You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

MH370 co-pilot 'only person left alive and flew ghost plane on his own for hours'

2»

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,239
    Oh dear another "Expert" probably bringing a book out. Ok, lets pick it apart.

Mystery still surrounds the final fate of the deadly flight which disappeared on route from Malaysia to China in 2014 with 239 passengers and crew on board. Now writer Christine Negroni has suggested that the tragic jet's demise may have been caused by a sudden depressurising of the cabin killing everybody on board.

If the depressurising in the cabin was that sudden as to immediately kill all on board then it's probably going to cause the plane to break up as really only violent decompression would cause that but let's move on.

She believes the Boeing 777's captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah may have been on a break at the time with co-pilot Fariq Abdul Hamid at the controls. The sudden lack of oxygen would have killed all passengers and crew within 15 minutes, however, Hamid was insulated from its worst effects in the cockpit.

Since 9/11 most major carriers have a rule mandating 2 crew members in the cockpit at all times. As a responsible major airline Malaysian would almost certainly have this as part of S.O.Ps. Also upon cabin depressurisation flight crews are trained to immediately begin an emergency descent to 12 - 15,00 feet where it's then breathable and this is done inside 5 minutes whilst the oxygen supplied by the overhead generators is sill available. The usual run time for these are 12 - 15 minutes. The flight crew have oxygen provided from a dedicated system which normally has 2 to 3 hours of air. Oh and being in the cockpit makes no difference to the effects.

But Negroni theorises, while not dead, the co-pilot's oxygen starved brain led him to make a series of bizarre choices while attempting a rescue mission. Eventually, he would have been unable to stop the final descent into the sea, which investigators believe is somewhere in the Indian Ocean

Nah, see the above, with the oxygen available the crew could have expedited any one of a number of procedures to return or to land elsewhere. Next.

The author of The Crash Detectives: Investigating the World's Most Mysterious Air Disasters', told the Daily Star : "The plane starts heading south. Whatever that time period is, that's the period of time I believe he went unconscious. The oxygen available for the passengers was about 15 minutes, so the passengers were all dead, there's no chance they were resuscitated, they were dead long before that plane hit the water."

Negorni believes the cabin depressurised 38 minutes into the flight when it lost contact due to an electrical failure. She added: "Nothing that this pilot did, after the plane experienced its issues, made sense. To me when a pilot does something that doesn't make sense, it is a very strong clue that the pilot is not sensible. And what makes a pilot insensible is hypoxia, not just once but repeatedly.

Ok she has written a book. However, she contradicts her claim of everyone dying instantly by saying that the oxygen for the passengers was 15 minutes, which is true, but fails to mention the oxygen for the pilots. She then goes on about an electrical failure as a cause.
    Boeing 777s have multiple redundancies, back up generators, an APU and even a small wind turbine which deploys from the underside of the plane and provides minimal electrical power for essential functions.
    If nothing the pilot did makes sense then I would be looking at who was actually at the controls at the time.
    One final observation, hypoxia is not a state that you drift in and out of. You suffer with it, it gets worse, unless you immediately take on oxygen, and you die.
    Would she have us believe that a hypoxic person could fly for hours in that state however erratically.

I'm sorry but given what we know about the 777 and the way that the majors train their crews, a non catastrophic event 38 minutes into a flight would have resulted in the safe return of the aircraft. I believe in probability and evidence and I'm sorry but your theory as presented in this article doesn't hold up very well and if that's her level of expertise than I'll pass on the book as well.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,535
    So my Alien abduction goes out the window as I'm not a Expert.... hic!