You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Superleague relegation battle. THEY THINK IT'S ALL OVER...... IT IS NOW

TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,157
edited September 2023 in Sports & Betting Chat
Well after just 4 rounds of the 2023 BetFred Superleague it seems that the relegation place is going to be a straight fight between 2 teams separated by a £3 bus journey.

Wakefield Trinity and Castleford Tigers are both on zero points, Wakey having only scored in 1 game and Cas, already having got rid of their Head coach, looking like they couldn't beat an egg.

Wakefield currently occupy bottom spot by virtue of the fact they have shipped a few more points than Castleford and with the Tigers hosting Leeds on Sky on Thursday and Trinity at Salford on Sunday It would appear that both will remain pointless.

Having already bounced back from 2 relegations from The Superleague, I feel that if Cas go this time it will be a long road to regain the top flight and as a fan, to have that happen would be a disaster, especially if its because our bitter rivals stay up.

COYF.

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    edited March 2023

Well after just 4 rounds of the 2023 BetFred Superleague it seems that the relegation place is going to be a straight fight between 2 teams separated by a £3 bus journey.

Wakefield Trinity and Castleford Tigers are both on zero points, Wakey having only scored in 1 game and Cas, already having got rid of their Head coach, looking like they couldn't beat an egg.

Wakefield currently occupy bottom spot by virtue of the fact they have shipped a few more points than Castleford and with the Tigers hosting Leeds on Sky on Thursday and Trinity at Salford on Sunday It would appear that both will remain pointless.

Having already bounced back from 2 relegations from The Superleague, I feel that if Cas go this time it will be a long road to regain the top flight and as a fan, to have that happen would be a disaster, especially if its because our bitter rivals stay up.

COYF.

Think you will be ok.

Cas are bad. But Wakefield are way worse. And don't discount Leigh or the 2 Hull sides.

PS-as a Hull fan, I admire Lee Radford immensely as a player and a human being. But, sadly, not as a Coach.
  • Options
    Wow like just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, Cas get nilled at home by Warrington whilst Wakefield remain winless after another horror show against Hull K R.

Things then get even more desperate as new boys Leigh win again, this time at the expense of a Hull side now getting dragged into the fight at the bottom and this weekends games offer little hope as Wakey go to Saints, Cas travel to Catalans for their habitual good hiding and Hull face rampant leaders Warrington

Massive game on Thursday 6th April as the current and probably still bottom 2 clash live on Sky. Huge, very local, "local derby", with very serious implications for the losing team.

I'm a wreck thinking about it already, I'm going to be a complete basket case by the time it kicks off. Isn't sport incredible.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,256

"Isn't sport incredible".

Our lives would be so much the poorer without sport. Not a day goes past when I don't watch at least some sorting action & it's been that way for me for the last 60 odd years.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    Tikay10 said:

Our lives would be so much the poorer without sport. Not a day goes past when I don't watch at least some sorting action & it's been that way for me for the last 60 odd years.

Never put you down as post office kinda guy ;)
    I'm sorry mate i couldn't help myself i'm in that kinda mood , where's @QUICKFEET when you need him
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    @stokefc

As comments go, that was First Class.

Exactly. He types with his toes & never makes a typo, I can't even manage it with regular hands.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@stokefc

As comments go, that was First Class.

Exactly. He types with his toes & never makes a typo, I can't even manage it with regular hands.

Shhh, that's just the kind of thing that'll get you a starting berth for Castleford and before you cite your age as a stumbling block, don't bet on it. We are soooo bad atm.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,028
    stokefc said:

Tikay10 said:

Never put you down as post office kinda guy ;)
    I'm sorry mate i couldn't help myself i'm in that kinda mood , where's @QUICKFEET when you need him
    I read it as 'Not a day goes past when I don't watch at least some sort in action'
  • Options

It's getting worse...
  • Options
    thefallthefall Member Posts: 1,969
    Things are gonna get worse nurse ( John Cooper Clarke )
  • Options
    Ok nothing surprising about the last round of games except maybe Castleford only going down by four points instead of our usual capitulation at Catalans.
    As predicted Wakefield got an absolute drubbing at Saints where they failed to register a single point for the 3rd time this season. A new SL record for this stage of the season.

Thursdays fixture at the Jungle is critical even this early in. With the new boys Leigh showing signs that they are going to be more competitive than the usual promoted teams a four point gap could well be needed to break Trinity resolve.

I can't even contemplate a Wakefield win especially as the game after sees Cas at Salford, a ground where we don't do well historically and Wakefield hosting the new boys Leigh.

I think 16 points will be needed to stay up this term and ideally we need half of them by the Magic Weekend.

I will be watching on Sky rather than undertaking the 200 mile round trip, at least that way I can turn it off if it all gets too much and go down the gym and release the tension.

COYF.
  • Options

Ok nothing surprising about the last round of games except maybe Castleford only going down by four points instead of our usual capitulation at Catalans.
    As predicted Wakefield got an absolute drubbing at Saints where they failed to register a single point for the 3rd time this season. A new SL record for this stage of the season.

Thursdays fixture at the Jungle is critical even this early in. With the new boys Leigh showing signs that they are going to be more competitive than the usual promoted teams a four point gap could well be needed to break Trinity resolve.

I can't even contemplate a Wakefield win especially as the game after sees Cas at Salford, a ground where we don't do well historically and Wakefield hosting the new boys Leigh.

I think 16 points will be needed to stay up this term and ideally we need half of them by the Magic Weekend.

I will be watching on Sky rather than undertaking the 200 mile round trip, at least that way I can turn it off if it all gets too much and go down the gym and release the tension.

COYF.

Watched some of that. As predicted, Cas were not great, but Wakefield made them look like world-beaters.

Will watch the Hull derby on Sky tomorrow. Hull desperately need a win.
  • Options
    Another tough weekend beckons for Superleagues bottom 3 as Wakefield travel to Wigan, Hull host Huddersfield and Castleford welcome an in form Hull K R to the Jungle.

Whilst both Hull and Cas harbour hopes of collecting just their 3rd win of the campaign, Wakey are just hoping to score as yet again they failed to post a point. I still feel that Hull will have enough to get out of trouble and that it's still between Cas and Wakey for the drop, of course the black and whites could fail to halt the slide but I expect them to grab a victory.

As far as both Tigers and Trinity are concerned I feel this weekend will be more of the same with both being on the wrong side of heavy defeats, although it would be just like Wakefield to go to the JJB and win. Such is sport and especially Rugby League.
  • Options
    After the International break it's all hands to the pumps again for Superleagues bottom 2 as pointless Wakefield travel to Warrington with 2nd bottom Castleford going to an in form Leigh.

Can't see anything other than defeats for both although Wakefields acquisition of Luke Gale can only benefit a team searching for direction.

If there is a surprise this round I'm taking Hull to beat Wigan. Hull have a capable squad who like Cas have struggled for form but looked better when beating Huddersfield last time out.

Of the others I fancy Catalans to beat Saints, Hull K R to overcome Huddersfield and as far as Leeds v Salford goes, it's anyones guess.

Have a sporty weekend.
  • Options
    Still no respite in sight as both Cas and Wakie got their **** handed to them in the Cup last weekend.

it really is a simple either or now for the drop, with Cas holding a slight advantage courtesy of having 2 wins to Wakefields none. My big fear is that Wakie get a win and then suddenly spark. Cas at the moment couldn't tackle a big dinner let alone the rigours of the toughest sport there is and this Friday offers little hope for Cas at Huddersfield whilst Wakefield make the trip to the South of France to take on Catalans.

I wouldn't rule out a Wakefield win, they traditionally go well in France and they have to find form at some point. As far as Castleford are concerned, Huddersfield themselves have little current form but whilst Tigers fans will be finding optimism there, Giants supporters will be relishing facing a Cas outfit low on form, confidence and ability.

The only good thing about being a Cas supporter is it makes following Stoke seem easy in comparison.

Well at least i can never be accused of being a gloryhunter.

• Options
    There are certainties in life. Death and taxes are two, but it is also an immutable fact that you can't trust Leeds to ever, ever do you a favour.

It was all so simple. Scores level against a winless Wakefield who have just been reduced to 12 men, but no Leeds go all Spursy and totally spanner it. Wakefield bouyed by the fact that their cross City rivals and fellow relegation candidates Castleford, got a complete butt reaming at the hands of Salford on Friday manage to get a win at the 15th attempt to once again cut the deficit to 4 points and pile the pressure on to a Cas outfit that look like a complete shambles.

Both of the bottom 2 have a week off as the Challenge Cup takes centre stage, but with Cas back in action against Warrington and Wakey travelling to Hull K R when hostilities resume I don't expect much to change for either side, especially as Wakefield's Salabio has been given a 7 match ban for his horror tackle on Leeds Myler.

Cas, I feel, need 3 more wins to probably be safe but I honestly can't see where they are going to come. We have to play Wakefield one more time and Leeds one more time and so far our 3 wins have come against those 2 sides. However, history shows that the chances of repeating the feat are very slim.

That aside we have been a mile away from every other side this season and there would appear to be little improvement in sight.

On the 20th August we go to Wakefield, hopefully with a few points advantage. If it's still this close then that's going to be an absolute heart attack waiting to happen.

COYF.

• Options
  • Options
    27 game season.

After 15 games, Wakefield have 1 win. Cas have 3.

If Cas win their fixture v Wakefield, that's it. If not, Cas will probably only need, at most, 2 wins. Not 3.

Cas might be bad. But Wakefield are worse. A horror show worse than anything Joe Westerman could manage :)
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@TheEdge949

Wrong thread, but did you see this Mark?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/65898176

@Tikay10

Yes Tony saw the "tackle" in real time. Absolute sickener, I honestly thought Myler was going to be terribly injured.

Thankfully he wasn't. Not sure 7 games is sufficient tbh.
  • Options
    Yes, get in there, oh my days.

Really how did that happen ? Castleford find a season defining performance to beat 2nd place Warrington 23 - 14 in a tension packed game at The Jungle. That combined with another Wakefield defeat, this time 28 -12 at Hull K.R once again stretches the gap to 6 points in the battle for Superleague survival.

Next up for Cas is a visit to Saint Helens so nothing doing there, whilst Wakefield host the Salford Red Devils.

Just a quick shout out to Hull F.C. who turned in a brilliant performance of the week to down Saints 34 - 6, thanks guys like that's really going to send them out spitting fire.

Next week will probably see the gap shortened and I'll be all doom, gloom and shredded nerves.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    It's officially all doom and gloom and shredded nerves.

Yes that's right as Cas succumb to the usual drubbing at Saints, Wakefield only go and smash Salford, and a proper job they did on them as well.

Gap is now down to 4 points with 10 games to play and Huddersfield only a further 2 points ahead.

Wakefield host Wigan on Friday whilst a short bus journey away Castleford welcome Leigh to the Jungle. I don't even know what to think anymore, the formbook says defeats for both but this is a mad, unpredictable, crazy season and any outcome from a 6 point to a 2 point lead over Wakey wouldn't be a shock.

I don't ever remember Cas playing this badly, even during the previous 2 relegation seasons and very few of our defeats have even been close games. It's all starting to feel familiar and I don't much care for the sensation.

Right now Cas total points is available to trade 14.25 - 15.75
    Right now Wake total points is available to trade 6.5 - 8

The Cas price is assuming between 3 and 4 more wins. If I had the funds available, I'd take a punt and short that for £100 a point especially as our next 3 are Leigh at home then back to back trips to Hull to face F.C. and K.R. where I see no points forthcoming.

If Wakefield suddenly realise that they can play a bit, then we are bang in trouble, August 20th will be absolutely gargantuan for our season.

COYF