You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Brexit betrayal as Labour is tipped to ‘re-align UK with EU rules'

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,015
    Essexphil said:

Man not allowed to join club for decades, due to a prominent member's belief the man would be disruptive, and generally spoil the club.

Man joins club, and immediately afterwards asks its people whether it should have done so. Then objects to pretty much everything the Club is trying to do. Views everything with either suspicion or contempt. Whether that be the EEC, the EC, or the EU.

Man leaves club. In leaving, calls them every name under the sun.

Now man decides that they should automatically be allowed to rejoin club. Regardless of what the loyal members think.

And the UK wonders why we are viewed with suspicion throughout Europe?

Guy Hands used to advertise timeshare.
    He went on to own a timeshare resort called Rhinefield House.
    I notice that it is now included in their Hand Picked Hotels.
    I checked out the cost of a suite.
    From £372 per night.
    Probably more expensive in the Summer.
    A little more than a timeshare maintenance fee.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,163
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Man not allowed to join club for decades, due to a prominent member's belief the man would be disruptive, and generally spoil the club.

Man joins club, and immediately afterwards asks its people whether it should have done so. Then objects to pretty much everything the Club is trying to do. Views everything with either suspicion or contempt. Whether that be the EEC, the EC, or the EU.

Now man decides that they should automatically be allowed to rejoin club. Regardless of what the loyal members think.

From £372 per night.
    Good deals those Timeshares ;)
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

From £372 per night.
    Of course.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

From £372 per night.
    I could had a free week there that we took in part-exchange.
    Have a look at it its quite impressive.

https://www.handpickedhotels.co.uk/rhinefieldhouse/welcome/video-photos/watch-our-video
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,163
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

From £372 per night.

https://www.handpickedhotels.co.uk/rhinefieldhouse/welcome/video-photos/watch-our-video
    Not into that type of ostentatious Old Fashioned Hotel ..... I'd rather stay in a Premier Inn for 10% of the price ........ :)
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

From £372 per night.

Not into that type of ostentatious Old Fashioned Hotel ..... I'd rather stay in a Premier Inn for 10% of the price ........ :)
    Of course you would.
    No class.
    Wasnt that the whole point of how people were sold timeshare.
    The thought of being able to access a £372 per night hotel for a week, by paying a maintenance fee.
  • Options
  • Options
    ANDREW PIERCE: Arch-Brexiteer Owen Paterson banks on European court as he launches his case today

ANDREW PIERCE: Today, Paterson launches his appeal against the verdict of the Standards Committee by taking his case to a court he's spent a lifetime criticising.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-11475811/ANDREW-PIERCE-Arch-Brexiteer-Owen-Paterson-banks-European-court-launches-case-today.html
  • Options
    EU sets out plans to shift derivatives clearing from London to Frankfurt

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/eu-sets-post-brexit-rules-100928659.html
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,591
    HAYSIE said:

EU sets out plans to shift derivatives clearing from London to Frankfurt

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/eu-sets-post-brexit-rules-100928659.html

Always the concern that the City of London would suffer greatly from Brexit
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    UK Searches for Brexit Benefits as Promised ‘Freedoms’ Fall Away

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/uk-searches-brexit-benefits-promised-165029753.html
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    Just some quick points about the above:-

1. "Big picture" economic freedoms, such as trade deals, are largely illusory. In reality, the best we can achieve is to mirror EU deals
    2. We certainly do have very real economic freedoms as a result of Brexit. For example, we can have an immigration system tailored to our particular needs, rather than the off-the-peg, one size fits all EU variety. Unfortunately, what we do not possess is a Government with sufficient vision to actually get on and do such things
    3. The supposed bonfire of EU regs is a prime example of where virtue signalling replaces real progress. The vast majority of EU Regs help our businesses. By all means target ones that may not-but to spend ages dismantling a system for no reason other than to appease the more extreme elements within the Tory Party is just stupid
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Just some quick points about the above:-

1. "Big picture" economic freedoms, such as trade deals, are largely illusory. In reality, the best we can achieve is to mirror EU deals
    2. We certainly do have very real economic freedoms as a result of Brexit. For example, we can have an immigration system tailored to our particular needs, rather than the off-the-peg, one size fits all EU variety. Unfortunately, what we do not possess is a Government with sufficient vision to actually get on and do such things
    3. The supposed bonfire of EU regs is a prime example of where virtue signalling replaces real progress. The vast majority of EU Regs help our businesses. By all means target ones that may not-but to spend ages dismantling a system for no reason other than to appease the more extreme elements within the Tory Party is just stupid

The answer to a number of important questions is obviously a different relationship with the EU.
    Yet both main parties seem afraid to even explore this option.
    Some of these questions are as follows,
    The Irish protocol.
    Recruitment in some low paid sectors.
    Growth.
    Trade friction.
    Musicians touring Europe.
    Financial services.

I agree with one of your previous posts, where you said that we should be able to satisfy the demand for recruits in the sectors that we were relying on EU citizens to fulfil, by training Brits to fill them.
    However this would be a long term goal, as training in some of these sectors would take years.
    In any project like this you would have short, medium, and long term goals.
    The optimum short term goals are not vegetables rotting in fields, patients stuck in hospitals, hospitality companies unable to expand through a lack of staff, or an exacerbation of NHS staff shortages, etc.

How can stronger together apply to the UK, but not Europe?

Brexit, two years on – so far, so bad
    31 January marks the two-year anniversary of the UK’s official withdrawal from the EU. Investment Monitor examines how hard Brexit has hit the UK economy so far.

https://www.investmentmonitor.ai/analysis/two-years-brexit-uk-eu

Brexit: How much disruption has there been so far?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55831263
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    edited November 2022
    I fear that the reason Labour will not commit on this issue is very simple. The fault lies with us, the electorate.

We tend to vote for vague goals, rather than detailed ways forward. We seem to naively believe that the detail will somehow magically turn out the way we want (and not the way others expect).

A prime example was Brexit. People voted for leaving the EU, but completely ignored the mechanics of how this was going to be achieved. There is a World of difference between leaving with comprehensive economic plans in place, and just winging it afterwards.

The same applies now. The Labour Party could nail its colours to the mast, whether that be rejoining the EU, or (more likely) some form of deal similar to Switzerland or Norway. But that would cause splits within the Labour Party, and people would be less inclined to vote for a Party with a clear plan, as opposed to one refusing to discuss it.

Compare/contrast with the LibDem position. On the plus side, admirably clear. Trouble is, no-one seems to want to vote for them.

Completely agree with short/medium/long term goals. Where are the incentives to persuade people to work hard in low paid jobs? It could be money, it could be other incentives such as education. Instead, we have nothing.

It is happening in lots of industries. We are reducing (not increasing) the number of Doctors we train. We have a logjam in relation to potential immigrants being assessed. Whereas we should be deporting some, and employing others, instead of paying for them to be in some sort of Limbo.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

I fear that the reason Labour will not commit on this issue is very simple. The fault lies with us, the electorate.

We tend to vote for vague goals, rather than detailed ways forward. We seem to naively believe that the detail will somehow magically turn out the way we want (and not the way others expect).

A prime example was Brexit. People voted for leaving the EU, but completely ignored the mechanics of how this was going to be achieved. There is a World of difference between leaving with comprehensive economic plans in place, and just winging it afterwards.

The same applies now. The Labour Party could nail its colours to the mast, whether that be rejoining the EU, or (more likely) some form of deal similar to Switzerland or Norway. But that would cause splits within the Labour Party, and people would be less inclined to vote for a Party with a clear plan, as opposed to one refusing to discuss it.

Compare/contrast with the LibDem position. On the plus side, admirably clear. Trouble is, no-one seems to want to vote for them.

Completely agree with short/medium/long term goals. Where are the incentives to persuade people to work hard in low paid jobs? It could be money, it could be other incentives such as education. Instead, we have nothing.

It is happening in lots of industries. We are reducing (not increasing) the number of Doctors we train. We have a logjam in relation to potential immigrants being assessed. Whereas we should be deporting some, and employing others, instead of paying for them to be in some sort of Limbo.

I dont think the LibDems matter too much as they are unlikely to get a majority anytime soon.
    How long will Brexit affect UK politics for?
    Has it made general elections more difficult?
    We have our Tory voters, and Labour voters, and those that could vote either way, but where does Brexit now figure in this?
    If we took the latest polling as being correct, 55% Brexit was a mistake, 35% it wasnt, 10% dont know.
    Would this override usual party loyalties or not?
    This majority is likely to continue to increase year on year, as the oldies die, and youngsters qualify to vote.
    What is more important to a diehard Tory voter, the fact that his business is getting fu...d up by Brexit, or his usual Tory Loyalty.
    At the next election do the main parties risk alienating the overwhelming majority that think Brexit was a mistake, by not having a position on a remedy?
    So when if ever will a remedy for Brexit outweigh usual party loyalties?
    For how long will the electorate accept the status quo?