You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Hellmuth - the chuntering enigma.

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,171

17 WSOP bracelets, incredible. And I really want to admire someone who is clearly so successful.

But I just can't get myself to admire anyone who can't take a poker beat like a grown-up, & who regularly insults opponents who beat him. I often wonder if he's an only child, or perhaps on the spectrum.

He was at it again last night, in a perfectly standard spot. Chunter chunter chunter.

Does he not realise what a fool he makes of himself?

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2023
    If you are not offended by crass language, scroll down a few of the replies.

• Options

And here's the thing, his opponent was a pure recreational, a fella donating $10,000 annually in the WSOP Main. These are the guys he should be protecting, not insulting. They are his income.

Why would anyone ever insult a player of lesser ability? It's bonkers.
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,785
    He knows acting like that gets him air time, keeps him relevant, just like celebrities who tip off paparazzi, so they get their picture in the paper……it’s all show business imo.
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    The transcript by 'rabbit' haha

This really NEEDS Norman Chad commentary
  • Options
    NoseyBonk said:

The transcript by 'rabbit' haha

This really NEEDS Norman Chad commentary

Ha, yes, Norman would give him some proper stick, & quite right too.
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 525
    Another hand played badly by Hellmuth.
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 525
    https://www.wsop.com/tournaments/chipcounts/?aid=2&grid=5219&tid=21741&dayof=217415&rr=-1

Good to see Blom back in the action. Antonius, Polk, Chidwick and Duthie are the names i recognise as doing well so far.
  • Options
    Bean81 said:

https://www.wsop.com/tournaments/chipcounts/?aid=2&grid=5219&tid=21741&dayof=217415&rr=-1

Good to see Blom back in the action. Antonius, Polk, Chidwick and Duthie are the names i recognise as doing well so far.

Wow @ Chris Brammer. Andy Hulme too. Go them, boys.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,282
    'Hey Honey he hit an 8 on the turn!' would have been funnier.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,651
    He'd be more respected if he was more respectful , he doesn't help himself
  • Options
    stokefc said:

He'd be more respected if he was more respectful , he doesn't help himself

@stokefc

THIS.

Maybe it's an age thing, but I think respect for others is so important. Treat others as we'd like to be treated by them. Going through life deliberately making enemies makes for a long & bumpy trek.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,282
    Tikay10 said:

Bean81 said:

Sergio Aguero in 186th?!
  • Options
    Enut said:

Tikay10 said:

Bean81 said:

Sergio Aguero in 186th?!

Agggggggggggggggggguuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooo
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479
    I’m always perplexed as to why he very rarely gets anything back.
    I doubt i would just sit there and accept that.
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited July 2023
    Jac35 said:

I’m always perplexed as to why he very rarely gets anything back.
    I doubt i would just sit there and accept that.

I love this old one (we've probably all seen) when he starts moaning at the dealer after his main rant.

Dealer does a classy reply haha. Phil's reading ability didn't detect the change of dealer :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYK6U_T1A70
  • Options

He called a raise with QUEEN TEN honey.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    Tikay10 said:

17 WSOP bracelets, incredible. And I really want to admire someone who is clearly so successful.

But I just can't get myself to admire anyone who can't take a poker beat like a grown-up, & who regularly insults opponents who beat him. I often wonder if he's an only child, or perhaps on the spectrum.

He was at it again last night, in a perfectly standard spot. Chunter chunter chunter.

Does he not realise what a fool he makes of himself?

I’m sure he fist pumps his call when he sees the first 8 get turned over haha. Not a lot worse than entitled chuntering at the table.

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,261
    I don't have a lot of respect for people like Helmuth. Some might call it entertaining but tbh it's boorish behaviour and how he gets away with it is beyond me. It would be entertaining if someone just stood up and told him to STFU, although he'd probably call the floor and play the victim.

Just thought of my ideal table for abuse and suchlike.

1, Helmuth 2, Matusow 3, Kassouf 4, Tony G 5, Andy Black 6, Polk 7, Mad Marty (rip) 8, Laak 9, Ulliot (rip).

There'd be blood and feathers everywhere.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,492
    Phil Hellmuth Plays Huge Pot on Day 1 of 2023 World Series of Poker Main Event!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br8L3bdtscU
  • Options
    bencbenc Member Posts: 1,054
    I think one thing Hellmuth is an expert at is being aware of how his behaviour and demeanour is being percieved and adapted to by the other players at the table and then adjusting his own strategy to combat the adjustments they are making and have wondered if that is a motivating factor in his outbursts as you'd think after so many years he'd be desensitised to bad beats and have solid emotional control. I think that awareness maybe also gives him a huge edge against recreationals and imo explains alot of the plays that are seen as weird or bad if you consider from a purely theoretical aspect but are very good in a vacuum of that one hand taking into account the context built up. I think this would also explain why he isn't as succesful online or in cash games or situations vs the top players who will have a solid theoretically balanced strategy they wont hugely deviate from against him like recreationals will do because he is tilting them or having a significant effect on them with speech play etc. I find it interesting he is still able to win in big field tournaments with an unorthodox style despite generally being seen as a 'bad' player by the poker community that has become more very heavily influenced by gto as a complete judgement on whether a play is good or not. As others mentioned it also keeps him relevant and as a savvy businessman that probably is also a motivating factor in playing up to his image. As far as im aware he is a very friendly approachable person off the tables and respectful etc which would suggest he does have self awareness in regards to how to treat people, doesn't excuse his behaviour on the tables but maybe offers an explanation as to the reasons behind it.