You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

well that was fun

DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975
So I got woken up early today which is annoying when I have work today what for? well some Evangelical Christians rang my doorbell to preach.

Just what everyone wants right to be woken up early before work to be blackmailed into following probably the most evil character in all of fiction or be tortured for all eternity.

I told them that if there is a **** I am almost certainly going there not because I committed some very evil horrible act but simply because I could never respect a being that would send others to **** to be tortured for all eternity. That if such a being did exist they would be able to read my mind and see that and therefore would condemn me. I then told them their religion was total irrational nonsense.

They said they couldn't agree more and left, I think they meant with regard to me going to ****, not their imaginary friend being evil or their belief been irrational.

I am sure everyone wants to be woken up 45 minutes before their alarm to hear the same blackmail tripe nonsense they have heard many times before.

I mean like seriously what do they expect? me to go oh my I have never heard this before wow please go on yes I will unquestionably follow this irrational and evil belief without question?

like how often does that actually ever happen?

Comments

• TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,597
    Currently I am playing a "stout halfling" who is in a group comprising a Paladin, an Orc, a Warlock an Elf and 2 Dwarves. We are speaking a mixture of Draconic, Elfish, Dwarfish and Common whilst battling a legion of Ogres who have kidnapped the peace loving cat people of the Byngama Territory.

In essence the current DnD quest I'm involved with makes slightly more sense than your world.

In what way are you blackmailed into following a Character?

If you don't believe, then there's no blackmail because any penalty for not believing or following cannot exist can it.

If it's a matter of free will how are you forced into something.

Like everything else in Life YOU have the choice YOU make the decisions and YOU bear any and all consequences.

If you believe in a h3ll which you seem to do, then conversely there has to be the reverse of that. Again it's entirely your choice.

You can choose to believe or not, you can choose how to view deities or not, you can choose whether to be, good, evil, neutral, chaotic, calm or a mixture. you can choose whether to be a warmonger or a peacemaker or you can go along with a total indifference.

But to make a claim that some imagined," fictional" (your words) power has the authority to blackmail you is like saying that my DnD character can cast magic and make you act against your will.

Brother that's some delusional guano right there. Get help.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975

Currently I am playing a "stout halfling" who is in a group comprising a Paladin, an Orc, a Warlock an Elf and 2 Dwarves. We are speaking a mixture of Draconic, Elfish, Dwarfish and Common whilst battling a legion of Ogres who have kidnapped the peace loving cat people of the Byngama Territory.

In essence the current DnD quest I'm involved with makes slightly more sense than your world.

In what way are you blackmailed into following a Character?

If you don't believe, then there's no blackmail because any penalty for not believing or following cannot exist can it.

If it's a matter of free will how are you forced into something.

Like everything else in Life YOU have the choice YOU make the decisions and YOU bear any and all consequences.

If you believe in a h3ll which you seem to do, then conversely there has to be the reverse of that. Again it's entirely your choice.

You can choose to believe or not, you can choose how to view deities or not, you can choose whether to be, good, evil, neutral, chaotic, calm or a mixture. you can choose whether to be a warmonger or a peacemaker or you can go along with a total indifference.

But to make a claim that some imagined," fictional" (your words) power has the authority to blackmail you is like saying that my DnD character can cast magic and make you act against your will.

Brother that's some delusional guano right there. Get help.

Ok lets go with a hypothetical to illustrate the misunderstanding here to be clear this a hypothetical.

"suppose I say that my friend Bob demands £500 from you, and that you need to hand me the money to give to him otherwise Bob will come and break your legs."

now you may suggest that Bob does not exist (he doesnt I made him up to illustrate this point) you are been blackmailed/threatened to hand over £500 in this fictional scenario.

Now when you say you are been blackmailed/threatened and claim Bob does not exist I could then claim that it is your choice to believe Bob exists and has made this threat but if he does not exist then how can he blackmail you? See?

I am not claiming that God is blackmailing me, I am claiming that people who claim god exists/ the religion is. I have never to my knowledge had a conversation with god, If I had to my knowledge had a conversation with God then I would believe God exists.

This sums up things up really well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy525-QwBUE
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,269
    edited November 2023
    @Doubleme

Haven't you ever been on the Great White Telephone David ?

groaning OH GOD ! .......OH MY GOD !

:(:s:# ...... :D
    MISTY4ME said:

@Doubleme

Haven't you ever been on the Great White Telephone David ?

groaning OH GOD ! .......OH MY GOD !

:(:s:# ...... :D
    im guessing thats a reference to this song?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTUUR-_1NB8

I dont know life is slipping by what I thought I would never have but always wanted I have what I thought was pretty much assured and I would have I do not have and now looks impossible to have. Live can throw odd curve balls huh? all that been said I dont blame a fictional being for anything I dont believe they exist.

If the God of the bible does exist I doubt they would want to help me, they more believe in slavery and their own glory and torturing those that do not believe in them.

the real issue is someone waking me up before the set time on my alarm, when Labour rang the doorbell at least they had the decency to do it at a proper time and had a purpose. Religious wing nuts though no time for. If they hit me up at a time when I am already up and do not have commitments or plans for the day I will spend good time explaining in detail why everything they believe is nonsense.

If someone wanted to ring my doorbell and wake me up early to discuss who would win in a fight between batman and spiderman I would be annoyed at the waking me up for gibberish and unimportant nonsense.

However religion is more insidious then that it is actively poisonous and damaging to human society at large. so to be woken up with that tripe is even worse.
    Have you ever heard of "Marvin" ? I'm sure he is based on your psyche.

No. Well check out the work of Douglas Adams' "the Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy.
    I have another long shift tomorrow and do not have the energy to go into detail on the forums today on this. but we are not done with this more is coming.
    More what. You referred to God as the "most evil fictional character of all time". This means that you cannot have any opinion on whether he sends people to eternal damnation because by your own rationale he is a work of fiction ergo He is not real therefore He cannot possibly sentence people to eternal torture.

Therefore His followers have nothing to blackmail you with so what exactly are you banging on about, apart from being woken up by people wanting to share the "Good News".

A polite "Thank you but I'm not interested" is all it takes. No need to go off like The Dark Lord is recruiting for the Empire

Oh and in the example you set. You get a good hiding and I make sure you tell Bob to come and see me himself. Then guess what Bob gets ?

I'll give you a clue, it aint a monkey (£500)