You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Living life on the Edge (Poker, challenges, betting and life) Another blooming diary !

13»

Comments

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,523
    Supporting Stoke damages your health shocker (or Stoke actually win a game shocker!) ;)

Hope you recover well, and look after yourself now pal.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,028
    Essexphil said:

Hi Mark

Glad you're OK-must have been scary for a while there.

It's the simple steps you need to take. Diet (as in healthier food, https://ca1-exe.edcdn.com/DS21_7096-Weald_Mapv6.pdf) first, then try and lose some weight. Not preaching-previously had the need to do exactly that.

You also need to avoid too much excitement. So no harm in continuing to watch Stoke :)

Whenever I see the phrase "shot across the bows", I think back to a lovely, but dim, Secretary I once had. I dictated "shot across the bows". I got back....

"Sh1t across the bowels". Which made my day.

Take care

Phil

I don't know if I've highlighted the correct words but I'd like to put my 2 pence worth in to this debate. Calorie control is the biggest issue in losing weight, I've done all the silly 'Carb,Denial,Diets,etc' The only thing that worked was a strict calorie controlled diet. I was 23 stone and could hardly walk without getting breathless. It was then I decided I had to do something and within 7 months I was down to 15 stone.
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Sorry to hear about this Mark however you are being practical about it all. Regardless that would have been a bit of a shock I guess.

Delighted that you are rested up and seemingly a lot better now.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,213

**** **** Mark, that was a scary read. I am never without my GTN spray, carry it everywhere & have done for over 5 years but thankfully never had to use it yet. It's a miraculous (short-term) thing.

Now let's see you get some of that surplus timber off. GL mate.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    edited August 2022
    I've Only ever used the spray one time and I think it knocked me oot, the Doc gave me a spray, then another one 10 mins later, then ah got another shot from the paramedics, doon ah went.
    It made me a bit wary for a while, if you need to take it make sure yer sittin doon.
    I was also told you can take it before, for example, if you go a bike ride or going a long walk and you think you may struggle.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    rabdeniro said:

I've Only ever used the spray one time and I think it knocked me oot, the Doc gave me a spray, then another one 10 mins later, then ah got another shot from the paramedics, doon ah went.
    It made me a bit wary for a while, if you need to take it make sure yer sittin doon.
    I was also told you can take it before, for example, if you go a bike ride or going a long walk and you think you may struggle.

It's a long walk to your car when Stoke lose which is pretty regularly so that's a great idea Rab :)
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,157
    edited August 2022
    Really appreciate all the messages of support guys not just here but faceache and twatter as well.

Sorting diet out first, then an exercise programme that doesn't involve training like an idiot, cutting down on the stress elements and just learning to enjoy simple things.

I'm currently at the caravan with my good lady and two of my grand daughters 8 and 7, funny names for girls really but what can you do? and never realised the absolute joy and delight of just listening to two young girls having fun, being silly and just being kids.

The car started running rough and the missus really thought that would set me off on a rant (it didn't used to take much) but you know what I've got RAC so it's their problem and the upshot is that it's now running better and in the morning its going into an RAC approved garage for some new plugs and a coil.

I didn't stress at all, it's not worth it, its a freaking piece of metal and plastic, French metal and plastic but hey what you gonna do eh?.

Stoke lost tonight on penalties to 10 man Morecambe, that would usually trigger a meltdown of epic proportions. No, it's a competition we don't need, we get a few weeknights off, less bookings, less injuries, it's no biggie.

I'm even going to refrain from taking potshots on the forum at the usual targets, let's be honest, they are never going to deviate from their ways and actually ignoring them is probably even more maddening to them.

So I'm alive and well and positive about the future. Sport and betting will still be a part of my life as it always has been and poker will also feature although getting trips cracked by a runner, runner will no longer cause the chatbox filter to go into overdrive.

A feeling of contentment is going to be the driving force for me from now on, an understanding of what matters really and the acceptance that I can't change anything outside of my own life so there's little point getting to boiling point about it.

That doesn't mean that I'm going to remain silent on points of social justice and poverty, abuse and neglect, exploitation and all the other things that I feel I'm called to expose, I'm just going to stop taking it personally.

Oh and as for my faith well that's something I've been asked a lot since Saturday, people want to know if I now feel closer to God or whether somehow I am further from Him.

The honest answer is I'm not sure, certainly I feel a little aggrieved that I ended up in such a humiliating situation and yet grateful that the people around me were blessed with the skills to stabilise me.

It's a bit like a sarcastic Wow thanks for that God I needed that like I need a hole in the head. Followed by a sincere wow thanks God for the people who got me through that. Looking forward to a chat with the Pastor over coffee on Monday about that one.

So once again a sincere thank you to everybody for your good wishes, I'm off to bed and before 1am. I've got to go swimming with my princesses again tomorrow.

Live, Love, Laugh, and nothing else matters guys.

Sincerely

Mark.

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,523
    Glad you are taking stock Mark. Seems you have got your head screwed on the right way (Apart from supporting Stoke, that is ;) )

Enjoy your 'rest' down the caravan with the grand kids.

I'm even going to refrain from taking potshots on the forum at the usual targets, let's be honest, they are never going to deviate from their ways and actually ignoring them is probably even more maddening to them.

^^^ This. It took me a while to come to this conclusion, but with advice from others wiser than me, this is defo the best policy. Haters are always going to hate.

Cheers, Alan.
  • Options
    Well it's so typical of me that after more than 2 years of lockdowns, social distancing and following the "rules" I have Covid.

The missus tested positive on Friday and whilst I was feeling a bit under the weather I was returning negative tests. Until last night.

Just to be on the safe side I did 2 different tests and yup both showed a positive result.

It's like the worst feeling ever, no energy at all, horrendous sore throat due to a persistent cough, sweating like a man on trial for his life, no appetite, aching head and my bones hurt, every joint.

I never imagined it would be like this and to make matters worse, my wife has major underlying health conditions. We are both trying to do our best for each other but when it takes 5 minutes to walk to the bathroom from the living room it's all you can do to care for yourself.

Won't be posting much if at all, just want to sleep and I've already spent 20 of the last 24 hours sleeping, might even have to get @Tikay10 to move my Hitman entry because right now I just can't see myself being in a position to play.

Some lucky friend will be getting to use my Stoke City Season Card for Saturday. My best mate is a Port Vale fan so I reckon it will be him.

Take care people. Live, love, laugh

Mark
  • Options

Crikey, that's awful news Mark. And yes, I know how bad it can be, I had it too & it was horrendous. Best wishes to you & Mrs Mark.

If you decide to defer Thursday's Hitman entry, no problem, just let me know. Would probably be better if you did, but it's your call.

GWS mate.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,275
    edited August 2022
    Get well soon @TheEdge949 & Mrs Edge, seems like there's a lot of it about again.

My poor old mum has it at the moment, although she's a bit younger than @Tikay10 it's still not pleasant at nearly 80. I'm also the worst son ever as I didn't pick up her message telling me until yesterday although she left it on Friday, oops!
  • Options

@Enut

Sigh.
  • Options
    Enut said:

Get well soon @TheEdge949 & Mrs Edge, seems like there's a lot of it about again.

My poor old mum has it at the moment, although she's a bit younger than @Tikay10 it's still not pleasant at nearly 80. I'm also the worst son ever as I didn't pick up her message telling me until yesterday although she left it on Friday, oops!

Surely your butler would have taken the message or at the very least one of the lesser staff you keep around your palatial home and grounds
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    Delap :D
  • Options
    Hi everyone and welcome to the latest installment, hope you are all smashing life.

Ok to poker first and finally after what seems like ages had a deep run in tonight's mini for a 10th place and a few heads. Unfortunately the free entry into last Thursdays main did not yield anything except perhaps confirmation that a cobbler should stick to his last and all that.

Chess wise it's not particularly good either as my daily rating is down to 570 although as most players I play are 1000 or higher it's a slow learning process. for those who understand such things my rapid rating is 960 and my blitz rating 490. Just started playing 960 variant and have a 430 rating in that. Still it's all enjoyable.

Haven't focussed to much on any sports trading of late, been a little busy trying to sort my life out so will return to that in a few weeks.

The health issues are still under investigation but I have cautiously began simple exercise and am eating so much cleaner, I have managed to lose 3lb per week for the last 3 weeks and have finally got under 24 stone, I know it's not earth shattering but it represents a shift in attitude and outlook.

So far since getting my Season Card I've missed three of four games which isn't ideal but it's a good punishment for those family members who displease me.

The Great Wall Challenge is still there with about 18% left to complete. Doctors orders are to leave it alone until the effects of Covid are well and truly behind me, I'm not going to argue as at the moment my 4 year old Grandson has more strength and endurance than me. The smallest amount of exertion and I'm wrecked physically. Honestly putting the bins out requires a 40m walk there and back and it takes 10 minutes and a rest. Thank goodness I can sleep 10 - 14 hours a day.

My physio has found a course designed to reintroduce long covid victims back into exercise comprising simple movements and breathing techniques so I'm game for anything that will get me back to the gym.

Away from all that life still goes on as normal, although with the cost of living crisis I am desperate to get back to foodbank and other projects that are necessary and much in demand. I find it somewhat chastening to think that while I've been bemoaning illness and ill health I have the luxury of doing it from a warm, dry and safe house complete with food in the cupboards and clothes on my back and the love of family and friends. I honestly cannot imagine how those without such amenities and support can cope with chronic illness.

So at the moment I'm thankful for my life and those I love. Never miss a chance to tell people you love them, honestly guys knowing that someone loves you is the best feeling so spread it around yeah.

Ok until next time, live, love, laugh.

Mark
  • Options

Hang in there Mark, I imagine Long COVID is dreadful. I had a mild version and it's an experience I never want to endure again.

"I have managed to lose 3lb per week for the last 3 weeks "

That's a great start - hope you can keep it going. Losing weight is immensely satisfying & very good for self-esteem.
  • Options
    Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767
    Nice, positive update Mark, great to read that you're still upbeat despite the recent setbacks.

Hope you're back to full health very soon mate. :smile: