You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Watford sack Edwards

Really like WTF Watford deserve absolutely nothing but contempt for the way they have treated Rob Edwards.

Let's all hope this team get dumped back into oblivion where they belong. They expect instant sucess, immediate glory and have a record of firing managers faster than Potbanks fire the kilns.

Comments

• stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,627
    I heard a stat saying the last 5 managers have managed just over 19 games each on average
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,985
    stokefc said:

I heard a stat saying the last 5 managers have managed just over 19 games each on average

Watford are a particularly disloyal bunch.

But football generally is far less loyal to its Managers. As an example, Stoke (who most people would not consider trigger-happy), have had 9 Managers (3 of which were Caretakers). Since 2018.

Been going since 1874. Half of their Permanent Managers have been since 1991.

Same is true for most Clubs.
    edited September 2022
    Essexphil said:

stokefc said:

But football generally is far less loyal to its Managers. As an example, Stoke (who most people would not consider trigger-happy), have had 9 Managers (3 of which were Caretakers). Since 2018.

So 6 in four years for a club in decline Watford 5 in just over 12 months , i know where you're coming from though Phil
    Out of curiosity mate how many managers have we had from 2006 to 2018
    edit: i'm just being defensive of my club but the whole thing is just a constant managerial merry go round with most clubs especially if they lose a few games
    I always think of Alex Ferguson if Mark Robins hadn't scored that late goal
    stokefc said:

Essexphil said:

stokefc said:

So 6 in four years for a club in decline Watford 5 in just over 12 months , i know where you're coming from though Phil
    Out of curiosity mate how many managers have we had from 2006 to 2018
    Technically, 6 (including 1 Caretaker). But that is skewed by having 4 Managers in 2018.

If you said 2003-2017, just 3 Managers. Pulis (twice), Boskamp and Hughes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stoke_City_F.C._managers#:~:text=Statistics Name , 3 25 more rows
    Edited post
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,813

Where are we setting the line on how long Bilic lasts?
    Tikay10 said:

Where are we setting the line on how long Bilic lasts?

Well the Stoke fans will be singing sacked in the morning when we beat them on Sunday :p
    stokefc said:

Edited post

It is always a difficult balancing act between loyalty and blind loyalty.

Just to take 2 Stoke Managers, with the benefit of hindsight:-

Pulis. Never going to be known for flowing football. But he tends to leave clubs in better shape than when he joined.

Hughes. 5.5 years. Really? Loved him as a Player. But not as a Manager.

Watford don't even attempt a balancing act. If a Manager shows promise then they may ship him off to 1 of their other clubs. They tend to last about as long as a wine gum.

Every Club should have its supporters thinking of a Manager who stayed too long, and one who deserved more of a chance. Always subjective, but for me Burkinshaw stayed too long, Neill should never have got anywhere near us, and Sherwood was unlucky.

Really glad I don't support Watford.
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,157
    Hopefully the Managers at Watford (and most clubs tbh), negotiate a 2 year contract minimumn, then they get a nice payout when their contract is terminated after 3 months :)
    MISTY4ME said:

Hopefully the Managers at Watford (and most clubs tbh), negotiate a 2 year contract minimumn, then they get a nice payout when their contract is terminated after 3 months :)

Billic has signed an 18 month contract , sounds about right
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,515
    stokefc said:

MISTY4ME said:

Billic has signed an 1-8 month contract , sounds about right
    FYP
  • splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680

Really like WTF Watford deserve absolutely nothing but contempt for the way they have treated Rob Edwards.

Let's all hope this team get dumped back into oblivion where they belong. They expect instant sucess, immediate glory and have a record of firing managers faster than Potbanks fire the kilns.

What goes around, comes around. Edwards went behind Forest Green's back to line up the Watford job in the first place.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,133
    Normally i would have sympathy fora club in the situation that FGR found themselves in.

The fact I don't tells you everything you need to know about my opinion of them. :D:D