You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Voices: Now even Brexiteers are blaming themselves for Britain’s economic woes

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,524
    'The Benefits Are Pure Fantasy': MPs Debate Brexit Impact For First Time

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/benefits-pure-fantasy-mps-debate-201628493.html
  • Options
    Be careful what you wish for: Europe has delivered the post-Brexit borders we demanded

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/careful-wish-europe-delivered-post-153324006.html
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,108
    HAYSIE said:
    Rachel Maclean. Hapless. Hopeless.

Managed to make Lisa Nandy and Layla Moran look like top-notch politicians.

Yes. That bad...
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:
    Rachel Maclean. Hapless. Hopeless.

Managed to make Lisa Nandy and Layla Moran look like top-notch politicians.

Yes. That bad...
    Her feet are full of bullet holes.
  • Options
    ‘Brexit idiocy’ blamed for tech giant ARM choosing New York over London

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/brexit-idiocy-blamed-tech-giant-091635309.html
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,268
    HAYSIE said:

Glad your source is from a serious news reporting service.

Seriously I have to put up with the negative impact on my life that PC and the woke, genZ offspring of entitled freaking snowflakes cause.

So those who didn't want Brexit can do the same, suck it up, accept it's done and crack on instead of constantly regurgitating pathetic diatribe in a pointless attempt to be proven right.

If the people moaning and pointing fingers put as much effort into finding answers to the problems we may well get solutions.

Glad I got that off my chest, rant over, have a peachy day.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

HAYSIE said:

Seriously I have to put up with the negative impact on my life that PC and the woke, genZ offspring of entitled freaking snowflakes cause.

So those who didn't want Brexit can do the same, suck it up, accept it's done and crack on instead of constantly regurgitating pathetic diatribe in a pointless attempt to be proven right.

If the people moaning and pointing fingers put as much effort into finding answers to the problems we may well get solutions.

So the people who didn't vote for the absolute car crash that is Brexit should now try and find solutions for it?

Perhaps the utter tools who voted for it should take some responsibility for making an awful decision and they come up with solutions?

Unfortunately there are many who voted for it who will simply not admit to it being a disaster.

Happy to hear of any Brexit benefits though, if anyone has any....I'm all ears.
  • Options
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

Nice to have a rant now and again.

Some solutions are very difficult if not impossible.

In particular, the Unionists in NI are unlikely to ever accept the Irish Sea border, or being forced to accept EU laws.
    You can understand why British Citizens may object to a border that separates them from the rest of the UK, and that they may not be in favour of being the only bit of the UK that are subject to EU laws on an ongoing basis.
    There seem to be two realistic solutions to this.
    The first is a land border in Ireland.
    This would breach the GFA.
    Or the whole of the UK joining the SM, and CU.
    This would mean that the whole of the UK would be subject to EU laws, and trade deals elsewhere would not be possible.
    So this is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

The real problem is that the above difficulties relate to Brexit, rather than the protocol.
    Leaving the EU created these problems.
    I often wonder that if the NI problems had been discussed properly, whether we would have had the referendum.
    It would have been a short conversation.

Leaving the EU had to involve creating a border.
    Where are we going to put it?
    It cant go on the island of Ireland, because of the GFA.
    The Irish Sea then.
    Ok, well that leaves NI on the EU side.
    This will separate NI from the rest of the UK, and subject to EU laws.
    The Boris solution was to lie about it.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,108
    edited May 2023

HAYSIE said:

So the people who didn't vote for the absolute car crash that is Brexit should now try and find solutions for it?

Perhaps the utter tools who voted for it should take some responsibility for making an awful decision and they come up with solutions?

Unfortunately there are many who voted for it who will simply not admit to it being a disaster.

Like pretty much everything in life, there are benefits and burdens.

I agree entirely with your comments about the lies that were told that caused us to leave. As has been mentioned on this thread before, there were people who wanted to blame their own inadequacies/failures on being in the EU. And somehow believed that leaving the EU would change all that.

But, regrettably, we have just swapped that excuse for another, equally daft, one. We now look to blame Brexit for everything we don't like. In exactly similar stupid circumstances. The ARM example is an example of this. London has been losing market share in this sort of thing since before 2016. The listing hasn't gone to the EU. It's gone to the USA. So-"If the people moaning and pointing fingers put as much effort into finding answers to the problems we may well get solutions."

Leaving the EU wasn't the magic bullet. In exactly the same way as rejoining would not be-quite apart from the fact that the EU (understandably) would not want us back.

Personally, I wish we had never left. But we did. We left due to a bunch of lies. But then, to be frank, we joined due to a bunch of lies, too. We joined in 1973, and only held a vote about "joining" in 1975.

The economic arguments about being in the EU are pretty clear-cut. If money is the key, we are better off in. However much the Tories claim we are better off out, and Labour tries to pretend it isn't particularly relevant.

But it is not just economics. It is no longer the European Economic Community. Or the European Community. It is the European Union. A political, as well as economic, union. Which, rightly or wrongly, as an island nation, we are distinctly uncomfortable with. The whole movement towards 1 currency, 1 army, follow the rules decided by Europe, and largely driven by Germany/France and the rules that suit a Continental land mass, as opposed to an island, is not for us.

There are benefits to being outside the EU. Not the rubbish about trying to remove all EU laws, just having the ability to choose. Are they a price worth paying? Right now, short answer, no. But going forward? More difficult question.

The sad bit is that we do not need to be at loggerheads. There are options where we could negotiate being part of the EEA. Switzerland has, like us, been notoriously unwilling to ally with the rest of Europe, but has managed to negotiate a better compromise than us.

I wish we had never left. But we have. And we need to move forward on that basis.
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

Conversations about re-joining seem to be occurring on a more regular basis.
    Although I am not sure it will happen in my lifetime.
    The country is apparently changing in that the old, and doddery leave voters are dying, while youngsters that are more intelligent, or at least less biased, are gaining the right to vote.
    The original NI protocol gave Stormont a vote on whether to continue with it, every four years.
    I assume that is still the case.
    Although if they voted against, it is difficult to see what the alternative could be.
    The post brexit plan to diverge from the EU would logically mean that as we diverge, more friction is created.
    At some point one of the parties will finally admit that re-joining would solve many problems.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Like pretty much everything in life, there are benefits and burdens.

I agree entirely with your comments about the lies that were told that caused us to leave. As has been mentioned on this thread before, there were people who wanted to blame their own inadequacies/failures on being in the EU. And somehow believed that leaving the EU would change all that.

But, regrettably, we have just swapped that excuse for another, equally daft, one. We now look to blame Brexit for everything we don't like. In exactly similar stupid circumstances. The ARM example is an example of this. London has been losing market share in this sort of thing since before 2016. The listing hasn't gone to the EU. It's gone to the USA. So-"If the people moaning and pointing fingers put as much effort into finding answers to the problems we may well get solutions."

There is a long list of stuff that we can genuinely blame on Brexit.
    The mess in NI, kids waiting for hours on buses at ferry ports, musicians being unable to tour Europe, many companies losing business, a projected 4% drop in GDP, etc etc.

Leaving the EU wasn't the magic bullet. In exactly the same way as rejoining would not be-quite apart from the fact that the EU (understandably) would not want us back.

Personally, I wish we had never left. But we did. We left due to a bunch of lies. But then, to be frank, we joined due to a bunch of lies, too. We joined in 1973, and only held a vote about "joining" in 1975.

The economic arguments about being in the EU are pretty clear-cut. If money is the key, we are better off in. However much the Tories claim we are better off out, and Labour tries to pretend it isn't particularly relevant.

But it is not just economics. It is no longer the European Economic Community. Or the European Community. It is the European Union. A political, as well as economic, union. Which, rightly or wrongly, as an island nation, we are distinctly uncomfortable with. The whole movement towards 1 currency, 1 army, follow the rules decided by Europe, and largely driven by Germany/France and the rules that suit a Continental land mass, as opposed to an island, is not for us.

There are benefits to being outside the EU. Not the rubbish about trying to remove all EU laws, just having the ability to choose. Are they a price worth paying? Right now, short answer, no. But going forward? More difficult question.

The bonfire of EU laws is apparently knocked on the head.

The sad bit is that we do not need to be at loggerheads. There are options where we could negotiate being part of the EEA. Switzerland has, like us, been notoriously unwilling to ally with the rest of Europe, but has managed to negotiate a better compromise than us.

The relationship has radically improved since Rishi Sunak took over.
    Any compromise is unlikely to help the situation in NI.

I wish we had never left. But we have. And we need to move forward on that basis.
  • Options
    Brexit: MPs call for public inquiry into impact of leaving EU

MPs have urged the UK government to launch a public inquiry to assess the effects of Brexit in a parliamentary debate triggered by a petition.

A three-hour debate was held after 183,000 people signed a petition calling for a public inquiry into the impact of leaving the European Union.

The government says Brexit was a "democratic choice" and dismissed calls for a public inquiry.

But some MPs branded Brexit a "disaster" and an "error".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65384431
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,219

There's no real point in a Public Inquiry into it, it won't achieve anything, except, I suppose, to underline just what a liar Boris is. Though the more shrewd observers may already have reached that conclusion.

I'm pretty chilled about most things these days, except perhaps racism & the lack of empathy towards migrants, but it does rankle me big time that Boris is such a wrong 'un & was believed by so many.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

There's no real point in a Public Inquiry into it, it won't achieve anything, except, I suppose, to underline just what a liar Boris is. Though the more shrewd observers may already have reached that conclusion.

I'm pretty chilled about most things these days, except perhaps racism & the lack of empathy towards migrants, but it does rankle me big time that Boris is such a wrong 'un & was believed by so many.

At least they seem to have gone very quiet about his comeback.
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,603
    Tikay10 said:

Agree 100%. Such a tragedy.