You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Climate Quiz - How much do you think you know?

Comments

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,483
    This quiz is BS.

Written by climate change deniers who didn't go to school

Look at the idiotic logic in question 2.

• Options
    somniatissomniatis Member Posts: 219
    @ Mumsie -

"Written by climate change deniers who didn't go to school"

That's logical fallacy #1

"Look at the idiotic logic in question 2."

That's logical fallacy #2

I guess you'll be wanting to correct some of these "climate denying" fools too?

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/110645/why-does-ice-melting-not-change-the-water-level-in-a-container

I guess you failed the quiz then?
  • Options
    “97% Consensus” — What Consensus?

You have likely heard that 97% of scientists agree on human-driven climate change. You may also have heard that those who don’t buy into the climate-apocalypse mantra are science-deniers. The truth is that a whole lot more than 3% of scientists are skeptical of the party line on climate. A whole lot more.

The many scientists, engineers and energy experts that comprise the CO2 Coalition are often asked something along the lines of: “So you believe in climate change, then?” Our answer? “Yes, of course we do: it has been happening for hundreds of millions of years.” It is important to ask the right questions. The question is not, “Is climate change happening?” The real question of serious importance is, “Is climate change now driven primarily by human actions? That question should be followed up by “is our changing climate beneficial or harmful to ecosystems and humanity?”

More here. https://co2coalition.org/media/97-consensus-what-consensus-2/

Science is supposed to be questioned that's why it's called "science" and not "religion".
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,483
    Yes, I did fail :)

Thanks for posting , I did enjoy the articles.

• Options
    @mumsie - Very kind of you to say so.

The water displacement thing got me too, I however did some critial thinking and thought "displacment", "Icebergs" and then went forth and educated myself.
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,826
    imo science is based on empirical evidence that is an ongoing process, continually progressing toward the truth, scientific facts at any one time, are the accumulation of the best evidence available to us. This is precisely why it's crucial to follow the science, especially on important matters like climate change, rather than entertaining unfounded comparisons such as equating the sea to water in a glass. It's essential to rely on credible research and general scientific consensus.

One thing you are correct about; ice cubes melting in a glass does not increase water levels. In the real world though, the sea is full of salt, so when sea ice melts, it does contribute slightly to rising sea levels because the ice is freshwater. The more significant concern comes from ice that rests on landmasses. Most of Antarctica and Greenland have ice sheets that are not in the sea. If that ice were to melt, it would indeed lead to a considerable rise in sea levels. To illustrate, imagine placing an ice cube above a glass, perhaps on an absinthe spoon, and allowing it to melt into the glass; your water level will rise.

While there may be differing views among scientists, the overwhelming consensus is that human activities are a significant driver of current climate change, remember there was scientists backing tobacco giants, money and funding talks, thats why we should always follow the majority when it comes to science.