You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Public emergency alerts to be sent to all UK mobile phones

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,924

Public emergency alerts to be sent to all UK mobile phones

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64999417

Wait until the conspiracy theorists see this, they'll be wetting themselves with excitement. The Great Reset, the Grand Plan, New World Order, WHO, Bill Gates, all the usual suspects.

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,067
    I read this earlier. This is bonkers.

You won't be able to use your mobile until you have acknowledged the alert.

This will be the biggest boost to con artists ever.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,924

And they are off.

Note....

"What do they know that we don't.."

• Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,773
    edited March 2023
    @Tikay10

this is not anything new, remember at the first covid lock down, we all got a text telling us to stay in, so long ago i forget the context, but i do remember getting a message.

the conspiracy guys are right to get paranoid about some of the stuff that goes on imo.... big brother is here, snowden gave us the proof, but no one realy cares cause we are all too busy raising kids or working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ4aHCzML80

^what a great track.

this ones alright tae

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnReDofsQto
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,387
    This has facility has been with us for years and you can opt out via your phone settings.

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,032
  • Options
    I wonder how many drivers will be caught using their mobile when they have to use it to accept the alert?

Also, people in a abusive relationship who have a hidden mobile may become endangered if the phone goes off.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,067
    VespaPX said:

I wonder how many drivers will be caught using their mobile when they have to use it to accept the alert?

Also, people in a abusive relationship who have a hidden mobile may become endangered if the phone goes off.

Agree.

Similarly, if "Phone users will have to acknowledge the alert before they can use other features on their devices", it will cause a delay before people can dial 999!
  • Options
    What sort of event would warrant a nationwide alert?
    If it's a nuke then it doesn't really matter.

If it's also for local events people already know their environment and don't need the government to tell them it's raining and it might flood if you live next to a river.
    Bl00dy nanny state.
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,773
    edited March 2023
    rev up that scooter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc89WTEh-jE

haha

those guys were rock n roll!
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 518
    Works well in the US, but that's just a text message service. Wildfires are a big thing near my California office and many colleagues lost their homes a few years ago. I've had messages about flash floods and tornados when in other states, which would have been helpful if I was making plans.

A terror alert would also be useful if it's kicking off somewhere like London Bridge.
  • Options
    It's another compliance test.
  • Options
  • Options
    If you think a phone doing a siren noise for 10 seconds is going to cause mass hysteria and chaos maybe you should stay inside that day.

And close your curtains.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    15 mins to make the decision to send the alert

15 mins to take shelter

Pointless
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    Imagine they’ll have to pause the snooker, that could be interesting otherwise
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,223
    What absolutely makes me PMSL is those idiots who use the internet to say it's a way for the Government to track you. LIKE THE INTERNET ISN'T YOU MORONS.

Any Phone can be hacked by GCHQ whether on or off, same for landlines. All internet use leaves a footprint although some are very difficult to follow, Dark Web, Deep Web etc.

Every ATM transaction, every store card use, every contactless purchase and the beat goes on.

Why are people still getting uptight about stuff like this and the irony is nearly all of them are on social media.
  • Options
    Good luck today @VespaPX.

• Options
    OMG
    Just emerged from my bunker and looked in the mirror.....

• Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,082
    I didn't receive my txt perhaps I'm not worthy of being saved...
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

I didn't receive my txt perhaps I'm not worthy of being saved...

Me neither.