You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Voices: Now even Brexiteers are blaming themselves for Britain’s economic woes

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,525
    Essexphil said:

I genuinely believed that Rishi Sunak would be better than Boris Johnson. I think everybody accepts that, for all his undoubted strengths, Boris was never a team player, and was a habitual liar.

Rishi promised "integrity and accountability". Unfortunately, that is a bigger lie than anything ever put on the side of a bus.

Routinely swerves PMQs. Too "busy" to be accountable. Mainly because he is useless at PMQs.

Integrity? Let's look at his Cabinet, and other key appointments. Starting with Suella Braverman. Someone who had been sacked for breaching the Ministerial Code 5 minutes before he took over. Who would have believed we could yearn for the "good old days" of Priti Patel?

Then look at some of the others. There are several who are just useless-Therese Coffey, Gillian Keegan, etc.

But-far more disturbingly-there are various people who have no place in polite society. Robert Jenrick. Johnny Mercer. 30p Lee.

Meanwhile loads of Tories flock to 2nd jobs at GB News. Don't mind the has-beens doing it. But not the people who are supposed to be helping to run this country! While the decent ones are quietly leaving politics.

Sunak unleashes chaos to avoid Brexit revolt by 'sacking' Tory MPs from crucial committee

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/sunak-unleashes-chaos-to-avoid-brexit-revolt-by-sacking-tory-mps-from-crucial-committee/ar-AA1dYKDg?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d574e1a6a8894c59b291fc06206c3460&ei=8
  • Options
    Stormont stalemate is ‘totally unsustainable’, O’Neill tells Heaton-Harris

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/stormont-stalemate-totally-unsustainable-o-120120417.html
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,268
    Still. For pity's sake let it go. Turns out decimalisation wasn't particularly good actually.

Tell you what let's go back to Pounds, Shillings, Pence, Farthings, Guineas and Sovereigns.

Let's keep, miles, Acres, furlongs, yards, feet and inches. Bring back Bushells, cubits, gallons, pints, fathoms, leagues.

The reason it isn't going well is that those opposed to it are not just Shutting TFU and getting on with life and will wreck the country just to say I told you so.
  • Options

Still. For pity's sake let it go. Turns out decimalisation wasn't particularly good actually.

Tell you what let's go back to Pounds, Shillings, Pence, Farthings, Guineas and Sovereigns.

Let's keep, miles, Acres, furlongs, yards, feet and inches. Bring back Bushells, cubits, gallons, pints, fathoms, leagues.

The reason it isn't going well is that those opposed to it are not just Shutting TFU and getting on with life and will wreck the country just to say I told you so.

The fact that an increasing number of people are prepared to admit that leaving was a mistake seems to be cropping up more frequently.
    Both the main parties are reluctant to address the problem.
    Although I think that one of them will have to at some point.

Both the main parties are whinging about the lack of growth, and the experts will say that leaving reduced our GDP by 4%.
    Some improvements could be made without getting drastic.
    Surely our politicians have an obligation to address the problems that leaving has created.

A major problem that doesnt seem to be going away anytime soon, is the NI border.
    The Unionists will never be happy with the sea border, and there doesnt seem to be a feasible alternative.
    Stormont is unlikely to be up and running in the near future.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

I genuinely believed that Rishi Sunak would be better than Boris Johnson. I think everybody accepts that, for all his undoubted strengths, Boris was never a team player, and was a habitual liar.

Rishi promised "integrity and accountability". Unfortunately, that is a bigger lie than anything ever put on the side of a bus.

Routinely swerves PMQs. Too "busy" to be accountable. Mainly because he is useless at PMQs.

Integrity? Let's look at his Cabinet, and other key appointments. Starting with Suella Braverman. Someone who had been sacked for breaching the Ministerial Code 5 minutes before he took over. Who would have believed we could yearn for the "good old days" of Priti Patel?

Then look at some of the others. There are several who are just useless-Therese Coffey, Gillian Keegan, etc.

But-far more disturbingly-there are various people who have no place in polite society. Robert Jenrick. Johnny Mercer. 30p Lee.

Meanwhile loads of Tories flock to 2nd jobs at GB News. Don't mind the has-beens doing it. But not the people who are supposed to be helping to run this country! While the decent ones are quietly leaving politics.

Rishi Sunak should have stuck with Boris Johnson's EU deal and not the Windsor Framework

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/rishi-sunak-should-have-stuck-with-boris-johnson-s-eu-deal-and-not-the-windsor-framework/ar-AA1eiTpn?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7b67c94be4ed48bab4d3d706cde2c765&ei=57
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,268
    HAYSIE said:

The fact that an increasing number of people are prepared to admit that leaving was a mistake seems to be cropping up more frequently.

Both the main parties are whinging about the lack of growth, and the experts will say that leaving reduced our GDP by 4%.
    Surely our politicians have an obligation to address the problems that leaving has created.

A major problem that doesnt seem to be going away anytime soon, is the NI border.
    The Unionists will never be happy with the sea border, and there doesnt seem to be a feasible alternative.
    I agree with a lot of that. My main point, badly made, was that instead of whining about the situation and using it as an instrument to prove a point, the people who are in charge of running the country should be doing just that.

In fact let's be honest if those responsible had had the wherewithall to have furnished Joe Public with the truth rather than sensationalising things, perhaps a more considered opinion would have materialised at the ballot box.

Did I vote to leave YES. Do I think that some of the issues were not properly presented YES. Do I consider that maybe with detailed and concise analysis I may have considered the opposite PROBABLY. Do I think that we should beg the EU to re admit us ABSOLUTELY NOT. Any deal that allowed for our joining would impact us more negatively than the status quo.

We're here, we're out, get used to it.

• Options

HAYSIE said:

I agree with a lot of that. My main point, badly made, was that instead of whining about the situation and using it as an instrument to prove a point, the people who are in charge of running the country should be doing just that.

In fact let's be honest if those responsible had had the wherewithall to have furnished Joe Public with the truth rather than sensationalising things, perhaps a more considered opinion would have materialised at the ballot box.

Did I vote to leave YES. Do I think that some of the issues were not properly presented YES. Do I consider that maybe with detailed and concise analysis I may have considered the opposite PROBABLY. Do I think that we should beg the EU to re admit us ABSOLUTELY NOT. Any deal that allowed for our joining would impact us more negatively than the status quo.

Leaving the EU has not affected my life in any way, other than maybe some inflation on food prices, and a little inconvenience when travelling to Europe on holiday.
    The visa waiver charge comes into play in November.

Some businesses have been badly affected, others will be affected in the future.

I am in favour of the UK remaining as it is.
    There is no doubt that Scottish Independence received a boost after we left.
    As many of those in favour of remaining joined the Independence cause.

The Unionists in NI are against the border that Brexit created.
    It is easy to understand why.
    Stormont get the opportunity to vote against the border arrangements next year, and every four years after that.
    If they did, it is difficult to see what the alternative could be.

The problem with Brexit is that it is not all over, it will continue for a long time to come.
    As we diverge from the EU, more checks will be required.
    As we do more deals with countries that dont comply with EU standards, and regulations, more checks will be required.
    It would be a shame if Brexit led to the break up of the UK.

We wouldnt have to beg the EU to get back in, they would be glad to have us back.
    Although I am sure that the same terms and conditions would not be attainable.
    Re-joining may be a step too far at present.
    Although the merits of re-joining the Single Market, and Customs Union, are obvious.
    This would give a boost to many businesses.
    It would remove the need for the NI border.
    As well as reduce support for Scottish Independence.
    And create some substantial growth in our economy.

I think that it would be a huge mistake for our politicians to ignore the disaster that was Brexit, in the long term.
    Brexit is a running sore.
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

Northern Ireland Protocol: UUP leader Doug Beattie ‘surrendering’ over changing Windsor Framework, claims DUP MP Sammy Wilson

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/northern-ireland-protocol-uup-leader-204628389.html
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,603
    Nat West Boss has done the right thing over her misjudgement about Farage.

When will Farage do the right thing about his own misjudgement of Brexit?
  • Options
    tai-gar said:

Not sure what he could do.
    What could he resign from?
    He has admitted that it has worked out badly.
    Although he blames Boris rather than Brexit.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

Well what would be the “honourable thing” to do?

I am sure the Japanese would know.

Or just an apology for the huge mistake would go a long way.
  • Options
    tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

An apology is beyond him.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

Agreed. He now wants to wreck the banks.

What an egotistical pariah.

• Options
    tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

Agreed. He now wants to wreck the banks.

What an egotistical pariah.

I am sure you are right, but I prefer to think of him as a Kn0bhead.
  • Options
    Thousands of Britons unable to fly into Sicily due to post-Brexit passport checks

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/thousands-brits-unable-fly-sicily-071159358.html