You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Implanted Debit Cards/ Car Keys?

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,537
edited August 2022 in The Rail
Would you implant a tiny debit card chip in your hand? Forget fingerprint or facial recognition... 'biometric' payment is being touted as the future

London-based Walletmor claims to be the first company in the world to sell contactless bank-card chips that can be implanted into humans.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cardsloans/article-11005783/Would-implant-tiny-debit-card-chip-hand.html

Comments

• Options
    No need for cash with these?
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,281
    Muggers go from snatching your wallet to hacking off your hands.

Seriously though we can do this but world hunger and poverty is beyond our ability. Science has its priorities 4rse about face.

Also on a lighter note imagine those countries where leprosy is still a real issue they'd forever be losing their chipped body part.
  • Options

Seriously though we can do this but world hunger and poverty is beyond our ability. Science has its priorities 4rse about face.

Also on a lighter note imagine those countries where leprosy is still a real issue they'd forever be losing their chipped body part.

There are probably many more people that lose their cards, than those that get mugged.
    No more losing your card.
    Also there probably a limited number of muggers that are prepared to chop your hand off.
    Therefore less muggings.
    I would agree that a small number of medical conditions would make it impossible for this idea to work for those suffering from them.
  • Options
    ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 910
    I've made it home from many a night out legless but never handless...
  • Options
    PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,233
    apple pay is pretty much this.
  • Options

I think that primarily, the use of this would be on an "in person" basis, rather than anything else.
    So the main use would be for transactions in shops, pubs, petrol stations, supermarkets, restaurants etc.
    Therefore the likelihood of someone turning up with someone elses chopped off hand in order to process the transaction is very low, and actually getting away with it, very slim.

Using a phone to process internet transaction already provides plenty of security.
    You can opt for facial, fingerprint or iris recognition to get into the phone, a password to access your bank, in addition to another password to log into a retail account, before paying for anything.
    This will of course represent the risk of getting your head/finger chopped off, or your eye poked out, by a criminal in order to gain access to your phone.
    Although I have not heard of many cases to date.
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited July 2022
    There has been hints and talks of this in circles for many years.

No desire to be chipped, barcoded, finger printed or eye recognised in any way.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    uswitch are literally going to have their work cut out :)
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

Lots of people are touchy about this sort of stuff.
    I find this strange when you look at the stuff that we do as a matter of course.
    We part with our details to all and sundry when opening any number of online accounts, without question.
    We all have smart phones that allow authorities to access all our communications, even when they have been deleted.
    They also allow authorities to track our movements at any time.
    We install smart meters.
    We wear fitbits, or use other similar apps.
    There is CCTV just about everywhere you go.
    Facial recognition cameras are becoming a thing.
    ANPR cameras also track our movements.
    The list goes on and on.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

I find this strange when you look at the stuff that we do as a matter of course.
    We part with our details to all and sundry when opening any number of online accounts, without question.
    We all have smart phones that allow authorities to access all our communications, even when they have been deleted.
    We install smart meters.
    The list goes on and on.
    I hear you.

It's intrusive and quite worrying. Always been uneasy about this kind of stuff.

We do and if not we are "off the grid" and lose out on services if not "connected".

CCTV are you talking about? Normally do not give this loads of thought however would prefer it not to be on most street corners (maybe they are not). Can see it from two sides of the coin. Not all bad - helps prosecute criminals which is the good side of it.

We install smart meters.

It's good for people to track their bills and useful that way. Maybe there is another side to it.

Not one for these really. Would use sparingly if focused on a short term target say getting in 10,000 steps per day for a short period, say over 6 weeks or so. Roughly translated that's about 5 miles give or take a few 0.kms.

Some use them daily which is fine although if generally doing the same walks per day either at work or for leisure/fitness then personally don't see great value in them. Others like to compare and use as guides - helps them stay focused. More power to them and know a few like that!

Seeing these pop up in Asda and I think Morrisons never fail to give me the creeps. Just why? Not at ease with this technology either.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

We install smart meters.
    The list goes on and on.
    I hear you.

We do and if not we are "off the grid" and lose out on services if not "connected".

CCTV are you talking about? Normally do not give this loads of thought however would prefer it not to be on most street corners (maybe they are not). Can see it from two sides of the coin. Not all bad - helps prosecute criminals which is the good side of it.

We install smart meters.

It's good for people to track their bills and useful that way. Maybe there is another side to it.

Not one for these really. Would use sparingly if focused on a short term target say getting in 10,000 steps per day for a short period, say over 6 weeks or so. Roughly translated that's about 5 miles give or take a few 0.kms.

Some use them daily which is fine although if generally doing the same walks per day either at work or for leisure/fitness then personally don't see great value in them. Others like to compare and use as guides - helps them stay focused. More power to them and know a few like that!

Seeing these pop up in Asda and I think Morrisons never fail to give me the creeps. Just why? Not at ease with this technology either.

I havent ever worried about this stuff.
    I am not bothered that say Morrisons can record every purchase I make, even if I pay cash, providing I use a rewards/loyalty card.

I take the view that catching more criminals, more easily, can only be a good thing.
    If a facial recognition camera makes it easier to spot a wanted criminal in a crowd, or a terrorist at say an airport, lets have more of them.

A mobile phone not only records our communications, ie who we texted/called and when, but an accurate record of our texts/voicemails, even those that have been deleted.
    It also tracks our movements, seemingly on a more accurate basis, as time goes on.
    Yet, when we all committed ourselves to owning a mobile phone, it would have been purely for the convenience of making phone calls.

As far as CCTV goes, the thing that I find annoying is that on so many occasions a crime is recorded, but the CCTV footage is of such a poor quality, the perpetrator cannot be identified.
    Wouldnt it be a good idea for the government to give a tax break to individuals, and businesses that installed security cameras, but only if they were of a particular quality that would allow criminals to be easily identified.
    Any security measures that dont allow identification almost seem pointless.

CCTV cameras, mobile phones, facial recognition cameras, all record your movements.
    Many crimes are solved purely by the use of CCTV.
    Many more serious crimes are partly solved by using a mobile phone to prove that a perpetrator was at the crime scene.
    I am sure that anyone whose family member was a victim of crime would only be too glad of the use of modern technology in solving the crime.

Cutting a long story short.
    I watch a bit of true crime.
    I recently watched a case where the victims fitbit accurately recorded her running away from her murderer, the exact time she was shot, as her heart obviously stopped.
    His mobile placed him at the crime scene, ANPR cameras tracked his vehicle to the crime scene. and CCTV showed him picking the victim up.

Another where a smart meter broke a murderers alibi.
    It showed that instead of being where he said he was, his smart meter showed that he was at home using his shower, and washing machine.
    Presumably to remove bloodstains from his clothes and body, after murdering his wife.

Just one more.
    A woman that claimed that even though she visited a murder victim on the night of his murder, he was alive, and they took a stroll through the grounds of his home prior to her leaving at 9.30 pm.
    Her admission of being there was only forthcoming after the police revealed that ANPR cameras had recorded her arriving and leaving the victims home.
    His steps app recorded his last movement at 7.30pm, proving he didnt go for a stroll at 9.15.

Under normal circumstances I would go on, and on, and on, but I am attempting a new leaf.

I would have nothing against a legal obligation for us all to provide a DNA sample, fingerprints, and a photo.
    It is difficult to argue that this would not assist in solving more crime.
    How many less rapes would be committed?
    How many more rapists would be caught almost immediately?
    The people that argue against, are the same people that squeal like stuck pigs when they become victims of crime, particularly if they go unsolved.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,305
    Reminds me of the guy who had a mobile phone implanted in his hand ….he also used public toilets, pushed toilet paper up his aris so he could print out reports
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,710
    Logically it would seem a very bad move to cut off someones hand to steal their hand to use their debit card etc. leaving morality out of it because anyone who would consider doing this is not a moral person, I heard somewhere that the average person has £500 or less in their bank account. I dont know where I heard that though.

the potential £500 in expected value vs the likely prison sentence one would risk would not be plus ev. Then again criminals usually have low IQs and would not likely do this sort of risk assessment. Surely though it would be easier to just bring a card reader and force peoples hands against it or just have it set up to try and scan everyones hands on say the underground or etc one could be subtle and take a lot of money that way which would actually be more of a concern.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

We install smart meters.
    The list goes on and on.
    I hear you.

We install smart meters.

I am not bothered that say Morrisons can record every purchase I make, even if I pay cash, providing I use a rewards/loyalty card.

I take the view that catching more criminals, more easily, can only be a good thing.
    If a facial recognition camera makes it easier to spot a wanted criminal in a crowd, or a terrorist at say an airport, lets have more of them.

A mobile phone not only records our communications, ie who we texted/called and when, but an accurate record of our texts/voicemails, even those that have been deleted.
    It also tracks our movements, seemingly on a more accurate basis, as time goes on.
    Yet, when we all committed ourselves to owning a mobile phone, it would have been purely for the convenience of making phone calls.

As far as CCTV goes, the thing that I find annoying is that on so many occasions a crime is recorded, but the CCTV footage is of such a poor quality, the perpetrator cannot be identified.
    Wouldnt it be a good idea for the government to give a tax break to individuals, and businesses that installed security cameras, but only if they were of a particular quality that would allow criminals to be easily identified.

CCTV cameras, mobile phones, facial recognition cameras, all record your movements.
    Many more serious crimes are partly solved by using a mobile phone to prove that a perpetrator was at the crime scene.
    I am sure that anyone whose family member was a victim of crime would only be too glad of the use of modern technology in solving the crime.

I recently watched a case where the victims fitbit accurately recorded her running away from her murderer, the exact time she was shot, as her heart obviously stopped.
    His mobile placed him at the crime scene, ANPR cameras tracked his vehicle to the crime scene. and CCTV showed him picking the victim up.

It showed that instead of being where he said he was, his smart meter showed that he was at home using his shower, and washing machine.
    Presumably to remove bloodstains from his clothes and body, after murdering his wife.

Just one more.
    A woman that claimed that even though she visited a murder victim on the night of his murder, he was alive, and they took a stroll through the grounds of his home prior to her leaving at 9.30 pm.
    Her admission of being there was only forthcoming after the police revealed that ANPR cameras had recorded her arriving and leaving the victims home.
    His steps app recorded his last movement at 7.30pm, proving he didnt go for a stroll at 9.15.

Under normal circumstances I would go on, and on, and on, but I am attempting a new leaf.

I would have nothing against a legal obligation for us all to provide a DNA sample, fingerprints, and a photo.
    The people that argue against, are the same people that squeal like stuck pigs when they become victims of crime, particularly if they go unsolved.
    Just following up on this and will cut the reply to 15 minutes as don't wish to get too bogged down this morning as need to get organised for a walk soon.

Morrisons recording each purchase and personal spending habits if I am seeing this right. I do not wish to partake in that - my information maybe more vaulable to them than me saving a bit of money. Nothing sinister there just not interested in Loyalty Cards and the like unless I care about the company or use them a lot. Morrisons is bloomin' expensive too so it's rare nowadays to go there.

The camera on self-serve checkouts - nope! Sorry I do not think this is good. It's just creepy and there are enough cameras in store (one would imagine they have plenty of cameras in store to "catch criminals".

More cameras more chances of catching them yes! Can't debate that one however it's the level and the intrusive feeling that is the issue here I believe. Not something I like to see as previously said.

For mobile phones Whatsapp and Telegram can be alternatives - they have encryption to help stop snooping from organisations I believe and settings can be looked at (with Whatsapp at least).

Mobile phone can be used to track criminals, criminals and only for that reason. This technology can be used for personal tracking and gives information away which is uncomfortable. What happened to privacy? These tech companies are getting pulled up about this a lot and rightly. Would like to see less tracking and more targeted action.

Not pro Smart apps as you can tell - they are very useful and it's neat. It has other sides to it and most I don't love.

..... and will leave it there for now. :)

• Options
    Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

We install smart meters.
    The list goes on and on.
    I hear you.

We install smart meters.

Just one more.

Just following up on this and will cut the reply to 15 minutes as don't wish to get too bogged down this morning as need to get organised for a walk soon.

Morrisons recording each purchase and personal spending habits if I am seeing this right. I do not wish to partake in that - my information maybe more vaulable to them than me saving a bit of money. Nothing sinister there just not interested in Loyalty Cards and the like unless I care about the company or use them a lot. Morrisons is bloomin' expensive too so it's rare nowadays to go there.

All the major supermarkets have loyalty cards.
    My wife likes Morrisons.
    I am not bothered.
    I have just qualified for a £23 discount on their Summer promotion through the app.
    Not to be sniffed at.
    They dont need a loyalty card to identify you.
    Your credit/debit card, obviously does that

The camera on self-serve checkouts - nope! Sorry I do not think this is good. It's just creepy and there are enough cameras in store (one would imagine they have plenty of cameras in store to "catch criminals".

The instore security cameras can be used to catch shoplifters.
    Those at the checkouts are used by the police to solve many other crimes.
    Like the purchase of the suitcase the body was found in, other items left at crime scenes, even guns, in the USA.

More cameras more chances of catching them yes! Can't debate that one however it's the level and the intrusive feeling that is the issue here I believe. Not something I like to see as previously said.

I am not really bothered if my actions in any shop are recorded.

For mobile phones Whatsapp and Telegram can be alternatives - they have encryption to help stop snooping from organisations I believe and settings can be looked at (with Whatsapp at least).

A mobile phone is probably the biggest step forward in solving crime, other than DNA.
    The ability of authorities to accurately pinpoint your movements using a mobile phone seems to have improved no end.
    Also many criminals seem to get caught out by having many contacts with people that they allegedly dont know.

Mobile phone can be used to track criminals, criminals and only for that reason. This technology can be used for personal tracking and gives information away which is uncomfortable. What happened to privacy? These tech companies are getting pulled up about this a lot and rightly. Would like to see less tracking and more targeted action.

Mobile phone networks will not provide records to all and sundry.
    I believe they will provide them to police, conditional upon a warrant.

Not pro Smart apps as you can tell - they are very useful and it's neat. It has other sides to it and most I don't love.

I believe the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
    I would also disagree with some people about what they may see as disadvantages.
    As my days as a master criminal are long gone, I am not bothered anymore.

• Options
    Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

We install smart meters.
    The list goes on and on.
    I hear you.

We install smart meters.

Just one more.

Supermarkets using ‘Orwellian’ facial recognition cameras threatened with legal action

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/supermarkets-using-orwellian-facial-recognition-132044395.html
  • Options
    First bought up few months back from the organisation Big Brother Watch and they have a point, guess that's when the tech was introduced.

Co-ops response was fair “No facial images from the Southern Co-op platform are shared with any other organisation."

Still will be much less likely to shop or spend as much in places like this. Would hate to see this spreading or going much further, it probably will. This is a dud for people wishing to go about their business and using self-checkouts without feeling eyes on you and scanning your face.

Hitting them in the pocket would be the play here if you are uncomfortable with this.
  • Options
    The shopping experience on the whole is nothing like it was. It's gotten robotic, prompted by machines and less check-out staff to say "Hello" to or have a brief chat with.

Never loved the self-checkouts when they came out and like even less - it's expanding and looks like it's always going to be. Where is the line? For me - it's now :sunglasses:
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

The shopping experience on the whole is nothing like it was. It's gotten robotic, prompted by machines and less check-out staff to say "Hello" to or have a brief chat with.

Never loved the self-checkouts when they came out and like even less - it's expanding and looks like it's always going to be. Where is the line? For me - it's now :sunglasses:

The Amazon way forward is to have no checkouts, never mind staff working at them.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Cammykaze said:

First bought up few months back from the organisation Big Brother Watch and they have a point, guess that's when the tech was introduced.

Co-ops response was fair “No facial images from the Southern Co-op platform are shared with any other organisation."

Still will be much less likely to shop or spend as much in places like this. Would hate to see this spreading or going much further, it probably will. This is a dud for people wishing to go about their business and using self-checkouts without feeling eyes on you and scanning your face.

Hitting them in the pocket would be the play here if you are uncomfortable with this.

As I said earlier, I am not really bothered.
    Although I do think it is a good idea to sling shoplifters out of shops before they have a chance to rob anything.
    If I had shop I would use it.
    One thing that struck me is that they are buying the service from a private company.
    They previously bought it from another company.
    How many companies have it?
    Who compiles a data base of criminals other than the police?
    So where do these companies get their data from?