You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The great man hangs up his mic tomorrow

stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
Only a few of us on here would have heard Nigel Johnson on Radio Stoke he's been a part of my life since i was a child
Legend, Happy retirement Nige...Heads go up ..Lip of the centre cirtle
https://youtu.be/UMzNQ7wtUBU

Comments

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,528
    Been listening to his memoirs all week on Radio Stoke. 1st game at home in Prem. Our 1992 'Cup' Final at Wembley . Our promotion to the Prem. All great stuff. Hopefully we get them all again soon.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,401

Stoke has a Radio station? Good grief.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,002
    edited April 2023
    Tikay10 said:

Stoke has a Radio station? Good grief.

And a football team?

When I met Phil Taylor years ago, he seemed to mention there was a team in Stoke. Thought they were called "Port Vale" :)
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,167
    Nige had little quirks that wound me up over the last 50 years or so.

When describing a teams strip he always said stockings and not socks.

His propensity to use a teams nickname instead of the real name.

"Heads go up". No, players go up Nigel.

"He brings in xxxx" instead of "He passes it to xxxx".

His ability to commentate for 20 minutes or so without reference to the scoreline. A total ball ache when you get out of Asda at 8.00 and tune in to a 7.45 kick off away in the Europa League.

Little things that made him unique and a part of every Stokies life.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    edited May 2023
    He's an institution for Stoke Mark and made some stunning mistakes in his latter years but you have to forgive him due to his age
    Will Smallpiece passes to Jason Brown who falls over the ball was a great Nigeism
    My favourite was the Cardiff in the playoff semi with a minute to go and the Cardiff announcer telling their fans to keep off the pitch up pops Jimmy Oconner to smash one in and Nige in all his glory "Stoke have scored oh Stoke have scored" still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up
    https://youtu.be/HzWfVlbeIkU