You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Hate Crime ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,533
    If the Landlord does not want the Pink Pound or the Black Pound it's his loss.

You don't have to be Gay to go to a Gay Club, but expect to find Gay People.

You go to the White Hart ( say's it all ) then expect to find black toy

black baby for children .....
  • Options
    Seem to remember Jason Manford did Children's Series with the Parents, they had to guess what the child would do in given situations.
    It was done in School classroom & Playground with mixed race children around the age 4-7 ..... the one I remember where they had large box of dolls dressed to represent the different Nationalities Black / White/ chinese/ Asian then asked the children to pick their favourite ...... then, asked the Adults which they thought their child would pick.

Guess What !! The kids got it right the Parents did not.

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    goldon said:

If the Landlord does not want the Pink Pound or the Black Pound it's his loss.

You don't have to be Gay to go to a Gay Club, but expect to find Gay People.

You go to the White Hart ( say's it all ) then expect to find black toy

black baby for children .....

What on earth are you rambling on about?
  • Options
    Golly Gee Wiss I'm all shook up. Lovely Jubbly ! far too complicated for you back in your box ?
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,087
    Golly pub windows are shattered as critics make a violent protest.

Following a controversial decision to visit a Grays pub and confiscate a number of golly dolls and other memorabilia associated with Robertsons Jams, Essex Police officers found themselves back at the premises after bricks were hurled through its windows.

The incident happened close to closing time last night (Saturday, 15 April) when just a few drinkers and landlady Benice Ryley were in the pub on Argent Street.

A number of panes of glass were broken by the throwers who then fled.

Police arrived soon after and returned today to continue their investigations into the incident, which left Mrs Ryley 'shaken'.

The controversy around the decision to remove the dolls and other materials, which have been displayed at the pub for many years continues - with supporters of the pub and its critics who describe the display as racist and offensive clashing on social media.
  • Options
    Essex Police.

Shortly before 0.40am the White Hart Inn, Grays, sustained damage to five windows and graffiti.

District Commander Tony Atkin said:

“We’re conducting high visibility patrols in the area to provide community reassurance to our residents today and for the next few days following criminal damage to the White Hart Inn.

“This continuous police presence will allow the public direct access to officers and to share any information that they might have with the investigative team.

“Enquiries are taking place to establish what happened in the lead up to this incident and to identify those responsible, and includes viewing CCTV footage.

“One line of enquiry is that the criminal damage is linked to a previous incident that we are currently investigating, also linked to the White Hart Inn. We continue to investigate that incident and would ask the public to allow us to do so, remaining calm.

“The force is proud of the work we do to prevent crime, tackle offenders, and to build trust and confidence in all our communities. We will continue to work with our partners, including working with the Independent Advisory Group for Thurrock, to further build our understanding and gain community feedback.

“When any crime is reported to us, we will treat it as such and robustly investigate, without fear or favour.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Maybe the Police can steal the Golly and run away with him.......

https://youtu.be/78_vOtgdBzk
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 525
    Reminds me of a pub in a rough area of Portsmouth (my hometown) that had a sign on the door saying "no blacks, no students". That was about 20 years ago. While I guess the sign has since been removed, I doubt the sentiment has.
  • Options
    Police action led to closure of pub says landlady of White Hart as she closes doors for last time following golly controversy.

https://youtu.be/0B-W_YLcp8k

The landlady of the pub at the centre of a racial row has sent an emotional message to customers as it closed down.

Benice Ryley and her husband Chris have decided, after more than a decade at the White Hart in Grays, to retire and today (Tuesday, 2 May) its doors will remain shut.

The decision to leave and return to their home in Turkey comes a month after police officers visited the pub and confiscated a collection of Golly dolls and other memorabilia.

The act by the police, first reported on Thurrock Nub News, brought the pub to the centre of national attention, making television and national newspaper headlines as the issue of whether or not the display was racist raged.

Locally the Thurrock BME group, which represents black and ethnic minority in the borough made its opinion clear with the following statement: "Racism is a plague that spreads hate, discrimination, and violence towards individuals or communities based on their ethnicity, nationality, skin colour, or cultural background. It is unacceptable and should be eradicated from all aspects of our society.

"Any term, symbol or idol used to insinuate racism is not only morally wrong but also a violation of fundamental human rights. It causes psychological trauma, social isolation, and economic discrimination towards minority communities. Racism must not be tolerated, and those responsible for it must be held accountable for their actions.

"Thurrock BME Group applauds Essex Police for ensuring that it is not perpetrated in any way, shape or form. We will continue to work together to denounce racism and its harmful effects on our society."

No outcome has come from the police, who still continue to hold the dolls and other memorabilia associated with Robertsons Jams, but Benice has reiterated a previous call for their return and says she wants them back as they are her property and she and Chris have broken no rules.

The pub was in party mode for its last day, with regulars reminiscing about past events at the popular venue which has been a community focal point in the town and has acted as host to a number of community groups. It has been a rallying point in the town for supporters of Grays Athletic after they lost their home at the nearby Recreation ground.

Under the stewardship of Chris and Benice the pub has also been an award winner with CAMRA, praised for its hospitality, its food, its bands and its beer – though the organisation's national leaders turned their backs on the venue recently in the wake of the latest controversy. The news from CAMRA came at the same time as windows at the Grade II listed pub were smashed and the building graffitied.

A statement from CAMRA said: "Following discussions with the branch and our volunteer leadership yesterday evening, the White Hart's entry in the Good Beer Guide has been deleted and will not be submitted for forthcoming guides while the pub continues to be operated in a way counter to CAMRA's values and policies."

Benice believes the response of CAMRA is unfair and disproportionate and is not one supported locally by CAMRA members who use the pub.

Running the pub has not been without its financial difficulties. In 2020 the company run by Benice and Chris, India Inns, went into liquidation though the management of the pub has continued under that trade name.

The future of what will happen to the property is undetermined though local people have speculated it may be converted for residential purposes.

In her interview Benice talks about her and Chris's time at the pub and how the couple will miss the friendship of its regulars and the wider Grays community.

She looks back on the couple's time at the Grade II listed pub that was built in 1938 for Charringtons Brewery, and replaced an 18th-century building of the same name pub as a happy one and says she has many positive memories, but they have been soured by the actions of the police which she regards as 'over the top' and she continues to stress that the display broke no rules or licencing legislation.

She says critics have ruined her life becasue of the stigma following the police raid, adding: "I am gutted what CAMRA has done to us. Many people from CAMRA, not just local people, have been in here and they have never said anything about the collection

"The one up top who has never set foot in the pub, made a decision and it is disgusting,"

And she went on to say that in the wake of the latest publicity, running the pub became increasingly difficult.

Benice sad: "Carlsberg and Heineken has told us to stop selling their product. Innserve, who clean our lines etc are not going to come into out pub anymore.

"I've have enough now. I'm angry, annoyed and upset, if the police had left it alone we wouldn't have been in this situation and we would have plodded along. But the police have ruined it.

"I'm going to miss the pub and miss the people, We have had so many laughs and so many happy times. We've always had a good pub. It's hurtful and I know many of my customers have cried today, I have been crying. It hurts, I've had 17 years of my life here. To close these doors tonight will break my heart."

Chris is due to be interviewed by Essex Police later this month.

A statement from the force said: "A spokesman for Essex Police said: "We are investigating an allegation of hate crime reported to us on 24 February.

"Essex Police have discussed the progression of this case with the Crown Prosecution Service.

"On Tuesday, 4 April, officers attended a location off Argent Street, Grays, and seized several items in connection with that investigation.

"The force is proud of the work we do prevent crime, tackle offenders and build trust and confidence in all communities."

https://youtu.be/1NF3KRFKeCg
  • Options
    Norfolk brewer changes White Face beer name to avoid offence.

A brewery has decided to change the name of an award-winning beer to avoid any discriminatory connotations.

White Face beer, brewed by Moon Gazer ales in Hindrigham, Norfolk, will now be labelled Cheeky Jack.

The firm said it named all of its ales after links to hares and White Face came from a centuries old poem called the Names of the Hare.

But owner David Halliday said they decided to drop the title after some people were uncomfortable with it.

"We have become aware that the name White Face just wasn't sitting entirely comfortably with some people, especially with those who are not familiar with our wider links to hares," he said.

"Some people did not know the connection to the hare name and the white mountain hare and sadly, in some cases, giving rise to the feeling that there was an undercurrent of racism.

"This is, of course, a complete misunderstanding but the fact that it created that impression was of genuine concern to us. There was never any intention to offend anyone."

Mr Halliday said he had received a few calls from pub landlords who said some customers complained about the name, but it was a recent comment at a local charity event that prompted the change.

He and his wife overheard a "rufty-tufty middle-aged man" praise their beer but then add the "name's a bit racist though".

He said they decided to go through the expense of changing the beer's name rather than risk offending anyone else.

Mr Halliday said he was conscious of being accused of being oversensitive or overreacting, but countered that beer should do one simple thing - bring pleasure.

The new name for the American style IPA is a play on the stateside name for a hare where they are known as jack rabbits.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-65533714
  • Options
    Were they feeling " Red Faced " Mm! my home is " South Faced " Hic!