You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Former Tory defence secretary joins Johnny Mercer's attack on Labour candidate's military service

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 34,570
edited June 24 in The Rail
Nick Adderley: Police chief accused of wearing Falklands medal despite being 15 at time is suspended

According to the Sun, a press release issued by the Northamptonshire force in July also made mention of him serving in the Falklands during his 10-year career in the Royal Navy, but it has since been deleted.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/police-chief-investigated-over-wearing-092558399.html

Comments

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,466
    What an appalling human being.

He is perfectly entitled to wear his relatives medals. But they should be worn on the right side, instead of the left, to show that they are being worn in honour of someone else.

Not everyone knows that. But anyone who has served their country does.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 34,570
    Essexphil said:

What an appalling human being.

He is perfectly entitled to wear his relatives medals. But they should be worn on the right side, instead of the left, to show that they are being worn in honour of someone else.

Not everyone knows that. But anyone who has served their country does.

I cant understand why anyone would wish to wear someone elses medals, unless it was to mislead his colleagues, and members of the general public.
    Someone in his position should know better.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,564
    My Paternal grandfather always attended the El Alamein Reunion. After his death I attended some but always wore his medals to the right.

Stolen Valour is abhorrent and people who practice it are pathetic.
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,394
    Surely a simple solution would be to demote him to the rank of constable and send him to serve out the rest of his career in the Falklands? Whilst making sure that the residents and service personnel know of his stolen valour past, obviously.
    'Walter Mitty' police chief is accused of being a 'complete fraud' as new photo 'contradicts his excuse for wearing Falklands War medal despite being 15 at the time of conflict' and fresh questions are raised about his career in the armed forces

Northamptonshire Chief Constable Nick Adderley, 57, who was once tipped for a top job at the Met, is now being investigated by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC). The police chief has been previously described in press releases and an interview with online police magazine Police Oracle as a Falklands veteran with ten years of experience in the Navy. But after it was pointed out he was 15 at the time and being accused of 'misleading' the public, Chief Constable Adderley said he was given the South Atlantic Medal by his older brother (right) when he emigrated to Australia. The 'stolen valour' allegations show no sign of abating, however, fresh photos now purport to show Adderley's brother Rick wearing the medal while in Australia in 2020, seven years after Adderley claims it was given to him.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12604237/Walter-Mitty-police-chief-fraud-excuse-Falklands-War-medal-conflict-armed-forces.html
    edited October 2023

Chief Constable Nick Adderley, 57, has been previously described in press releases and an interview with online police magazine Police Oracle as a Falklands veteran

A photo from 2020 appears to show brother Rick wearing his Falklands medal - despite Adderley claiming he was given it in 2013

The Chief Constable is seen wearing the South Atlantic Medal at an official police event

Adderley has worn the medal to multiple events over the years since his brother's emigration

Adderley pictured at the funeral for PC Nicola Hughes in October 2012

Constable Adderley pinned the 1982 campaign medal to his chest – despite not joining the Royal Navy until two years later

The married father of two, 57, (left) is now being investigated by the police watchdog for wearing the medals at various events

British soldiers during the Falklands Conflict in June 1982, at which time Nick Adderley would have been 15

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12604237/Walter-Mitty-police-chief-fraud-excuse-Falklands-War-medal-conflict-armed-forces.html
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,564
    Sit him in a room with some real veterans and let him explain himself to them.
    'Walter Mitty' police chief accused of 'stolen valour' for wearing Falklands War medal is seen in his Royal Navy intake photo - taken two years after the conflict ended

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12616975/Walter-Mitty-police-officer-accused-fraud-Falklands-War-meda-Royal-Navy-intake-photo.html
    Nick Adderley: Police chief accused of wearing Falklands medal despite being 15 at time is suspended

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/nick-adderley-police-chief-accused-170600527.html
    Nick Adderley: Suspended chief constable's Falklands War medal 'appears to be false'

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/suspended-chief-constables-falklands-war-103200500.html
    Suspended police chief's war medal '110 per cent' a copy, misconduct panel told

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/suspended-police-chiefs-war-medal-115100922.html
    I detest the way Police Disciplinary proceedings play out. For 2 reasons.

1. If anyone other than a Policeman is facing disciplinary proceedings, it is done while preserving the employee's privacy. Because-in examples such as this-the employee is innocent until proved otherwise

2. They take far too long. This man should have been summarily dismissed. A long time before now. Not because he "accidentally" wore medals on the wrong side. Because he did it deliberately. For years. Because he told a whole host of lies about his achievements. For years. About his education. His military service. His experience.

No other employer would act this poorly. And this slowly.
    Essexphil said:

1. If anyone other than a Policeman is facing disciplinary proceedings, it is done while preserving the employee's privacy. Because-in examples such as this-the employee is innocent until proved otherwise

2. They take far too long. This man should have been summarily dismissed. A long time before now. Not because he "accidentally" wore medals on the wrong side. Because he did it deliberately. For years. Because he told a whole host of lies about his achievements. For years. About his education. His military service. His experience.

Private companies rarely put employees on fully paid gardening leave for years.
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Tell me about it.

I swear some govt/local govt depts think manana is Spanish for "hasty".

And as for the long-term sick? Private companies want some evidence as to when a long term sick employee might be able to return to work, in what capacity, when a phased return might be possible etc after months.

Whereas I have dealt with cases where it has been 4 or 5 years before a State Employer even starts to ask questions. And the employees are outraged if you mention the mere possibility of a Capability Dismissal.

Poor lambs
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Tell me about it.

And as for the long-term sick? Private companies want some evidence as to when a long term sick employee might be able to return to work, in what capacity, when a phased return might be possible etc after months.

Whereas I have dealt with cases where it has been 4 or 5 years before a State Employer even starts to ask questions. And the employees are outraged if you mention the mere possibility of a Capability Dismissal.

Poor lambs
    Misconduct panel ‘must recuse itself’, suspended chief constable’s lawyer says

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/misconduct-panel-must-recuse-itself-suspended-chief-constable-s-lawyer-says/ar-BB1noxpI?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=17d490ba288e4ba6a0d585851d5d5cca&ei=66#fullscreen
    edited June 1
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Tell me about it.

Poor lambs
    Misconduct panel ‘must recuse itself’, suspended chief constable’s lawyer says

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/misconduct-panel-must-recuse-itself-suspended-chief-constable-s-lawyer-says/ar-BB1noxpI?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=17d490ba288e4ba6a0d585851d5d5cca&ei=66#fullscreen
    Far be it from me to suggest that any Barrister would be focusing on technical (although legally important) issues like apparent Bias or recusal only if they felt unable to challenge the facts. That would be unfair of me ;)

Some members of the public think this is unfair? Maybe. Like, for example, I am quite open on my distaste for all this sort of stuff being played out in Public. It is unfair.

But then again some people think it unfair that, many months after being suspended in relation to allegations that, if proved, show gross misconduct, that he is still employed. And that the sort of man who lies about his military service and deliberately wears medals on the wrong side should not be in a position of authority.

People like me.
    Let's just hope that they get this right and dismiss him, hopefully with the loss of his pension rights, which would save the taxpayer a tidy sum.
    Enut said:

Let's just hope that they get this right and dismiss him, hopefully with the loss of his pension rights, which would save the taxpayer a tidy sum.

I am not a fan of policemen losing their Pension rights. Any other employee gets summarily dismissed-not summarily dismissed plus a £3 million fine. In relation to a Pension that he has paid money into.

What I would like to see is this. That certain policemen be given 2 options:-

1. Sign this form saying you keep your Pension and, in return, you cannot take this to a Tribunal or Court; or
    2. We take your Pension
    OK, I appreciate that loss of all pension benefits may be too harsh. Maybe just disqualify him from pension accrual for the years where he was lying and then subtract the salary he's been paid whilst he's been suspended.
    Enut said:

OK, I appreciate that loss of all pension benefits may be too harsh. Maybe just disqualify him from pension accrual for the years where he was lying and then subtract the salary he's been paid whilst he's been suspended.

My version saves the £2million in public money on the Court case ;)