You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Goal Difference and Betting

It is always difficult looking for an edge v the bookies.

One thing that I have noticed is that bookmakers tend to underestimate the importance of Goal Difference as a guide as to how a club may fare in the 2nd half of the season.

Take the Premier League as an example.

For the Top 4, the table says 1. Arsenal 2. Man City 3. Newcastle 4. Man Utd 5. Spurs 6. Liverpool

Oddschecker says 1. Man City 2. Arsenal 3. Man Utd 4. Liverpool 5. Newcastle 6. Spurs

Goal Difference suggests otherwise:- 1. Man City (+29) 2. Arsenal (+26) 3. Newcastle (+21) 4. Liverpool (+12) 5. Spurs (+12, played a game more) 6= Man Utd/Brighton (+7)

Newcastle are 11/10 to be Top 4. Looks like value. To a lesser extent, Spurs look attractive at 11/4. Odds against, but not 11/4.

Whereas Liverpool at Evens, and particularly Man Utd at 4/6 represent (IMO) poor odds.

An outside punt? Chelsea look large at 7/1 to be Top 4-they are only 3 points behind Liverpool, who are Evens.

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,807

@Essexphil

Interesting post Phil, I love chewing the cud on this sort of stuff.

Don't disagree with much of your post, but my concern with Chelsea would be Goal; Difference, theirs is only +1. Which means, to my way of thinking, they are effectively a point WORSE off than the table suggests, as all the other main contenders have significantly better GD.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

Interesting post Phil, I love chewing the cud on this sort of stuff.

Don't disagree with much of your post, but my concern with Chelsea would be Goal; Difference, theirs is only +1. Which means, to my way of thinking, they are effectively a point WORSE off than the table suggests, as all the other main contenders have significantly better GD.

Chelsea are odds against, without doubt. But 2 points to make:-

1. No way they're not going to sign a new striker this month-the ones they have look ill-suited to the Prem, or past it
    2. Their next 6 games-Liverpool away looks tough. But Fulham-Home & Away, Palace (H), West Ham (A) & Southampton (H). Suspect they will be rather shorter odds after those 6.

They look 4/1 to me.
  • spartathenspartathen Member Posts: 936
    Great post.
    The next couple of games could really alter league positions especially Arsenal who have spurs and city to come.
    Newcastle have perhaps the easier fixtures leicester Fulham at home they are in prime spot to finish top 4 although long way to go.
    Can’t see my lot lfc getting near top 4 unless Utd Arsenal or Newcastle fail spectaculary.

Great post.
    The next couple of games could really alter league positions especially Arsenal who have spurs and city to come.
    Newcastle have perhaps the easier fixtures leicester Fulham at home they are in prime spot to finish top 4 although long way to go.
    Can’t see my lot lfc getting near top 4 unless Utd Arsenal or Newcastle fail spectaculary.

As you rightly suggest, Man City are nailed on for top 4.

Arsenal may well fade. But they have the points on the board. Be most surprised if they do not finish top 4. Suspect they may be 2nd, comfortably clear of a bunch between 3rd-6th. Still, you never know-more Spursy than Spurs :)

Newcastle? Never been in this position before. Think the key may well be who they sign this month, as the squad looks thin.

Man Utd? They look better than in the last 3-4 years. But that is still 1 fragile looking team.

If Newcastle, or more likely Man Utd falter, then Liverpool & Spurs are the likeliest. In my view, about equally likely-Spurs have more points, but Liverpool (for all the recent negativity) have a better team.

The next 4 games are pivotal for Spurs-Arsenal at home, then Fulham sandwiching Man City away and home. 6+ points from those 4 games, and we are in with a great shout. Because we have a run of (relatively ) easy fixtures between 11th Feb and 22nd April (with just 4 games left then)
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 6,968
    edited January 2023
    A bit off topic but there seems to be an emerging pattern happening.

• MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,147
    edited January 2023
    Whereas Liverpool at Evens, and particularly Man Utd at 4/6 represent (IMO) poor odds.

An outside punt? Chelsea look large at 7/1 to be Top 4-they are only 3 points behind Liverpool, who are Evens.

Interesting post Phil ........I don't really bet on footy but CHELSEA aren't scoring at present, and I think they'll continue to struggle even if they do manage to sign a decent striker ........ I would much rather back Potter's Old side, BRIGHTON (who are scoring for fun) to sneak into 4th ......gotta be good odds (20/1 Best price) :)
  • MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,235
    Looks like a good price for Chelsea. Just had a cpl of quid on at 8.6 on the Exchange.

I like Joao Felix as well who's just signed on loan and you can be sure they,ll be spending in the window.

I can see Spurs slipping up ( A lot of unhappy fans atm, with the way there playing)

And it still amazes me how Sean Longstaff starts for Newcastle. Can,t see them keeping up with top 4

Still a gamble for Chelsea but what a squad and when Potter does figure out his best team they will move forward again (if he gets the time)
  • MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,235
    edited January 2023

Interesting post Phil ........I don't really bet on footy but CHELSEA aren't scoring at present, and I think they'll continue to struggle even if they do manage to sign a decent striker ........ I would much rather back Potter's Old side, BRIGHTON (who are scoring for fun) to sneak into 4th ......gotta be good odds (20/1 Best price) :)

Brighton need to stop losing players. Looks like Trossard might be next
    MP33 said:

Brighton need to stop losing players. Looks like Trossard might be next

I know what you mean.

But they seem to have a happy knack of getting big fees for players who looked a lot better at Brighton than they do now. The last 3 being Bissouma, Cucurella and Maupay. Trossard is clearly not wanted by their Manager.

Chelsea won't give their Manager time. They never do.

Nathan Jones is 8/1 to be the next PL Manager to get the tin tack, & Southampton are at home to Manchester City tonight. That price won't last if they get a pasting tonight.
  • dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    Southampton are away at Everton on Saturday.
    A big game for both managers
    There
    Tikay10 said:

Nathan Jones is 8/1 to be the next PL Manager to get the tin tack, & Southampton are at home to Manchester City tonight. That price won't last if they get a pasting tonight.

That went well then...

• goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,789
    24/1 strikes me as a very odd price....
    edited January 2023

@goldnballz

Can't say I've ever seen it before. It usually goes 20/1, 22/1, 25/1, 33/1.
    Just had a quick look at the odds to win the league and the stand out odds to me is the 14/1 on Utd but that'll soon disappear if as expected they win tonight. They then go to Arsenal on Sunday,a win there is not out of the question either so that would drastically reduce their odds. Also Arsenal & City have not played each other yet this season,so that's more points being dropped there between them both. They've got the best recent form and seem to be on a roll since Ronaldo left, I think they've won every league game. Surely they've gotta be worth a small punt before the next two games are played at 14/1.

@lucy4

Good spot, I can certainly think of worse bets. Has to be done before the weekend though, as you suggest.
    lucy4 said:

Just had a quick look at the odds to win the league and the stand out odds to me is the 14/1 on Utd but that'll soon disappear if as expected they win tonight. They then go to Arsenal on Sunday,a win there is not out of the question either so that would drastically reduce their odds. Also Arsenal & City have not played each other yet this season,so that's more points being dropped there between them both. They've got the best recent form and seem to be on a roll since Ronaldo left, I think they've won every league game. Surely they've gotta be worth a small punt before the next two games are played at 14/1.

The best laid plans... :D

Football, eh?
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,147
    Tikay10 said:

@goldnballz

Can't say I've ever seen it before. It usually goes 20/1, 22/1, 25/1, 33/1.
    @Tikay10

You need to squeeze 28/1 in there :)