You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Brexit betrayal as Labour is tipped to ‘re-align UK with EU rules'

Comments

• Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,591
    rabdeniro said:

Have they started blaming Brexit for England getting knocked oot yet ?.

At least we were actually knocked out of that. We did our best but were beaten.

In Brexit we knocked ourselves out.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,020
    tai-gar said:

rabdeniro said:

Have they started blaming Brexit for England getting knocked oot yet ?.

At least we were actually knocked out of that. We did our best but were beaten.

In Brexit we knocked ourselves out.
    We did.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

MISTY4ME said:

I don't think that would be a good idea when they have a huge lead in the polls anyway. I know it's not the Election yet, but this is the main reason that the Tories won so many seats in the traditional labour heartlands. Why would you risk upsetting the voters who are likely to be coming back to you anyway?

I also noticed the other day that one of the Tory Cabinet (think it was Nadhim Zahawi on Laura Kuenssberg on Sunday) was saying how the Govt. has to stop these 'Little Boats' coming to the UK

Interesting :*

Exactly this.

Nothing to do with what Labour should be doing from an objective standpoint. But they are miles ahead in the polls-and that is before this Winter, which is going to be a nightmare for the Tories as well as the electorate.

Divisive policies are the preserve of people who are losing.
    Tories slapped on the wrist for making a misleading Brexit claim

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/tories-slapped-on-the-wrist-for-making-a-misleading-brexit-claim/ar-AA15b62z?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=dc672c206d8242f8b370086edf5936b3
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Essexphil said:

MISTY4ME said:

I don't think that would be a good idea when they have a huge lead in the polls anyway. I know it's not the Election yet, but this is the main reason that the Tories won so many seats in the traditional labour heartlands. Why would you risk upsetting the voters who are likely to be coming back to you anyway?

I also noticed the other day that one of the Tory Cabinet (think it was Nadhim Zahawi on Laura Kuenssberg on Sunday) was saying how the Govt. has to stop these 'Little Boats' coming to the UK

Exactly this.

Nothing to do with what Labour should be doing from an objective standpoint. But they are miles ahead in the polls-and that is before this Winter, which is going to be a nightmare for the Tories as well as the electorate.

Voices: Neither Labour nor the Conservatives will face up to the truth of Brexit

So Keir Starmer’s meaningless platitude of “make Brexit work” simply won’t cut it. Pretending that Brexit can be positive is dishonest, playing into the hands of the government, and undermining our national interest. We have to admit that this is about damage limitation now.

No wonder that YouGov’s tracker recently found a record low number of people (32 per cent) saying that, on reflection, the decision to leave was the right one, versus 56 per cent saying Brexit was a bad idea. This margin is clear; it seems the six years since the referendum have convinced people working with Europe is more beneficial than working against it.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/voices-neither-labour-nor-conservatives-105755983.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

MISTY4ME said:

Exactly this.

'We still don't have Brexit!' Boris and Rishi savaged as UK still 'joined at hip with EU'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/we-still-don-t-have-brexit-boris-and-rishi-savaged-as-uk-still-joined-at-hip-with-eu/ar-AA15pxZA?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4e84b22efdb64c31bff23702bf08ab9f
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

MISTY4ME said:

Exactly this.

‘We didn’t vote for this’: anger over Brexit failures is haunting the Tories

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/we-didn-t-vote-for-this-anger-over-brexit-failures-is-haunting-the-tories/ar-AA15pdgJ?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4e84b22efdb64c31bff23702bf08ab9f
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

MISTY4ME said:

Exactly this.

Labour needs more than voters’ anger with Tories failures to win

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/editorpicks/labour-needs-more-than-voters-anger-with-tories-failures-to-win/ar-AA15pntC?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=9dab0522466a49338eb7dbc6e77ed0c1
  • Options
    ‘Worse than feared’: Brexit to blame for £33bn loss to UK economy, study shows

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/worse-feared-brexit-blame-33bn-170106060.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

MISTY4ME said:

Exactly this.

Brexit scheme that makes EU citizens reapply for right to live in UK unlawful, High Court rules

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/brexit-scheme-makes-eu-citizens-105200380.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

MISTY4ME said:

Exactly this.

Voices: The Tories and Labour are saying one thing on Brexit and doing another

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/voices-the-tories-and-labour-are-saying-one-thing-on-brexit-and-doing-another/ar-AA15wmM9?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=573448af8ed54c458fe29b7afeec1def
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    HAYSIE said:
    What rubbish.

Jaguar has been Indian-owned since 2008, and was American before that.

There has been no British car manufacturer of any size since the 1980s.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:
    What rubbish.

I dont know why you picked that one.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Brian Cox calls for Brexit to be reversed as gloating Verhofstadt mocks 'con'

Meanwhile, Mr Verhofstadt has mocked leaving the EU as a "con" after a report said the UK's GDP shrank by 5.5 percent in the second quarter of this year.

The Belgian MEP said: "Taxes up. Pay down. An economy 5.5% smaller..all thanks to #Brexit.

"Is this the future British people voted for? or was Brexit a con?"

Prof. Cox and Mr Verhofstadt's comments came after a survey by YouGov for the Times found 41 percent of Leave voters think Brexit had been worse than they thought during the 2016 referendum.

Following the survey, pollster John Curtice told The Times the number of people who voted to Leave in 2016 was falling because of old age, replaced with younger people who largely think Brexit was a bad idea.

"Unless the Tories can convince middle-aged voters that Brexit was a good idea, then it is an idea that will die on its feet as the electorate changes", he said.

"There are very few voters under the age of 24 who think Brexit was a good idea."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/brian-cox-calls-for-brexit-to-be-reversed-as-gloating-verhofstadt-mocks-con/ar-AA15DcOY?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=6eba65439bd3470ab742213a7d44d12b
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:
    What rubbish.

I am uncertain on whether you are missing the point they are trying to make.
    Although I think it more likely that you are ignoring it.

The government’s next fleet of armoured ministerial cars will be made in Germany because supply chain issues hampered by Brexit mean no British manufacturer is able to meet its requirements, The Independent has learned.

The Metropolitan Police announced over the summer that it was ditching armoured Jaguar XJs for Baden-Württemberg-assembled Audi A8s – prompting criticism.

But it has now been revealed that the decision was made because there no British car maker is “able to meet the requirements of the tender”, forcing the Met’s hand.

Last year, UK car production hit its lowest level since 1956
    , because of skills shortages and supply chain issues worsened by Brexit and the pandemic.

Jaguar has provided British government ministerial cars for more than three decades but its plants have had to pause production at points over the past few years due to problems obtaining parts.

“Twelve years of Tory instability and uncertainty has left our car industry suffering,” said Jonathan Reynolds, Labour’s shadow business secretary.

“UK car manufacturing output is less than half the level it was six years ago – a truly harrowing situation for a hard-working industry which deserves better.”

The problems obtaining a suitable car from the UK were revealed in a written response to a question from the London Assembly, which scrutinises the Metropolitan Police Authority. The Met is in turn responsible for ministerial protection, including procuring the cars.

“All Metropolitan Police Service contracts are subject to public procurement regulations, with considerations given to safety requirements as well as cost and vehicle availability,” officers said in a statement.

“For this tender specifically, at the time of tender, there was no UK original equipment manufacturer able to meet the requirements of the tender, or producing a similar specification of vehicle, therefore no bid was made by any UK manufacture for the contract.”

In 2016, the UK produced around 1.7 million cars a year, but since the EU referendum, this figure has steadily declined to just 786,000, according to the latest numbers from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/brexit-means-no-british-manufacturer-able-to-build-uk-government-s-ministerial-cars/ar-AA15Cu5i?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=91e949f24b3f4c578febbb3d6b14f653

• Options
    edited December 2022
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:
    What rubbish.

Probably because-unlike you-I read the article you posted.

Ministerial cars have, apparently, been made by Jaguar for the last 30 years.

The British car industry was dying before we joined the EU. And died while we were in the EU.

When you say "produced" 1.6 million cars, we didn't manufacture the vast majority. We just assembled them.

The main reason there is decline in the assembly is not Brexit. It's the fact that we are shortly to ban the vehicles!
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:
    What rubbish.

Probably because-unlike you-I read the article you posted.

Ministerial cars have, apparently, been made by Jaguar for the last 30 years.

The British car industry was dying before we joined the EU. And died while we were in the EU.

When you say "produced" 1.6 million cars, we didn't manufacture the vast majority. We just assembled them.

The main reason there is decline in the assembly is not Brexit. It's the fact that we are shortly to ban the vehicles!
    I think the point that they were making was that, no UK based car assembler was able to tender for these particular cars.
  • Options
    There are 5 armoured cars regularly used in the UK.

2 BMWs, the Jag, a Range Rover and a Land Rover. 3 of those 5 are made in Britain.

The Jaguar is hopelessly out of date-it is 12 years old. Out of date before we left the EU. No idea why the BMW is the "only one" that meets the requirements. But then, of course, we don't know what the requirements were. Been using them since we left the EU I see.

I suspect the requirement was "I'd like a BMW, please".

In part, because Jags and Rovers have not had comparable investment for many years. Both before we left the EU. And after.

Funny how you believe politicians lie except when you are agreeing with them...

It's so convenient to blame Brexit for everything. No need to let the facts get in the way.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

2 BMWs, the Jag, a Range Rover and a Land Rover. 3 of those 5 are made in Britain.

The Jaguar is hopelessly out of date-it is 12 years old. Out of date before we left the EU. No idea why the BMW is the "only one" that meets the requirements. But then, of course, we don't know what the requirements were. Been using them since we left the EU I see.

In part, because Jags and Rovers have not had comparable investment for many years. Both before we left the EU. And after.

It's so convenient to blame Brexit for everything. No need to let the facts get in the way.

Firstly, I dont believe that everything is down to Brexit.
    Secondly, I merely said I could see the point that they were making.
    Thirdly, I dont think politicians lie all the time, just most of the time.
    Fourthly, Happy Christmas.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Firstly, I dont believe that everything is down to Brexit.
    Secondly, I merely said I could see the point that they were making.
    Thirdly, I dont think politicians lie all the time, just most of the time.
    Fourthly, Happy Christmas.
    It just annoys me when people use Brexit as an excuse for failure in this country. In exactly the same way as Brexiteers wrongly blamed the EU.

The 2030 ban on new petrol/diesel car sales means that all car manufacturers are looking elsewhere going forward. Quite why we have chosen to do this while the rest of the World has not baffles me.

Agree about politicians. Although (as I have said before) it is more of a reflection on the Electorate (rather than Labour) that they refuse to say anything about the EU and our relationship going forward.

Leaving the EU was always going to be bad from an economic perspective. However, there are other benefits of solely governing ourselves. We are just not seeing any because we have a Government whose only ideas are profoundly negative.

I don't always agree with what you say (though I do agree with most). But I always enjoy reading your posts.

Happy Christmas. And a Prosperous New Year.