You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Hand selection @ 10 - 20 BB's

luvBWFCluvBWFC Member Posts: 763
edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
What are people's views here? You have been in the tourney a while, you are not yet in the cash and the bubble isn't here yet. You have 14 or so BB's

You can't do much calling becasue of the cost of the call relative to your stack, but if you raise you are getting por committed.

Is it an all in or fold time? Do you still need premium hand in early position? If you are the button andthe pot isn't opened, should you push any two?

This is an area I struggle with personally, so I would be interested in some input.

Carl

Comments

• Options
    crow01crow01 Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2010
    i personaly would only shove on the button by cards you dont mind getting a call with, jq o/s +, and gapped sooted connectors. remember a small raise can look really strong withought getting you really committed. which you can do this with any two......

there are loads of "how can you call this" threads when the button shoves all in with 5 10 o/s.
    EASY!!! because it is an obvious steal! and i call all day long with k 2.....

in it to win it m8
  • Options
    timebomb10timebomb10 Member Posts: 202
    edited March 2010
    hmmm early position with 14 bb or so pushing all in should only get called by a hand beating you really
    so early position shoving is out the question really when you dont have a premium hand
    i would look to be in position to steal the blinds normally 2 and a half times the big blind should be enough to get your steal through giving you enough to get away from the hand preflop if reraised
    pushing on the button looks weak no matter what hand you have but they should need a hand to call you
    even a raise in this position looks like a steal so is likly to get reraised or your going to see the flop
    all i can surgest is pick your spots to make moves and try the raise 2 and a half times the bb in late position

• Options
    DAVEYZZDAVEYZZ Member Posts: 1,651
    edited March 2010
    if it was me i would push everytime its folded round to me in the cutoff down to bb and possibly with a limp in there as well,you need a double up so unless you are called with a high pair you are probably at worse 70% 30% if called........i hate the thought off getting so low that i push with a decent hand and bb has to call with junk which he usually hits so imo....any two in position....go for it!

ps in similar situation in live tourny last night on the bubble in 6th out of ten small stack had 2 bbs and folded guy goes all in on my blind,i have 10/10 and know he has ax but decide to call and he shows aj and hits his ace......but the money went from £49 for 9th place to £650 for 1sst with the top 3 being the big money so i wasnt interested in the £49 and went for it.it just never held up this time:(   gl,dave
  • Options
    DAVEYZZDAVEYZZ Member Posts: 1,651
    edited March 2010
    pps nice to see you back on sky i remember you from the early days:)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Cheers Dave,

I think we met at the Brighton tourney also. Had a bit of a rest from online poker. Trying the waters again.

Carl
  • Options
    DeuceAK_47DeuceAK_47 Member Posts: 381
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Hand selection @ 10 - 20 BB's:
    hmmm early position with 14 bb or so pushing all in should only get called by a hand beating you really so early position shoving is out the question really when you dont have a premium hand i would look to be in position to steal the blinds normally 2 and a half times the big blind should be enough to get your steal through giving you enough to get away from the hand preflop if reraised pushing on the button looks weak no matter what hand you have but they should need a hand to call you even a raise in this position looks like a steal so is likly to get reraised or your going to see the flop all i can surgest is pick your spots to make moves and try the raise 2 and a half times the bb in late position
    Posted by timebomb10
    +1 You can still afford a 2.5x raise and one continuation bet with a 15bb stack (any stack under 12bb, i think should be all in or fold pre)

When i have about 15bb left im mainly looking to resteal-so many players are stealing the blinds, so just push over their 3x raise and take down all the dead money in the pot (If your doing this as a bluff dont use hands like A6 as when they call you could easily be nominated by a higher ace,hands like 10,9s are better as even if the opponent wakes up with aces we have good equity.)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Agree with the Ax comment. If im going to gamble in this position, I am going to try to do it with live cards.