is entitled to be able to do his job without being assaulted. Plus, if that wasn't staged, there are now some security guys in a heap of trouble.

You think that joke was offensive? Really? Don't ever see any comedian live. Ever.

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Well spotted.
    That was my feeble attempt at being a comedian.

Fair comment.

But it is also worth pointing out that Will Smith started out as a comedian/musician. Pretty sure he has poked fun at a lot of people. Without anyone feeling the need to assault him.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,625
    I wonder what GI Jane thinks
    Gervais took the pi$$ out of the hypocrisy of the industry not anyone's illness/condition
    stokefc said:

Gervais took the pi$$ out of the hypocrisy of the industry not anyone's illness/condition

Nope. He made fun of absolutely everything.

Meanwhile, diCaprio manages to laugh at being compared unfavourably to Prince Andrew...

Because he is an Actor. And accepts that, while people are playing a role, you should not take every word someone says seriously...
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,625
    Essexphil said:

stokefc said:

Nope. He made fun of absolutely everything.

Meanwhile, diCaprio manages to laugh at being compared unfavourably to Prince Andrew...

Because he is an Actor. And accepts that, while people are playing a role, you should not take every word someone says seriously...
    Fair enough Phil, i don't watch any of that stuff i just thought Gervais wouldn't make fun of the afflicted
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I am too grumpy to have any interest in watching any comedy whatsoever.
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,004
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,004
    At least the British do it with a bit more decorum...

Good job it wasn't Alec Baldwins wife
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,121
    lucy4 said:

Never in my "professional career" seen a strike delivered or taken quite like that. Almost certainly choreographed but obviously with some contact for credibility. In training terms it's a semi contact sparring strike at best.

Even leaning in toward the blow and with what appears a decent brace any reasonable slap is leaving the recipient dazed. Also Smiths slap is from the elbow not the shoulder and he doesn't turn into it either so very little power generated.

Trust me a properly delivered power slap can be more devastating than a punch, this was by all definitions "weak a55ed sh1t"
    Predictable