You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Bodies found with ‘hands tied’ in mass graves in Gaza

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,125
edited April 24 in The Rail

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,179
    Ok. Rishi shut your mouth and think before you speak. Hamas have committed a brutal atrocity and should without doubt be brought to book militarily.

However, before rushing to aid Israel think on a moment. Would you clamour to aid Russia if the Ukraine invaded and caused this type of barbarity.

Because just like Russia in the Ukraine, Israel is an occupying force in another Country.

Pot / Kettle.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    It's a tale of two peoples only the innocents get slaughtered
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,602

Ok. Rishi shut your mouth and think before you speak. Hamas have committed a brutal atrocity and should without doubt be brought to book militarily.

However, before rushing to aid Israel think on a moment. Would you clamour to aid Russia if the Ukraine invaded and caused this type of barbarity.

Because just like Russia in the Ukraine, Israel is an occupying force in another Country.

Pot / Kettle.

Ok I find that highly disagreeable I will respond properly tomorrow I have other priorities tonight stuff has come up in the land of doubleme.

However wanted to clarify exactly what you mean here are you saying the very existence of Israel is occupying land?
    or are you saying they should go back to the 1967 borders?

or by occupying land do you mean something else more related to modern times?

I just want to make sure I have down exactly what you mean by that rhetoric before I write up my response tomorrow.

also @Tikay10 and @HAYSIE should we change the name of this to Israel/Palestine war?

because I almost missed this and made a thread on this topic and no need to double up threads and I am sure there are others who would have skipped over this thread when they may have had comments on the conflict. This conflict is likely to go on for some time I think.

• Options
    What do you fail to understand ?

Israel occupies land that it has taken through force and the indigenous people there live in subjugation whilst more settlers supported and backed by the Israeli military take yet more land.

Locals have been displaced and lost homes, many thousands killed over the years for simply defending their houses.

Israels presence in Palestine is akin to that of Russia in Ukraine.

Yes it should go back to the '67 borders.

There, point explained.

• Options
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,473

This is just ghastly.

Thoughts with all those who are suffering.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,277
    Tikay10 said:

This is just ghastly.

Religion has a lot to answer for doesn't it?
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,473
    Enut said:

Tikay10 said:

This is just ghastly.

@Enut

Seems to be the case, yes.
  • Options
    Enut said:

Tikay10 said:

This is just ghastly.

Do you think this has anything to do with religion?
  • Options
    The conflicts in Israel are caused by several issues, including1:
    Mutual recognition
    Borders
    Security
    Water rights
    Control of Jerusalem
    Israeli settlements
    Freedom of movement, especially for Palestinians
    Right of Palestinians to return to their ancestral land
  • Options
    A brief history of the Israel-Palestinian conflict - explained
    Tensions raging since Middle Eastern state’s founding in May 1948 date back much further

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-palestine-conflict-summary-explained-history-b2426939.html
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    The conflict between Israel and Palestine stems from a deeply unsettled past - how did we get here?

A history of conflict

Home to over 2 million people, the Gaza strip and the West Bank are known as Palestinian territory.

The two areas, along with the rest of Israel, are what Palestinians have defined as Palestine for 2,000 years.

But the Jewish claim also spans back that far, when they were exiled from what they would define as their ancestral homeland.

In 1948, in the wake of the Holocaust, the state of Israel was declared - which received widespread Western support.

But Hamas and other Palestinian groups believed the territory to be stolen from Palestinians, leading to several wars over the following decades.

Israel eventually occupied the West Bank and Gaza - illegally, according to the United Nations.

Palestinians reacted to the Israeli control with two uprisings which included suicide attacks and bombings, killing hundreds.

Israeli soldiers were also accused of human rights abuse in the ongoing occupations.

In 1993, the Oslo Accords - aimed at achieving peace in the region - offered a glimmer of hope under a two-state agreement, but the fighting continued.

By 2005, Hamas had taken control over Gaza and Israeli troops were pulling out of the region.

Already this year, a spate of violence has been recorded across the border with a total 758 attacks on Palestinians by Israeli settlers, according to the UN.

The beginning of 2023 was also marked by the killing of seven Israelis at a Synagogue at the hands of a Palestinian gunman in East Jerusalem, West Bank.

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-10-09/what-are-the-origins-of-the-violence-between-israel-and-palestine
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,013
    The starting point for me is this.

Muslims killing Jews (particularly civilians) is terrible.

And Jews killing Muslims (particularly civilians) is exactly as terrible. No more, no less.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Anyone got any idea when atheists last went out to systemically murder people because they didn't agree with their religious beliefs?
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    It's sad Tuney ,most wars are caused by religion yet there is no proof , none at all weather the man upstairs exists at all and i mean that with any religion
  • Options
    Off top of my head, Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin, Mao Tse Tung, Kim Jong-Ill, Idi Amin and Radovan Karadzic spring to mind. I'll happily research more if you like.
  • Options
    Hitler was an Austrian Catholic who declared his belief in God and even referred to himself as Christian, Stalin rebelled after his mother sent him to study to become a priest, Pol Pot attended an elite Catholic school and Idi Amin an Islamic school. Whilst I wouldn't argue that any of their crimes were to do with religion, but more attempts at domination at the expense of all others, an early religious education doesn't appear to have helped any of them be more tolerant of others, does it?

The fact that religious people almost always believe in their 'one true God', to the exclusion of all others, irks me, they can't all be right can they? As Ricky Gervais so eloquently puts it, I just don't believe in one more God than you.

In a world with lots of evil people I find it sad that religion gives many of those people a reason to hate and hurt others. You rarely, if ever, find an atheist or agnostic doing that.