You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

New Specs.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,214
edited November 2023 in The Rail

https://www.selectspecs.com/?msclkid=661f27a315701715c75942ee1e4c8567

My wife forced me into going for an eye test the other day.
We both went to a well known retailer.
When I got there, they informed me that I hadnt been there since 2016.
This was remiss of me as I have type 2 diabetes, and should have regular eye tests.
Anyway, I took the test, and although the specs that I have were adequate, I decided that it was time for a new pair, or two.
I think this retailer has had a 2 for 1 offer on, since I started going there, around twenty years ago.
There was a time when I had an annual test, and bought a pair or two, without thinking.
The 2 for 1 is a silly offer.
Everyone knows that in order to stay in business, any company has to make a profit.
So a 2 for 1 offer necessitates inflating the prices of the first pair of frames, to cover the cost of the second pair, plus a profit margin.
I chose a frame that cost £69.50.
So the value of these frames was probably around £20, in order to allow for the free pair, plus a profit.

I spent half my working life coaching sales people, on how to do it well.
So when it is done badly, it really winds me up.
When I was selling double glazing the biggest complaint from potential customers, by far, was that the sales person quoted £15k, and minutes later dropped to £5k.
This is a silly strategy, as even the most naive of people dont fall for it, and it is impossible to justify, yet many double glazing companies still persevere with this tactic.
There is a well known furniture retailer that starts their next sale, the day after this one finishes.

So I am sitting there with the guy, who is going through some measuring, and a bit of rigmarole, after I have chosen a £69.50 pair of frames that is on a 2 for 1 offer.
I need varifocals.
I haven chosen to buy the thin lenses, with a tint.
I was quite relaxed.
At least until he suddenly blurted out, that comes to £784.
I didnt want to spend £800 on two pairs of specs.
So I was already halfway out of my seat when he again blurted out, but I can do them for £533.
Seconds later, when I was standing to leave, he suggested that I just have the one pair for around £350.
Although in my mind, I had already left.
I offered to pay for the eye test, as the last time I had one without buying any glasses, they charged me £30.
He informed me that they are now free, due to my age.

I have seen the specs advertised on the telly for £6 a pair.
I cant get £6 glasses, because of the varifocals etc.
I didnt really want a £6 pair anyway.
I was reluctant to buy them online, as I wondered about the rigmarole that occurs after you have chosen your frames.

Nevertheless I had a look.
I chose selectspecs.
I found them really helpful, as I had some difficulty in forwarding my prescription to them.
I chose some frames that were reduced to £31.50.
With the varifocals, thin lenses, and the tint, the total cost was £141.50.
They arrived today.
They are fine.
I will not be returning to the well known retailer, anytime soon.
I intend to order a spare pair in the next couple of days.
Although they have clearly not improved my poker playing one bit.
Well not yet, but I live in hope.

Comments

• Options

Lenses: Elite Varifocal Lenses

Thin & Light

Grey Photochromic

Total:

£141.50

Delivery:

£0.00

Order Total:

£141.50
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,028
    edited November 2023
    HAYSIE said:

This was remiss of me as I have type 2 diabetes, and should have regular eye tests.
    Anyway, I took the test, and although the specs that I have were adequate, I decided that it was time for a new pair, or two.
    I think this retailer has had a 2 for 1 offer on, since I started going there, around twenty years ago.
    There was a time when I had an annual test, and bought a pair or two, without thinking.
    Everyone knows that in order to stay in business, any company has to make a profit.
    So a 2 for 1 offer necessitates inflating the prices of the first pair of frames, to cover the cost of the second pair, plus a profit margin.
    So the value of these frames was probably around £20, in order to allow for the free pair, plus a profit.

When I was selling double glazing the biggest complaint from potential customers, by far, was that the sales person quoted £15k, and minutes later dropped to £5k.
    This is a silly strategy, as even the most naive of people dont fall for it, and it is impossible to justify, yet many double glazing companies still persevere with this tactic.
    There is a well known furniture retailer that starts their next sale, the day after this one finishes.

So I am sitting there with the guy, who is going through some measuring, and a bit of rigmarole, after I have chosen a £69.50 pair of frames that is on a 2 for 1 offer.
    I need varifocals.
    I was quite relaxed.
    So I was already halfway out of my seat when he again blurted out, but I can do them for £533.
    Seconds later, when I was standing to leave, he suggested that I just have the one pair for around £350.
    I offered to pay for the eye test, as the last time I had one without buying any glasses, they charged me £30.

I was reluctant to buy them online, as I wondered about the rigmarole that occurs after you have chosen your frames.

I chose selectspecs.
    I found them really helpful, as I had some difficulty in forwarding my prescription to them.
    They arrived today.
    They are fine.

Not defending the dodgy sales tactics.

But the names of major opticians are quite interesting, from a sales perspective.

There was a time when Dolland and Aitchison had a stranglehold on the market. And new rivals needed a way to attack that market share. And they did that by choice of name.

First up was Vision Express. Clue is in the name. Focus was on speed and technology.

Then came Specsavers. Focus on price. Not "cheap", but undercut the other 2 by a distance.

Shows the power of a name.

The new entrants tend to have names that look a bit cheap. For a reason...
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I need varifocals.
    I was quite relaxed.

I chose selectspecs.
    They arrived today.
    They are fine.

But the names of major opticians are quite interesting, from a sales perspective.

There was a time when Dolland and Aitchison had a stranglehold on the market. And new rivals needed a way to attack that market share. And they did that by choice of name.

First up was Vision Express. Clue is in the name. Focus was on speed and technology.

Then came Specsavers. Focus on price. Not "cheap", but undercut the other 2 by a distance.

That was the one I went to.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,028
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I need varifocals.
    I was quite relaxed.

I chose selectspecs.
    They arrived today.
    They are fine.

I tend to go there. Now they have successfully undercut the other 2, not so keen on price as they were. I once got a pair of glasses reduced from £350 to £30 ;)

On a lighter note, I also have varifocals. When I was first told that I needed them, I said to the optician-"I'm that old? Shoot me now!"

And the optician mumbled "I've got varifocals. And I'm only 33"...
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I need varifocals.
    I was quite relaxed.

I chose selectspecs.
    They arrived today.
    They are fine.

I tend to go there. Now they have successfully undercut the other 2, not so keen on price as they were. I once got a pair of glasses reduced from £350 to £30 ;)

On a lighter note, I also have varifocals. When I was first told that I needed them, I said to the optician-"I'm that old? Shoot me now!"

And the optician mumbled "I've got varifocals. And I'm only 33"...
    That was a result.
    I will not be darkening their doorstep in future.

Nice that they have a sense of humour while they are robbing you.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,370
    I get my glasses from goggles4u.co.uk ,

Ive had about 7 pairs off them, ranging from £20 to £60 over the last 3-5 years.
  • Options
    mumsie said:

Ive had about 7 pairs off them, ranging from £20 to £60 over the last 3-5 years.

Its the varifocals that bump the price up.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,370
    Ahh, yes, gotcha.
  • Options
    mumsie said:

That seems good value for money, providing they are ok, and dont fall to bits.
    You wont find any that cheap in Specsavers.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I need varifocals.
    I was quite relaxed.

I chose selectspecs.
    They arrived today.
    They are fine.

Assuming I get another pair that are exactly the same as the first pair, that will represent a saving of exactly £250 off Specsavers bottom line, of their 2 for 1 offer.

This firm does £6 pairs which obviously arent available in varifocals.
    They do 2 for 1s, I didnt look at them, because I wanted to try one first.
    They also have some 25% off frames.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,636
    You need to look harder for a better priced glasses Tony :p
  • Options
    stokefc said:

You need to look harder for a better priced glasses Tony :p

Haha.