You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

iphone problem.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,237
I am too old to understand modern technology.
Having said that I am merely a spring chicken when compared to @Tikay10 .
Getting to the point, I have a problem with my iphone storage.
I apparently have 64GB of storage available.
I am unable to download software updates as I have currently used over 60GB.
I have deleted a few apps, loads of emails etc, but this has made practically no difference.
The main cause of the problem appears to be my Audible app.
I had 467 books in my library, I deleted 462, and just left 5.
This again made no difference.
With hindsight I could have predicted that.
It works on the basis that I download one at a time.
Once I finish each book I archive it.
The Audible app is taking up 45.69 GB of storage.
This is made up of 120MB app size, and 45.67 of documents and data.
Do I just have to get a new phone?

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,667

@HAYSIE

Can't you just Uninstall the Audible App, & then start again by re-installing? Sure, you'll lose your Archived books, but I bet you'll never read 95% of them again. Or maybe you could store them in the "Cloud"?

As an aside, I find with age comes the tendency to hoard, & I certainly plead guilty there. I have over 2,000 books (real physical books, not digital ones) & I'll never open 99% of them again, but I can't bear the thought of getting rid of them, even though some of them are very valuable.

In fact I struggle to throw anything away.

I even hoard basic food items now. I keep 28 tins of peas & 28 tins of potatoes in stock "just in case". As soon as I use one, I replace it.

Other basic food items I keep in triplicate, again, "just in case". Coffee, Ketchup, Ryvita, Salt, even the stuff I feed to the birds - mixed seed, peanuts, dried meal worms.

God knows how bad I'll become when I reach your age.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@HAYSIE

Can't you just Uninstall the Audible App, & then start again by re-installing? Sure, you'll lose your Archived books, but I bet you'll never read 95% of them again. Or maybe you could store them in the "Cloud"?

As an aside, I find with age comes the tendency to hoard, & I certainly plead guilty there. I have over 2,000 books (real physical books, not digital ones) & I'll never open 99% of them again, but I can't bear the thought of getting rid of them, even though some of them are very valuable.

I even hoard basic food items now. I keep 28 tins of peas & 28 tins of potatoes in stock "just in case". As soon as I use one, I replace it.

Other basic food items I keep in triplicate, again, "just in case". Coffee, Ketchup, Ryvita, Salt, even the stuff I feed to the birds - mixed seed, peanuts, dried meal worms.

Firstly I dont even know where they go when they are archived.
    Secondly I have deleted all the books from my library bar 5.
    When I go into the storage settings and check downloads it only shows the one book that I am currently listening to, which shows as 235.2 MB.
    I dont know what the documents and data refers to.
    If I delete the app would I lose the 5 books in my library?
    Or would they be there when I re-install the app?

In case of what?
  • Options

"If I delete the app would I lose the 5 books in my library?"

I would guess so yes, but you can soon download them again. And 5 books won't take up the 235MB currently indicated.

"In case of what?"

I've forgotten.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

I would guess so yes, but you can soon download them again. And 5 books won't take up the 235MB currently indicated.

"In case of what?"

I've forgotten.

Thankyou.
    It worked.
    The 5 books are still there.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

"In case of what?"

I've forgotten.

Thankyou.
    It worked.
    I was thinking about buying a new phone yesterday.
    Saved me £1149.
  • Options

@HAYSIE

Excellent news, well done Tony.

You & I are at the back end of the generation that grew up, were educated & entered the workforce before computers came along, & as a result, it just does not come naturally to us.

It's a continual headache for me, worrying that something will go wrong with my Company Lappie set-up, as then I have to ruing the Staff Help Desk. And they'll say "have you cleared your cookies" or somesuch, & I have no idea what they are talking about or how to do it. Or they'll say "Download such & such" but when I try to, everything is so complicated.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@HAYSIE

Excellent news, well done Tony.

You & I are at the back end of the generation that grew up, were educated & entered the workforce before computers came along, & as a result, it just does not come naturally to us.

It's a continual headache for me, worrying that something will go wrong with my Company Lappie set-up, as then I have to ruing the Staff Help Desk. And they'll say "have you cleared your cookies" or somesuch, & I have no idea what they are talking about or how to do it. Or they'll say "Download such & such" but when I try to, everything is so complicated.

My Grandkids laugh at my attempts to navigate my way through todays technology.
    It all seems completely natural to them.
  • Options
    JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 227
    This made me giggle

Wd @HAYSIE and good effort @Tikay10
  • Options
    JammyFker said:

This made me giggle

Wd @HAYSIE and good effort @Tikay10

Thankyou.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,168
    edited April 2023
    Tikay10 said:

@HAYSIE

You will be Ok for a couple of months when the Nuclear War starts then .....though you won't need coffee unless you've a few hundred litres of bottled water ;):D
  • Options
    yesterday was WORLD Back-Up Day I believe. Apparently we should all Back-Up our devices (Phones, Lappys, computers etc.)

Pity my phone lost every single one of my contacts when the clocks went forward last Sunday .......and I didn't know about backing-up my techy stuff.

I think we need @mumsie 's help in what to do properly :)
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

"In case of what?"

I've forgotten.

Thankyou.
    It worked.

Saved me £1149.

You can defo get the latest iphone14 for under a £Grand with unlimited everything :)

• Options
    edited April 2023
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

"In case of what?"

I've forgotten.

Thankyou.
    It worked.

Saved me £1149.

You can defo get the latest iphone14 for under a £Grand with unlimited everything :)

Why dont you tell me where to get a 2022 model iphone 14 pro, new one ( not renewed ) with a 256GB memory?
  • Options
    The secret iPhone feature you NEVER knew existed - how to turn on your torch, mute or take a screenshot by tapping the BACK of your mobile

https://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2023/03/31/8720147088808129507/636x382_MP4_8720147088808129507.mp4

It's late, you're struggling with your keys at the front door, and the porch light is on the blink again... if only there was help at hand.Well, for iPhone users there is potentially a solution. A little-known feature hidden away among the many settings on the Apple device.A quick double-tap with your finger of the back of the phone, and viola! On goes the torch. Now you can find the keyhole.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-11911933/The-secret-iPhone-feature-NEVER-knew-existed.html
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

"In case of what?"

I've forgotten.

Thankyou.
    It worked.

Saved me £1149.

Apple iPhone 14 Pro (256 GB) - Silver
    Visit the Apple Store
    4.6 out of 5 stars 1,101 ratings | 16 answered questions
    -5% £1,149.00
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @HAYSIE

Why do you need an i-phone14 Pro Tony?

i-phone14 256GB is £879

and i-phone14 max 256GB is £925

but if you really want to get loads and loads of storage you can get a 1TB i-phone 14 Pro for £1200 if you really want to go the 'Whole Hog'

MoneySavingExpert Martin Lewis's website is one of the best places to look....... and thru USwitch.com, or there are companies like Affordable mobiles, or mobiles.co.uk who you can ring who really will help you spend your money (wisely) if you have a deal....they will beat it ..........bit like ringing a Timeshare Salesman ;):D
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    HAYSIE said:

The secret iPhone feature you NEVER knew existed - how to turn on your torch, mute or take a screenshot by tapping the BACK of your mobile

https://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2023/03/31/8720147088808129507/636x382_MP4_8720147088808129507.mp4

It's late, you're struggling with your keys at the front door, and the porch light is on the blink again... if only there was help at hand.Well, for iPhone users there is potentially a solution. A little-known feature hidden away among the many settings on the Apple device.A quick double-tap with your finger of the back of the phone,
    and viola!
    On goes the torch. Now you can find the keyhole.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-11911933/The-secret-iPhone-feature-NEVER-knew-existed.html

Saves you FIDDLING. around ;)
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

@HAYSIE

Why do you need an i-phone14 Pro Tony?

i-phone14 256GB is £879

and i-phone14 max 256GB is £925

but if you really want to get loads and loads of storage you can get a 1TB i-phone 14 Pro for £1200 if you really want to go the 'Whole Hog'

MoneySavingExpert Martin Lewis's website is one of the best places to look....... and thru USwitch.com, or there are companies like Affordable mobiles, or mobiles.co.uk who you can ring who really will help you spend your money (wisely) if you have a deal....they will beat it ..........bit like ringing a Timeshare Salesman ;):D

Space Black
    128GB
    Phone storage
    6.1"
    Screen Size
    Price
    £1,039
    Get deal
    Available from 3 retailers
    The 256GB model is £110 more if you want extra phone storage

Space Black
    128GB
    Phone storage
    6.1"
    Screen Size
    Price
    £1,049
    Get deal
    Via BT
    The 256GB model is £100 more if you want extra phone storage

The above are advertised on moneysavingexpert.
    Other deals are more expensive.
    That means you are talking b0ll0cks again, and also that you havent looked.
    The reason that I was looking at an iphone 14 pro 2022 model with an extra bit of memory was twofold.
    1 because of the above problem.
    2 It would be a long time before I planned to buy another one, if ever.

The pro max is a couple of hundred quid extra, and all you seem to get for that is a half inch bigger screen.

• Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

"In case of what?"

I've forgotten.

Thankyou.
    It worked.

Saved me £1149.

You can save a couple of hundred on Amazon if you buy one that has been renewed.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I have looked .....and I'm not talking 'KAHUNAS' :s

Those prices are bought outright and a for Brand New Phones

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheap-mobile-finder/sim-free/apple/iphone-14/

..... you then have to put your own sim in and best deals on those can be found thru MSE too