You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Voices: Now even Brexiteers are blaming themselves for Britain’s economic woes

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,116
    Lord Frost. What a chump that man is.

Does the new Partnership have some advantages over belonging to the EU? Yes, it does. There is no overarching Court, or the equivalent of a European Parliament.

But it is far less important economically as far as the UK is concerned than the EU. To paraphrase the economics, it's rather like losing £4 but triumphantly exclaiming that you've found 8 pence.

I'm one of those Remainer people. I've moved on-because it is necessary to do so.

But I have never regarded the UK as "irrelevant". And I don't need an unelected to55pot to tell me how I feel.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,564
    Essexphil said:

Lord Frost. What a chump that man is.

Does the new Partnership have some advantages over belonging to the EU? Yes, it does. There is no overarching Court, or the equivalent of a European Parliament.

But it is far less important economically as far as the UK is concerned than the EU. To paraphrase the economics, it's rather like losing £4 but triumphantly exclaiming that you've found 8 pence.

I'm one of those Remainer people. I've moved on-because it is necessary to do so.

But I have never regarded the UK as "irrelevant". And I don't need an unelected to55pot to tell me how I feel.

I dont know why anyone listens to him.
    I listened to a discussion on this the other night, and it was suggested that it would make a difference of 0.08% to our GDP over the next 10 years.
    Whoopee.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

All this goes back to Boris insisting he had an "over ready deal" & his obsession with "getting Brexit done". He had no interest in the detail, he just wanted to say he'd done it.

Now he's busy earning fortunes in the Speaker market, & we are left with the mess he created.

What I mean is this.
    Leaving the EU meant implementing a border.
    The obvious place was on the island of Ireland, if the GFA didnt exist.
    The only other option was the Irish Sea.
    This obviously leaves NI on the EU side of the border.
    For this border to work NI has to remain in the EU SM and CU, because they are on the EU side.
    And logically subject to EU law.
    How could they not be subject to EU law when they are on their side?

The only option to avoid this would have been for the whole of the UK to remain in the SM/CU, and therefore no need for a border.
    This would have eliminated the possibility of trade deals elsewhere.

An Irish Sea border was bound to wind up the Unionists.
    For them to see it as a separation from the rest of the UK was obvious.
    Being subject to different laws was also going to be a problem for them.

I wonder what would have happened if the EU had laid the law down pre referendum.
    What if they had said that if we planned to leave there would be a border on the island of Ireland, and that NI alone could not stay in the CU/SM?
    Would there have been a different result?
    Would there have even been a referendum?

So all the problems were on our side.
    Yet all our side could do was sl ag them off.
    The Unionists will not wear a border.
    The best we could initially come up with was a sausage problem.
    Not even all sausages, just fresh ones.
    In reality the EU bent over backwards to accommodate our problems.
    NI are in the SM/CU free of charge.

Its just a f...k up.

Our long term plan is to diverge from EU rules, and do trade deals elsewhere.
    So when we start importing chlorinated chicken, and hormone fed beef, more checks will be imposed.
    So Brexit is not done, it will last forever, with new agreements each time we diverge.
    The oven ready deal will require regular re-heating.

Everything that is going wrong in NI was completely predictable, and should not surprise anyone.
    The DUP should have seen it coming, but Boris conned them, and they fell for it.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Biden criticises Sunak for not trying harder to break Brexit deadlock

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/biden-criticises-sunak-not-trying-194547835.html
  • Options
    Varadkar: Windsor Framework will not be reopened, but Brexit will never be done

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/varadkar-windsor-framework-not-reopened-142723478.html
  • Options
    Varadkar doesn't half talk some nonsense.

Britain's trading relationship with the EU will change over time. For a whole host of reasons. Not least that the EU will continue to change over time. As it has done from EEC to EC to EU, and the massive changes each has brought about.

Time changes all agreements. Because what is best 20 years ago is different to now is different to 20 years time.

Regardless of whether Brexit is a good thing or not. It will change along with everything else
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Britain's trading relationship with the EU will change over time. For a whole host of reasons. Not least that the EU will continue to change over time. As it has done from EEC to EC to EU, and the massive changes each has brought about.

Time changes all agreements. Because what is best 20 years ago is different to now is different to 20 years time.

Regardless of whether Brexit is a good thing or not. It will change along with everything else

This is what he said,

That’s going to affect us, and anyone who trades with the UK. Brexit will never just be done, it will require constant negotiations and alterations to the relationship.

I dont see how you can possibly disagree with that.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

This is what he said,

That’s going to affect us, and anyone who trades with the UK. Brexit will never just be done, it will require constant negotiations and alterations to the relationship.

I don't disagree with it. It's just hopelessly misleading.

All commercial agreements, particularly international ones, require regular review and updating.

True for Britain's future trading relationships. All of them. And Ireland's. And the EU. All of them. Internal as well as external.

People need to stop treating Brexit as though it is different to everything else. Everything of this sort requires constant negotiations and alterations. Just as true if we had never left.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

This is what he said,

All commercial agreements, particularly international ones, require regular review and updating.

True for Britain's future trading relationships. All of them. And Ireland's. And the EU. All of them. Internal as well as external.

People need to stop treating Brexit as though it is different to everything else. Everything of this sort requires constant negotiations and alterations. Just as true if we had never left.
    I understand what you are saying, but I think Brexit goes a bit further than a normal trade agreement.
    You can probably blame Boris for his claims of getting Brexit done.
    Brexit has left the UK with an internal border.
    Part of the UK is on the EU side of the border, and is subject to new EU laws.
    Stormont gets a vote on current arrangements every 4 years.
    Not to mention any divergence.
    Etc, etc.
    So it is a little more than a case of updating paperwork.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

This is what he said,

I understand what you are saying, but I think Brexit goes a bit further than a normal trade agreement.
    You can probably blame Boris for his claims of getting Brexit done.
    Brexit has left the UK with an internal border.
    Part of the UK is on the EU side of the border, and is subject to new EU laws.
    Stormont gets a vote on current arrangements every 4 years.
    Not to mention any divergence.
    Etc, etc.
    So it is a little more than a case of updating paperwork.
    ps, you can add EU Courts to that, and a collapsed Stormont.
  • Options
    ‘We’ve got no plan. What will we do?’: Boris Johnson ‘shock at Brexit result’ revealed in new book

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/ve-got-no-plan-boris-211147207.html