You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Some good news at last!!!

DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,432
with all the negative headlines in the news in recent times it was refreshing to see a positive headline for once. Today I read in the news that they are going to try and resurrect the dodo!!!! Guys this is a bird that was so delicious that we hunted it to extinction I can not even imagine how delicious that succulent meat will be!!!

I and I am sure many will be looking forward to finally finding out.

Comments

• goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,426
    Cannibal Lecter

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,519
    Did not taste good
    According to this article, dodos were large pigeons, and did not taste good. (Subscription required). It wasn’t that they were hunted to extinction, it was the rats and pigs that did them in, by eating the eggs from their nests. Can the dodo still be alive? Yes, little dodos are alive, but they are not well.
    When did the dodo bird go extinct? – KnowledgeBurrow.com
    knowledgeburrow.com/when-did-the-dodo-bird-go-extinct/

Originally Answered: what do dodo birds taste like?
    Well Ethan, since the Dodo bird has been extinct for over 300 years, I doubt that you will find anyone who can answer your question exactly. Its last confirmed sighting was in 1662. The flightless bird from Mauritius and the adjacent islands weighed in at about 51 lbs and was hunted to extinction.

As to taste, that is relative and personal, and very hard to describe, unless you have some correlative to compare to. It is known that the dodo bird was a welcome source of fresh meat for the sailors of the time. Large numbers of dodo birds were killed for food. It is said that the dodo certainly "did not taste like chicken" and in fact led to some writers to claim that the birds were only eaten by necessity, and were just plain nasty. The one recipe that was recorded for cooking Dodo suggests it be done with mangoes, fruit native to Mauritius, so it would cover the awful taste.

https://www.quora.com/What-do-dodo-birds-taste-like
    The "Nono" Political Bird lets us down....tasteless to the core fryin without wings.
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,147
    The Extinction of the Dodo ........ probably the ONLY thing @HAYSIE can't blame on BREXIT :)

.......yet ! :o:s
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    I suspect the OP was mistaking the dodo for the Giant Tortoise, which was supposedly delicious.
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,013
    We're gonna need a bigger egg cup
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,519
    How And When Did The Dodo Go Extinct?
    Debated hotly by biologists, the dodo went extinct at the end of the seventeenth century for three possible reasons, or some combination of them.

Arrival Of Humans
    First, before the arrival of humans on Mauritius—an island where the dodos had lived and evolved for centuries—the species had no natural predators. Due to their inability to adapt to the imminent threats and tactfully escape, they became an easy target for explorers on excursions to the island. Unabated hunting by sailors and explorers were the main reason why the dodos went extinct.

Arrival Of Invasive Species
    Second—the western explorers and sailors didn’t come to the island of Mauritius alone. They also brought foreign animals like rats, cats, dogs, pigs etc. In the new habitat of Mauritius, these animals became invasive for the poor dodos, who had zero experience dealing with them. As mentioned earlier, dodos laid their eggs directly on the ground, so many of these foreign animals raided the dodos’ nests and fed on their young and unborn. Humans and foreign animals made this endemic creature a hostage in its own habitat.

Shrinking Of Natural Habitat
    Finally, as the explorers explored deeper into the island, the natural resources were exploited and harvested, which harmed not only the dodos, but other endemic species and plants—ultimately paving the way for the extinction of this eccentric bird. Human invasion, loss of habitat, and the threat from foreign animals are the three main reasons why dodos went extinct.

https://www.scienceabc.com/nature/animals/dodo-bird-go-extinct.html
    Just as well it can't fly, give the Seagulls some competition.

edited February 2023
    I never eat the last Dodo .... at Party Gate.

• DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,432
    HAYSIE said:

Did not taste good
    According to this article, dodos were large pigeons, and did not taste good. (Subscription required). It wasn’t that they were hunted to extinction, it was the rats and pigs that did them in, by eating the eggs from their nests. Can the dodo still be alive? Yes, little dodos are alive, but they are not well.
    When did the dodo bird go extinct? – KnowledgeBurrow.com
    knowledgeburrow.com/when-did-the-dodo-bird-go-extinct/

Originally Answered: what do dodo birds taste like?
    Well Ethan, since the Dodo bird has been extinct for over 300 years, I doubt that you will find anyone who can answer your question exactly. Its last confirmed sighting was in 1662. The flightless bird from Mauritius and the adjacent islands weighed in at about 51 lbs and was hunted to extinction.

As to taste, that is relative and personal, and very hard to describe, unless you have some correlative to compare to. It is known that the dodo bird was a welcome source of fresh meat for the sailors of the time. Large numbers of dodo birds were killed for food. It is said that the dodo certainly "did not taste like chicken" and in fact led to some writers to claim that the birds were only eaten by necessity, and were just plain nasty. The one recipe that was recorded for cooking Dodo suggests it be done with mangoes, fruit native to Mauritius, so it would cover the awful taste.

https://www.quora.com/What-do-dodo-birds-taste-like

Yeah well you try telling this to the Winnis they have got proper hungry for dodo meat now they got their cutterly out and bibbs on told them they wont be allowed to eat because will be endangered species but no convincing them, they decided they eat.
    Which of these eat the Dodo...

History of Mauritius
    The known history of Mauritius begins with its discovery by Arabs and Malays, followed by Europeans and its appearance on maps in the early 16th century. Mauritius was successively colonized by the Netherlands, France and Great Britain, and became independent in 12 March 1968. Wikipedia