You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Voices: Now even Brexiteers are blaming themselves for Britain’s economic woes

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,564
    HAYSIE said:

Sorry Mark @TheEdge949 .
    I only just noticed these, when looking back at previous comments.
    They seem to have disappeared in the posting of them.

YOU KNOW THAT OPTIONS WERE NOT MADE AVAILABLE ON THE BALLOT, IT WAS A SIMPLE IN OR OUT. PERHAPS REMAIN COCKED UP THERE

Really, I wasnt aware that remain was responsible for organising the ballot paper?

NO OF COURSE YOU DONT. BOTH SIDES CONTINUALLY LOOK FOR A REASON TO TAKE THEIR BALL HOME AND CURRENTLY THE HARD BORDER IS THE EXCUSE BUT WE BOTH KNOW THAT THE TWO SIDES WILL NEVER ACCEPT GOVERNANCE FROM THE OTHER.

The hard border in Ireland is not possible because of the GFA.
    I therefore think that it cannot be described as an excuse.
    What we are left with is the only option that is available.
    I can see why Unionists would object to the border.
    The DUP want to have their cake, and eat it.
    They want the border removed, not to come under any EU rules, and retain access to the single market.
    Good luck with that.

THATS PERHAPS BECAUSE WE DONT NEED FEEL THE TO INSULT THEM, WE'VE WLKED AWAY AND THEY ARE A LITTLE PEEVED AT US

I am not having that.
    You said this,

The EU itself is absolutely mortified that we have left and whilst they would give their eye teeth for Britain to rejoin, act like a petulant child and hurl insults whilst spitefully looking to undermine everything. They've basically scratched all our records before handing them back.

I merely pointed out that all the insults seem to be coming from our side.

I DON'T KNOW THAT'S NOT MY JOB, YOU TELL ME. WHEN I DECIDE TO TAKE MY CAR IN FOR REPAIR I DON'T EXPECT TO HAVE TO TELL THE MECHANIC WHAT TO DO TO MAKE THE FAULT BETTER. I TELL HIM THE PROBLEM AND LEAVE IT TO HIM TO FIX, THAT'S HIS JOB

I just wondered in you had any specific ideas on any improvements that could be made.

You said this,

As for those charged with making Brexit work, if they actually stopped being pompous and arrogant and acknowledged that they now have an imperfect situation which requires real work, effort and compromise then things might start to improve.

Well it has been over 7 years since the referendum, and 3 years since we actually left.
    There were benefits that we enjoyed from our membership, which we have now obviously lost.
    A number of PMs, Cabinets, and Brexit Ministers, have attempted to negotiate, and renegotiate the best deal we could get.
    Although we have ended up with the Brexit we chose.
    I think the real point is that there is a limit to what could be achieved as non members.

WELL, THE YOUNG NEVER MAKE A BAD DECISION DO THEY. SO THATS ALRIGHT THEN.

That is a silly thing to say.
    As I said earlier they are probably just less biased than the oldies, and dont blame the EU for stuff they are not responsible for.

I find it remarkable that the Tories use the "Stronger Together" argument in relation to Scottish Independence, but the opposite in the case of the EU.

Tata Steel to confirm shutdown of Port Talbot blast furnaces, sources claim

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/tata-steel-to-confirm-shutdown-of-port-talbot-blast-furnaces-sources-claim/ar-AA1n8yjI?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=7b9d7806c3a54274a37a01147fbb1c3e&ei=75
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Sorry Mark @TheEdge949 .

YOU KNOW THAT OPTIONS WERE NOT MADE AVAILABLE ON THE BALLOT, IT WAS A SIMPLE IN OR OUT. PERHAPS REMAIN COCKED UP THERE

Really, I wasnt aware that remain was responsible for organising the ballot paper?

NO OF COURSE YOU DONT. BOTH SIDES CONTINUALLY LOOK FOR A REASON TO TAKE THEIR BALL HOME AND CURRENTLY THE HARD BORDER IS THE EXCUSE BUT WE BOTH KNOW THAT THE TWO SIDES WILL NEVER ACCEPT GOVERNANCE FROM THE OTHER.

They want the border removed, not to come under any EU rules, and retain access to the single market.
    Good luck with that.

THATS PERHAPS BECAUSE WE DONT NEED FEEL THE TO INSULT THEM, WE'VE WLKED AWAY AND THEY ARE A LITTLE PEEVED AT US

I am not having that.
    You said this,

The EU itself is absolutely mortified that we have left and whilst they would give their eye teeth for Britain to rejoin, act like a petulant child and hurl insults whilst spitefully looking to undermine everything. They've basically scratched all our records before handing them back.

I DON'T KNOW THAT'S NOT MY JOB, YOU TELL ME. WHEN I DECIDE TO TAKE MY CAR IN FOR REPAIR I DON'T EXPECT TO HAVE TO TELL THE MECHANIC WHAT TO DO TO MAKE THE FAULT BETTER. I TELL HIM THE PROBLEM AND LEAVE IT TO HIM TO FIX, THAT'S HIS JOB

I just wondered in you had any specific ideas on any improvements that could be made.

You said this,

As for those charged with making Brexit work, if they actually stopped being pompous and arrogant and acknowledged that they now have an imperfect situation which requires real work, effort and compromise then things might start to improve.

Well it has been over 7 years since the referendum, and 3 years since we actually left.
    There were benefits that we enjoyed from our membership, which we have now obviously lost.
    A number of PMs, Cabinets, and Brexit Ministers, have attempted to negotiate, and renegotiate the best deal we could get.
    I think the real point is that there is a limit to what could be achieved as non members.

As I said earlier they are probably just less biased than the oldies, and dont blame the EU for stuff they are not responsible for.

I find it remarkable that the Tories use the "Stronger Together" argument in relation to Scottish Independence, but the opposite in the case of the EU.

EU citizens are being kicked out of the UK. In Spain we’re asking: why not treat British people the same way?

Four years after the UK officially left the European Union, you can still be taken aback reading about Brexit’s self-defeating, if sometimes unintended, consequences. A Spanish woman was detained at Luton airport and denied re-entry after a Christmas visit to Spain, even though she had been living and working in the UK with her family for years. A French woman, married to a British citizen, had to give up her job after an apparent paperwork mix-up.

Trapped in the grey area of backlog and conflicting rules, like tens of thousands of EU citizens after Brexit, these cases are a recurring tale in post-Brexit Europe. Asked by the Guardian about the plight of the Spanish woman, the Home Office response parroted generic lines: “Border Force’s number one priority is to keep our borders safe and secure, and we will never compromise on this,” a spokesperson said.

How does detaining a 34-year-old veterinary nursing apprentice living with her husband and in-laws in Bedfordshire, returning home after a trip to meet her sister’s baby, and in possession of a UK government document stating her right to work, contribute to “safe and secure” borders? It obviously doesn’t.

The French woman was luckier: after she spoke out about her case, the Home Office restored her residency and work rights.

Was Brexit really about this? Did “taking back control” mean kicking out neighbours? Was it worth the lost growth and trade, the logistics nightmare and the shortages of workers? I cannot see how this could be portrayed as a triumph, by any measure.

About 4,000 EU citizens are denied entry to Britain every quarter, suspected of harbouring undocumented work or study plans. That means that about 60% of people now refused entry to the UK are from the European Union. They are usually the easiest people to send back to their countries of origin.

Some of them claim rightful residency under the terms of the Brexit agreement. In the midst of the chaos of the pandemic and travel restrictions, the UK accepted late applications for what it called “presettlement”. About 142,000 EU citizens were still waiting for their applications to be reviewed at the end of September 2023. According to the 3 Million, an EU citizens’ rights advocacy group in the UK, around 11,000 people have been waiting for more than two years, and the backlog could take another two and a half years to clear. This translates into uncertainty, anxiety and potential expulsion for thousands of families.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/eu-citizens-being-kicked-uk-070002599.html
  • Options
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Sorry Mark @TheEdge949 .

Good luck with that.

I am not having that.
    You said this,

You said this,

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/tata-steel-to-confirm-shutdown-of-port-talbot-blast-furnaces-sources-claim/ar-AA1n8yjI?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=7b9d7806c3a54274a37a01147fbb1c3e&ei=75
    Blame the EU?
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Depends what you mean by that.

The SDLP is 1 of the 2 main Irish Nationalist Parties, whose political position is for a unified Ireland under Dublin rule. In the shorter term, they seek to reduce UK power, and increase Ireland's power, over NI. They make no secret of that. That is their official Party line.

This is the fundamental problem within NI. What pleases 1 side will almost inevitably displease the other.

The "compromise" between the UK and Ireland involves transfer of various powers and influence from Belfast/London to Dublin.

I'm not saying that is wrong. What I am saying is that every "solution" will enrage a portion of the residents of NI.

What do you think she means when she says "reconcile our geography"?

I took it as a statement of fact.
    The situation is surely the result of the only compromise available, when you consider the geography, economy, and the Brexit that Britain chose.
    I took the geography bit, merely meant that they share an island with EU members.
    Nothing said by pretty much everyone, on all sides of the debate in NI, is a statement of fact. As an example, she deliberately chose the word "Britain" rather than the UK. Because NI is not part of Great Britain. We are a United Kingdom. Which means that the majority of the United Kingdom got to vote and form a Majority as to whether we got to leave.

Some Regions voted to Remain. Scotland, Northern Ireland, London. But, in a United Kingdom, no 1 vote counts more than any other. Because it would not be a United Kingdom. The use of the word "Britain" is designed to cause offence. Because Loyalists largely voted to Leave. And Nationalists to Remain.

I have family members on both sides of that particular debate. You may well think everything is simple. It's a battle that has been going on for well over 150 years. And Brexit is just 1 of many, many opportunities for that to continue.
    Northern Ireland's DUP to hold surprise meeting on power-sharing move -BBC

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/northern-ireland-s-dup-to-hold-surprise-meeting-on-power-sharing-move-bbc/ar-BB1gW756?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=9c1e7312f859444781a4b59417037f72&ei=67
  • Options
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Memo to ministers: your Brexit was not a vote to trash our environment

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/memo-ministers-brexit-not-vote-060052904.html
  • Options
    Home Office U-turns on rights of EU citizens who were in UK pre-Brexit

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/home-office-allow-eu-citizens-050022859.html
  • Options
    Windsor Framework: Half of vet medicines could be withdrawn, Lords hear

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-68024389
  • Options
    Brexit: Sadiq Khan attacks Labour’s ‘omerta’ over re-joining EU single market

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/brexit-sadiq-khan-attacks-labour-170605604.html
  • Options
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Sorry Mark @TheEdge949 .

Good luck with that.

I am not having that.
    You said this,

You said this,

Blame the EU?

• Options
  • Options
    edited January 21
    class="Bold">Sorry Mark @TheEdge949 .

Good luck with that.

I am not having that.
    You said this,

You said this,

Brexit cost the UK the only good thing Margaret Thatcher ever did

But in one fell swoop – thanks to a wholly unnecessary referendum, founded, alas, on ignorance, prejudice and lies – the Cameron government opened the back door. The single market was designed, from the UK’s point of view, to boost trade with and investment from the EU, but the exit was opened and Britain has suffered.

As one eminent historian said to me recently, “the people who gave us Brexit argued that it would reverse our economic decline. Instead it has accelerated that decline”.

Sadiq Khan is not afraid to defy the omertà that has been imposed by the Labour leadership on the subject of the single market. Yet at a time when surveys indicate that no more than a fifth of leavers regard Brexit as a success, and most people recognise it as a disaster, Labour refuses to acknowledge in public that the “red wall” Brexit emperor has no clothes.

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/brexit-cost-uk-only-good-070022642.html

• Options
    'Significant changes' coming for Irish trade to GB

The Irish government has urged exporters to Great Britain to be ready for new post-Brexit border controls which apply from the end of January.

It is part of a long-delayed UK plan to apply more controls and checks on EU imports.

However, the UK government was not ready to apply controls on EU goods and the introduction of those controls has been delayed on five occasions in the subsequent years.

The changes will finally start to be implemented from 31 January with full customs processes and the pre-notification and official certification of some agri-food products.

This will add a significant administrative burden to EU to Great Britain agri-food exports and Ireland will be particularly affected as the UK remains its single biggest market for food exports.

It is still unclear when Irish agri-food products will start to be physically inspected at Great Britain ports.

Goods from the rest of the EU will start to face physical checks from April but goods from Ireland will not be subject to checks any earlier than October.

The government is yet to clarify how it will discriminate between Irish and Northern Irish goods arriving from Northern Ireland ports without imposing any new bureaucracy on Northern Ireland businesses.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cw4m7j9zrgjo
  • Options
    Brexit trade checks will cost £330m a year. Starmer must revisit this disastrous deal

The government is planning to increase the cost of doing business in Britain by a total of £330m a year.

From the end of this month and again in April, it will start imposing a battery of border controls on agricultural trade with the EU. Fierce protests from farming and fishing interests have delayed these controls five times. But Rishi Sunak is frantic to show himself to be macho on Brexit. It is vital that Labour’s Keir Starmer steps forward and promises to rescind the controls immediately on taking office. The question is: does he have the guts?

The controls come on top of the selective checks already imposed on British goods entering Europe. They beggar belief. Armies of (nonexistent) vets will have to certify meat and fish produce. Plants that are transported during their growing cycle will have to be inspected and tested to check for “biosecurity”. Warehouses and truck parks must be prepared, officials recruited and paperwork filed.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/brexit-trade-checks-cost-330m-100045860.html
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak offers to sacrifice Brexit freedoms to re-establish government in Northern Ireland

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/rishi-sunak-offers-sacrifice-brexit-212541556.html
  • Options