You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Labour’s Reeves Signals Need for Better Relationship With EU, Sparking Tory Backlash

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 33,280
  • Options
    Brexit trade deal failures are revealed by the government’s own research

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/brexit-trade-failures-revealed-government-105649612.html
  • Options
    ‘It all disappeared with Brexit’: Craft beer boom ends as more than 100 UK firms go bust

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/disappeared-brexit-craft-beer-boom-124451826.html
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,355
    The above article has a fatal flaw.

It was most certainly in our power to leave the EU. And, rightly or wrongly, we did.

But it is not in our power simply to rejoin. That requires many things. The will of a ruling political party. The organisation of a fair vote. And, most importantly, the agreement of the EU Members, together with the terms they would demand.

We left the EU without ever stopping to consider the economic price of so doing. I fail to see why seeking to rejoin, still without even stopping to consider the price of so doing, represents a step forward.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Essexphil said:

It was most certainly in our power to leave the EU. And, rightly or wrongly, we did.

But it is not in our power simply to rejoin. That requires many things. The will of a ruling political party. The organisation of a fair vote. And, most importantly, the agreement of the EU Members, together with the terms they would demand.

We left the EU without ever stopping to consider the economic price of so doing. I fail to see why seeking to rejoin, still without even stopping to consider the price of so doing, represents a step forward.

Its a deep hole.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

The biggest barrier to rejoining is probably the Euro.
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,630
    Essexphil said:

I agree. However, it would be a good step forward IMHO if there was an admission that Brexit has shown to be a failure and has damaged the UK.

Everyone in the UK should then work together to achieve the best possible outcome politically and economically.
  • Options
    tai-gar said:

Essexphil said:

I agree. However, it would be a good step forward IMHO if there was an admission that Brexit has shown to be a failure and has damaged the UK.

Everyone in the UK should then work together to achieve the best possible outcome politically and economically.
    An honest discussion would be a major step forward.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,168
    HAYSIE said:
    How can you take anything in this poll seriously when so many say they will vote conservative at the next GE.....they're obviously demented
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

HAYSIE said:
    How can you take anything in this poll seriously when so many say they will vote conservative at the next GE.....they're obviously demented
    There appears to be a growing majority of people that are now prepared to admit that it was a mistake to have left.
    I dont think that EU would set out to make it difficult for us to rejoin.
    It would surely be a feather in their cap if we acknowledged our mistake, and rejoined.
    This would be a lesson for all their members.
    Although I would agree with @Essexphil in that any polling without knowing the terms and conditions for rejoining is pretty pointless.
    I assume the rebate would be gone.
    More importantly if we had to ditch the £, and join the Euro, it would dramatically affect any polling.

One of the major parties might include the negotiation of closer ties with the EU in their manifesto, and we could rejoin gradually in the longer term.
    For example, just joining the SM/CU in the short term, and by gradually developing a closer relationship.

Alternatively, we could have another referendum.
    Although this is likely to be another disaster, unless the terms and conditions were negotiated beforehand.
    Otherwise the campaign would be based on lies on both sides, yet again.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,355
    HAYSIE said:

HENDRIK62 said:

HAYSIE said:
    There appears to be a growing majority of people that are now prepared to admit that it was a mistake to have left.
    It would surely be a feather in their cap if we acknowledged our mistake, and rejoined.
    Although I would agree with @Essexphil in that any polling without knowing the terms and conditions for rejoining is pretty pointless.
    More importantly if we had to ditch the £, and join the Euro, it would dramatically affect any polling.

One of the major parties might include the negotiation of closer ties with the EU in their manifesto, and we could rejoin gradually in the longer term.
    For example, just joining the SM/CU in the short term, and by gradually developing a closer relationship.

Although this is likely to be another disaster, unless the terms and conditions were negotiated beforehand.

From an economic viewpoint, if that were the only criterion, then it would undoubtedly have been a mistake to leave. But it is important to recognise that that is not the only criterion. We did not leave the European Economic Community. We left the European Union. A very different creature.

Can we reach some form of compromise, whereby we effectively join what was the EEC, without joining the EU? That should be the aim.

Ideally, that would be joining the SM. But I cannot see how, politically, that can happen. At least in the next 5-6 years. The Conservative Party would implode at the very idea. The Labour Party would be gifting the Tories the very real prospect of winning the next election (and the 1 after that). The sad fact is that the UK electorate tends to vote against things, rather than for them. As an example, the LibDems have been admirably clear in their stance on the EU, but have gained no votes as a result. Were Labour to suggest joining the SM, there would be a massive swing to the Tories.

Putting any proposed solution in a manifesto right now would be an act of political suicide.

There needs to be a bespoke deal between the EU and the UK. And it is going to take time.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HENDRIK62 said:

HAYSIE said:

From an economic viewpoint, if that were the only criterion, then it would undoubtedly have been a mistake to leave. But it is important to recognise that that is not the only criterion. We did not leave the European Economic Community. We left the European Union. A very different creature.

Can we reach some form of compromise, whereby we effectively join what was the EEC, without joining the EU? That should be the aim.

Ideally, that would be joining the SM. But I cannot see how, politically, that can happen. At least in the next 5-6 years. The Conservative Party would implode at the very idea. The Labour Party would be gifting the Tories the very real prospect of winning the next election (and the 1 after that). The sad fact is that the UK electorate tends to vote against things, rather than for them. As an example, the LibDems have been admirably clear in their stance on the EU, but have gained no votes as a result. Were Labour to suggest joining the SM, there would be a massive swing to the Tories.

Putting any proposed solution in a manifesto right now would be an act of political suicide.

There needs to be a bespoke deal between the EU and the UK. And it is going to take time.
    I would agree that nothing will happen prior to the next election.
    Although it would not surprise me if something did happen in the run up to the one after.
    I dont see that either of the major parties can ignore a growing majority in the longer term.
    Food price inflation due to trade friction, paperwork, etc, can only increase the pressure.
    It is also difficult to see any solution that would solve the NI problem anytime soon.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HENDRIK62 said:

HAYSIE said:

Also joining the SM without also joining the CU, would only solve part of the problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HENDRIK62 said:

HAYSIE said:

Is the Windsor Framework now a Windsor knot?

Now Lord Dodds, with the approval of the party leadership, has put those tests firmly back in play.

For him, the Windsor Framework cements the Irish Sea border which fails a key DUP test and is therefore a deal breaker.

But for London and Brussels the deal is done and the Irish Sea border with its red and green lanes is here to stay.

Though Rishi Sunak insisted the "sense" of an Irish Sea border is gone in reality it is still there.

Minimal spot checks and paperwork will still be required for goods destined to stay in Northern Ireland using the green lane.

The text is clear: "Authorities will carry out proportionate risk-based and intelligence-led checks to ensure that these requirements are in place."

Nowhere else will such checks be required for goods moving within the UK.

But if removing the Irish Sea border is now the acid test for the DUP then do not expect to see Stormont restored any time soon.

Five months after it was signed the Windsor Framework now feels more like a Windsor knot.

A knot which the DUP is desperate to unravel while London and Brussels are determined to tighten in a bid to improve relations.

If we expect the Stormont stalemate to be near the top then we are, to borrow a phrase from Northern Ireland Secretary Chris Heaton-Harris, this week "living on a prayer".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66408557
  • Options
    Lurgan: 500 jobs at risk at haulage company Morgan McLernon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66450279
  • Options
    Post-Brexit import checks on food delayed again

Post-Brexit checks on fresh farm produce coming to the UK from the EU have been delayed again, the BBC understands.

New import controls on EU food products had been due to begin in October.

There is concern that the extra checks on imported goods will push up prices and fuel inflation.

The delay, which was first reported by the Financial Times, will give companies and port operators more time to prepare for these changes.

UK food producers have argued that it gives a free pass to continental rivals, while all fresh food exports from the UK to the European Union face checks.

Health certification on imports of "medium-risk" products were due to start in October with physical checks beginning in January 2024.

However, the Cold Chain Federation welcomed news of the delay.

"UK food retailers, hospitality businesses and consumers were in line for major disruption because many EU food-producing businesses supplying into the UK are not ready for the new requirements," said Shane Brennan, the chief executive of the Cold Chain Federation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66394235