You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Keir Starmer is about to kill the Brexit dream for good

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 33,426

HAYSIE said:

No he won't. Simply because he can't.

We are no longer a member of the EU which means that any attempt to join would have to begin with an application. Right from the start like any other aspiring member.

He can't just pass a law, sign a piece of paper and hey ho Brexit is reversed.

Just another banner headline aimed at scaring people who don't understand how the process works by a Party desperate to limit the damage they are going to have inflicted on them.

Kemi Badenoch, another reason to not vote Conservative.
    She is almost on a par with Farage in my view, but not quite.
    The article is below.
    Mostly bs.

I am not sure what Starmer can or cant do, or the speed in which he can do it.
    Although a 200 seat majority means he can probably do pretty much anything he wants.
    He has not been clear on his intentions.
    It is difficult to say what closer ties actually means.

Starmer will reverse Brexit, warns Badenoch

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/starmer-will-reverse-brexit-warns-badenoch/ar-BB1oFhlc?ocid=BingNewsSerp#fullscreen
  • Options
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,463
    Oh the irony. Sunak appealing to people to vote Tory because Labour will try and reverse Brexit.

Pathetic. It's like " Oh sorry that we've achieved fk all after a decade in power but if you don't vote for us the nasty man will try and take you back into the EU".

Really Rich Boy is that all you got,

I voted to leave the EU and was angry at the Remain attempt to try and get the referendum result altered or amended in some way.

When Labour win this election, should they decide to try and rejoin th EU that is their perogative, the people who elected them have been made aware that this maybe a possibility and if it happens, however unlikely I will accept that as fait accompli.

The possibility will not stop me voting against the Tories.

• Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,823
    I voted brexit and recognise it was a mistake to do so. If there is a referendum to rejoin I will vote to rejoin, however I really do not feel it would be a good move to undo brexit without a referendum on this issue.
  • Options
    Doubleme said:

I voted brexit and recognise it was a mistake to do so. If there is a referendum to rejoin I will vote to rejoin, however I really do not feel it would be a good move to undo brexit without a referendum on this issue.

Why am I not surprised?

• Options

Oh the irony. Sunak appealing to people to vote Tory because Labour will try and reverse Brexit.

Pathetic. It's like " Oh sorry that we've achieved fk all after a decade in power but if you don't vote for us the nasty man will try and take you back into the EU".

I voted to leave the EU and was angry at the Remain attempt to try and get the referendum result altered or amended in some way.

When Labour win this election, should they decide to try and rejoin th EU that is their perogative, the people who elected them have been made aware that this maybe a possibility and if it happens, however unlikely I will accept that as fait accompli.

Any government we elect should surely do what is best for our country, and nothing should be out of bounds.
    I caught a bit of Paul Johson of the IFS this morning on Sky News, and he seemed to be saying that dabbling around the edges would be unlikely to change a lot.
    He said that seeking closer ties, while ruling out a Customs Union, would not accomplish a lot.
    I am not sure that it is a good thing to rule out anything that improves our economy.
  • Options
    edited June 25
    HAYSIE said:

Any government we elect should surely do what is best for our country, and nothing should be out of bounds.
    I caught a bit of Paul Johson of the IFS this morning on Sky News, and he seemed to be saying that dabbling around the edges would be unlikely to change a lot.
    He said that seeking closer ties, while ruling out a Customs Union, would not accomplish a lot.
    I am not sure that it is a good thing to rule out anything that improves our economy.
    This is him below.
    He starts the discussion about growth at about 24.00.
    He isnt very complimentary about any of the manifestos.
    "A conspiracy of silence".
    It is worth listening to if you have a minute.

General Election 2024: IFS manifesto analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgvTIinF_xU
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

This is him below.
    He starts the discussion about growth at about 24.00.
    He isnt very complimentary about any of the manifestos.
    "A conspiracy of silence".
    It is worth listening to if you have a minute.

General Election 2024: IFS manifesto analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgvTIinF_xU
    His bit is the first half hour.
  • Options
    This resurfaces repeatedly.
    Over 8 years since the referendum, and more than 4 years since we left.
    Yet nobody has come up with a feasible alternative.
    The DUP are categorically against EU Law, and the border, while embracing the best of both worlds that the access to both markets gives them.
    I dont think that EU Law created the border, I thought that was down to Boris, and the UK government.
    It is easy to see why they wouldnt be happy with the differences between them and the rest of the UK, but it is impossible to see an alternative.

If it was possible to move the border elsewhere, they would lose the EU Law, and be out of the SM, and CU.
    That would solve the problem completely, and they would lose the best of both worlds.
    All they have to do now is find a place to move it to.

Protocol and Irish Sea border are key issues in DUP campaign

“Our clear message going forward is that we are campaigning to send a strong message to a new government, whether Labour or Conservative, that building on the progress to date, we will continue to fight to fully restore Northern Ireland’s place within the United Kingdom, including removing the application of EU law in our country and the internal Irish Sea border it creates,” the manifesto states.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/protocol-and-irish-sea-border-are-key-issues-in-dup-campaign/ar-BB1oNsJN?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=a8614facb7c9459ab2bcb610d5c86eee&ei=83#fullscreen
  • Options
  • Options
    No Brexit renegotiation without free movement, warns Barnier

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/no-brexit-renegotiation-without-free-160000618.html
  • Options
    Divided by Brexit: 15 Intense Clashes Igniting Northern Ireland’s Tensions

Northern Ireland remains a land of unresolved issues and mounting tensions post-Brexit. But how deep do these conflicts run, and what are their potential repercussions?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/divided-by-brexit-15-intense-clashes-igniting-northern-ireland-s-tensions/ss-BB1oMobT?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=69a15721b6894e4d8cd5a6c0ba1fdb13&ei=14#image=1
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Divided by Brexit: 15 Intense Clashes Igniting Northern Ireland’s Tensions

Northern Ireland remains a land of unresolved issues and mounting tensions post-Brexit. But how deep do these conflicts run, and what are their potential repercussions?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/divided-by-brexit-15-intense-clashes-igniting-northern-ireland-s-tensions/ss-BB1oMobT?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=69a15721b6894e4d8cd5a6c0ba1fdb13&ei=14#image=1

This is a bit out of date.
  • Options
    Sir Jeffrey Donaldson case progressing 'on track'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cq559g2vg4no
  • Options

EU Commission President von der Leyen wins another term, FAZ, dpa say

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/eu-commission-president-von-der-leyen-wins-another-term-faz-dpa-say/ar-BB1oRfzP?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=25d48b3458534a01848b40ef7b4c29ff&ei=73#fullscreen
  • Options

Keir Starmer is about to kill the Brexit dream for good

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/keir-starmer-kill-brexit-dream-132811265.html