You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Police chasing erratic van through busy town find four-year-old boy at the wheel

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,371
Police chasing erratic van through busy town find four-year-old boy at the wheel - who said 'My dad lets me help with the driving all the time'

The youngster was steering the vehicle through Darlington, County Durham and tooting on the horn while his father Patrick Kearney operated the pedals, Teesside Crown Court was told.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12178245/Police-chasing-van-Darlington-four-year-old-boy-wheel.html

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,371
    Police chased a van being driven erratically only to discover the driver was a four-year-old boy.

The youngster was steering the vehicle and tooting on the horn while his father Patrick Kearney operated the pedals, Teesside Crown Court was told.

Officers set off in pursuit with flashing blue lights after receiving reports from other drivers that the van was repeatedly swerving as it drove through Darlington, County Durham.

Kearney, 41, was believed to be under the influence of drugs and alcohol at the time of the incident.

The court heard how the boy carried on driving despite being followed by police.

When the van stopped Kearney was seen to dash to a house with the youngster in his arms and hand the boy to another man.

Police arrested the father who behaved in an offensive and aggressive manner, the court heard.

However, prosecutor Nigel Soppitt said the boy told officers 'my dad let's me help with the driving all the time.'

At the age of four the boy is below the age of criminal responsibility, which means he cannot be prosecuted in the courts as he is deemed too young to be responsible for his actions.

Mr Soppitt said the extraordinary chase happened on 13 April at around 6pm.

'It was a fairly prolonged incident with a child at the wheel of a car,' he said.

Kearney, of Darlington, admitted child cruelty, dangerous driving, refusing to give a specimen of breath, driving whilst disqualified, driving without insurance and using offensive words and behaviour.

He was jailed for 16 months.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12178245/Police-chasing-van-Darlington-four-year-old-boy-wheel.html
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,371
    He obviously hasnt passed his driving test.