You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Site Unplayable

HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,139
This has got steadily worse and my volume on here has reduced to a trickle, playing on internet as I still cant download the client, have posted about this but got no response.

Really disappointed as I used to really enjoy playing here, have 2 tournaments running (any more it freezes too much) at the moment, can't play either of them because they freeze every 2 minutes, this is even worse than usual, giving up on them.

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,821
    edited April 2022
    @HENDRIK62

Sorry to hear this Hendo.

2 MTT's & it freezes every 2 minutes? I'm well aware that multi-tabling can cause crashes but every 2 minutes sounds horrendous, & I'm sure that's not widespread. There are players who are regularly multi-tabling 10 or 12 tables, (more in some cases) & yes, they have crashes from time to time but not to the extent you describe.

Browser or DC?

How long has this been the case?
  • tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,578
    edited April 2022
    HENDRIK62 said:

This has got steadily worse and my volume on here has reduced to a trickle, playing on internet as I still cant download the client, have posted about this but got no response.

Really disappointed as I used to really enjoy playing here, have 2 tournaments running (any more it freezes too much) at the moment, can't play either of them because they freeze every 2 minutes, this is even worse than usual, giving up on them.

Ditto. Me too. Same problems.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,821
    tai-gar said:

HENDRIK62 said:

@tai-gar

DC or browser?
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
    The only suggestion you can make in these spots is for people to post their exact pc specs and then make comparisons to see if there are any consistencies for those having problems.

Like Tikay said some people can play 10+ tables without issue, myself included, but that is on the client.

Why can't you download the client btw?
    Tikay10 said:

tai-gar said:

HENDRIK62 said:

@tai-gar

DC or browser?
    On iMac through Safari. If I play more than 1 game at a time the site freezes. I have to close Skypoker altogether and reopen.

It will do it every time with more than one table open but sometimes does it with just one table.
  • HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,139
    edited April 2022
    tai-gar said:

Tikay10 said:

tai-gar said:

HENDRIK62 said:

@tai-gar

DC or browser?
    On iMac through Safari. If I play more than 1 game at a time the site freezes. I have to close Skypoker altogether and reopen.

It will do it every time with more than one table open but sometimes does it with just one table.
    Exactly same with me, I play on a Mac too, used to be fine on the old DC but I cant get that to load now, have tried it with the new Harman version of air, it worked for about a week but not anymore, maybe its a Mac issue?
    Tikay10 said:

@HENDRIK62

Sorry to hear this Hendo.

2 MTT's & it freezes every 2 minutes? I'm well aware that multi-tabling can cause crashes but every 2 minutes sounds horrendous, & I'm sure that's not widespread. There are players who are regularly multi-tabling 10 or 12 tables, (more in some cases) & yes, they have crashes from time to time but not to the extent you describe.

Browser or DC?

How long has this been the case?

I used to play up to 8 tables when I did lots of DYMs for years, even when I was playing predominantly MTTs here (maybe 3 or 4 max) I was also playing 4 tables cash on another site .
    This has been an issue since the air update last year but it has been really bad for the last month and got to point tonight where I just gave up, as I say I much prefer this site than the others I play on but I can still multi table on them.

The only suggestion you can make in these spots is for people to post their exact pc specs and then make comparisons to see if there are any consistencies for those having problems.

Like Tikay said some people can play 10+ tables without issue, myself included, but that is on the client.

Why can't you download the client btw?

It just won't open, I have tried what you suggested on the other thread, ie getting rid of all versions of air and the dc then trying to download it all again unfortunately to no avail
  • NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 846
    PKRPar said:

Sky has been hanging on for soo long, but this is the first time in a long time i can feel it winding up ... despite vegas promo.

gtds missing all over the shot, no easter ukops, financial regulations clearly affecting numbers and the list goes on.

i know its poker wide but hurts more here as i class sky as my poker go to.
    :(

Did we ever have an Easter UKOPs? I find myself forgetting stuff all the time but I think in the ten years I have played here there have always been two, one in the autumn and one at Christmas. Am I going mad?

I do think guarantees often get missed on days when the weather gets better, particularly in the summer. This happens to all poker sites, online poker is a very seasonal business. Generally the guarantees get reduced and then they go up again in the autumn.
    edited April 2022
    It looks like it's a mac issue then.

UKGC regs definitely hurt Sky way way way more because we're UK only. Sky has ridden many waves and it always persists, even if they have to downsize. This particular wave is more of a tsunami, tho.

Every year the doomsayers come along saying the end is nigh. It's inevitable. However the fact Sky Poker still attracts so many customers with this software is absolutely shocking and actually a big positive in my opinion.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    NChanning said:

PKRPar said:

Sky has been hanging on for soo long, but this is the first time in a long time i can feel it winding up ... despite vegas promo.

gtds missing all over the shot, no easter ukops, financial regulations clearly affecting numbers and the list goes on.

i know its poker wide but hurts more here as i class sky as my poker go to.
    :(

Did we ever have an Easter UKOPs? I find myself forgetting stuff all the time but I think in the ten years I have played here there have always been two, one in the autumn and one at Christmas. Am I going mad?

I do think guarantees often get missed on days when the weather gets better, particularly in the summer. This happens to all poker sites, online poker is a very seasonal business. Generally the guarantees get reduced and then they go up again in the autumn.
    1. There has been an Easter UKOPS in recent years. It has tended to be shorter than the other 2. I always presumed it was primarily intended to be a fillip prior to reducing numbers as Summer approaches. However, it was decided to focus instead on the Vegas Sats.

2. True what you say about the better weather. However, the dip normally only starts at Easter. They did not go up last Autumn-they were (for the first time) going down, rather than up. At a time when Sky is normally considering starting to reduce Guarantees, the Guarantees are already down to the lowest levels I can remember. The Main is already down to a £5k guaranteed. Including re-entry. And missing that. I'm not sure how much lower it can go, while remaining viable

3. The Guarantees did not go up last Autumn. It seems optimistic to assume they will this Autumn. The Market is shrinking. The Squeeze on finance will accelerate that, as will the UKGC. Sky Poker has, under both its recent new Owners, invested £0 in software and advertising for the Poker-compare/contrast with the rest of Sky B&G.

I like Sky. I like the people who work for it, and are associated with it. I sincerely hope its Owners feel the same way.

But-if they do-they have a funny way of showing it.
  • NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 846
    Blimey...just checked my diary...there was an Easter UKOPS last year and in 2020...I'd completely forgotten about that. Did it come in as the site was exceptionally busy due to Covid and lots of other sites put series on? I think you are right and we didn't have lots of Vegas sats to fill in the last two years and the two things together might compete with each other.

I definitely wasn't arguing that the cost of living crisis, extra regulation from the UK Gambling Commission and the fact that people are not locked down anymore hasn't caused less people to be playing online poker on all sites than there were two years ago...I was simply saying that the recent missed guarantees are almost 100% to do with the weather.
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited April 2022
    NChanning said:

Blimey...just checked my diary...there was an Easter UKOPS last year and in 2020...I'd completely forgotten about that. Did it come in as the site was exceptionally busy due to Covid and lots of other sites put series on? I think you are right and we didn't have lots of Vegas sats to fill in the last two years and the two things together might compete with each other.

I definitely wasn't arguing that the cost of living crisis, extra regulation from the UK Gambling Commission and the fact that people are not locked down anymore hasn't caused less people to be playing online poker on all sites than there were two years ago...I was simply saying that the recent missed guarantees are almost 100% to do with the weather.

As far as I can remember there has always been an Easter UKOPS but @Tikay10 can correct me if I am wrong and it is a recent thing due to covid etc.

On the other sites I play on they don't seem to have the same issues with guarantees which is a worry for lots of us who have considered ourselves loyal customers to sky for a number of years.
  • spearsy136spearsy136 Member Posts: 114
    I have already started to play more on other sites in preparation for sky going. Gtds miss all the time now
  • Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 764
    It's a huge shame to see the site in the position that it is now. Guarantees are obviously going to struggle more at this time of the year, but some of them are missing by miles. And you can't really keep axing tourneys/guarantees because that will drive more people away.

Obviously the software issues we already know about, some people tolerate them but others are starting to go elsewhere because of it. The main issue for me is that there just seems to be no ambition to reinvigorate the site and we don't hear very much from those higher up - people need to be reassured that there are plans in place to improve the site/poker experience and that its members are still cared for. Right now, it just appears that Sky are just accepting the current situation for what it is, and it's resulting in loyal customers going elsewhere to play their poker. I pretty much play almost all my online poker on Sky, but the current situation is quite unsettling.

In my opinion, not having the usual Easter UKOPS alongside the Vegas stuff was a misjudgment - I have seen a lot of people query why there wasn't one.
  • Sky__JamesSky__James Member Posts: 434
    I think there has always been some kind of Easter UKOPS. The last 2 years just happened to have taken place during lockdowns so we could comfortably raise guarantees. Easter also fell later and mid month this year (nice weather).

With the promo budget being taken up by the Vegas promos, if I had put on a typical series without giving away free entries we would have suffered a very large total overlay which I'd have to explain to the higher ups so I don't feel it was a misjudgement.

To the original point about the Mac issues I have passed it on to be investigated.
    The Vegas promo is so astonishingly amazing. These sort of super high value promos just don't happen in the industry much nowadays.

It is incredible that a smaller site like Sky offer better promos than some of the biggest sites that have tens of thousands playing at one time. I think people underestimate how generous Sky's promos actually are.

That said, all the doomsaying threads are prevalent on 2p2 as well and have been for a decade. Basically any poker forum has a % of threads predicting the apocalypse, and many people agree, but it hasn't happened yet.

I think there has always been some kind of Easter UKOPS. The last 2 years just happened to have taken place during lockdowns so we could comfortably raise guarantees. Easter also fell later and mid month this year (nice weather).

With the promo budget being taken up by the Vegas promos, if I had put on a typical series without giving away free entries we would have suffered a very large total overlay which I'd have to explain to the higher ups so I don't feel it was a misjudgement.

To the original point about the Mac issues I have passed it on to be investigated.

Many thanks would love to see the problems resolved if at all possible.
    tai-gar said:

Many thanks would love to see the problems resolved if at all possible.
    Ditto, tyvm