You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Matheson Pays Price.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,905
edited February 9 in The Rail
Michael Matheson says sons used iPad data to watch football

Health Secretary Michael Matheson has admitted an £11,000 data roaming charge on his iPad was caused by his sons watching football.

The bill was incurred during a family trip to Morocco last year.

The expense was initially picked up by the Scottish Parliament, which was told by Mr Matheson that the iPad was only used for work.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-67437534

Comments

• Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,617
    A Government iPad without a secure password really sounds like a good idea.

If it was password protected how on earth did he let his sons use it to watch football.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,027
    tai-gar said:

If it was password protected how on earth did he let his sons use it to watch football.

@tai-gar

Agree.

As I understand it, the kids did not "use" his i-Pad as such, they "tethered" their own devices to it by using it as a "hotspot".
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    tai-gar said:

There were a couple of articles that preceded the one above.
    A politician telling lies can hardly be described as a new development.

The unanswered questions in Holyrood's £11,000 iPad bill row

The Falkirk East representative then took his on holiday to Morocco last Christmas, and ran up a bill of £10,935.74.

Parliament IT officials accepted his assurances that he had only used the device for work, and agreed to cover the cost from the public purse - £3,000 from his own expense budget, and the rest from Holyrood's.

The story broke after the expense claim was published, and Mr Matheson repeated to reporters that the iPad was only used for work. He was backed by the first minister, who said it was a "legitimate parliamentary expense".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-67417013

Michael Matheson rejects call to hand in iPad over £11k bill

The Scottish health secretary has dismissed a call to hand over his iPad to parliamentary authorities after he racked up an £11,000 data roaming bill.

Michael Matheson spoke for the first time after he agreed to pay for charges incurred on a parliamentary iPad during a holiday to Morocco last year.

Tories said the device should be handed in to check if Mr Matheson used it for constituency work, as he claimed.

The SNP minister said the matter had already been looked into in January.

He told BBC Scotland News it was investigated by a parliamentary IT manager, who had "access to all of the data" associated with the device.

Mr Matheson said the reason the bill was so high was because there was an old sim card in the device.

"It should have been replaced. I have accepted that was my fault," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-67401875

Minister's £11,000 iPad bill is legitimate expense - Humza Yousaf

An £11,000 iPad roaming bill racked up by Scotland's health secretary was a "legitimate parliamentary expense", according to the first minister.

Michael Matheson ran up the charges on his parliamentary iPad during a holiday to Morocco which he says was caused by an "outdated sim card".

He said he was not aware it was due to be replaced and the cost built up as a result.

Humza Yousaf said Mr Matheson should not have to pay it back.

It is understood the health secretary had been using the iPad during a family holiday for constituency work when the charges occurred.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-67370793
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,278
    I lack the knowledge to know how this sort of roaming charge occurs. I also can quite understand why a father of 2 kids will hand over his work i-pad on holiday for a bit of peace and quiet.

The bits I do not understand are these:-

1. Why someone who claims his first duty is as a father, rather than just paying the bill, submits a false expenses claim, and lies to Parliament and the Press/Public about it; and

2. Instead of later paying the bill, and privately paying the Bill and explaining what happened, chooses instead to throw his kids under the bus in Parliament in front of the cameras.

Fraudster. Idiot. Poor decision-making as a father.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    His position in the Scottish Government is surely no longer tenable.

I can see it was originally an accident, & unintended, but sometimes in life you just have to suck it up, pay the bill & move on. That's all he needed to do.

End result as played, a career in ruins.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,685
    Tikay10 said:

His position in the Scottish Government is surely no longer tenable.

I can see it was originally an accident, & unintended, but sometimes in life you just have to suck it up, pay the bill & move on. That's all he needed to do.

End result as played, a career in ruins.

But nooo , because he's in a position of power he thinks he can get away with it
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

I lack the knowledge to know how this sort of roaming charge occurs. I also can quite understand why a father of 2 kids will hand over his work i-pad on holiday for a bit of peace and quiet.

The bits I do not understand are these:-

1. Why someone who claims his first duty is as a father, rather than just paying the bill, submits a false expenses claim, and lies to Parliament and the Press/Public about it; and

2. Instead of later paying the bill, and privately paying the Bill and explaining what happened, chooses instead to throw his kids under the bus in Parliament in front of the cameras.

Fraudster. Idiot. Poor decision-making as a father.

The itemised bill is on the other thread.
    There are two entries for the 2nd January.
    One for the £7,345.
    The other for £1320.
    Wouldnt this alert an honest person that there were two separate devices in use?
  • Options
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Thats the one.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Completely unrelated to the point of the story, but what a rip-off "Roaming Charges" are.

Hard to believe it's possible to run up a bill on a Mobile Phone &/or Ipad for 7 grand in a single day.

Actual cost to the Service Provider? Doubt it comes to more than a fiver.

• Options
    Tikay10 said:

Completely unrelated to the point of the story, but what a rip-off "Roaming Charges" are.

Hard to believe it's possible to run up a bill on a Mobile Phone &/or Ipad for 7 grand in a single day.

Actual cost to the Service Provider? Doubt it comes to more than a fiver.

They are ridiculous, but everybody knows that.
  • Options
    Yousaf has ‘misled the public’ over Matheson’s iPad roaming bill – Sarwar

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/yousaf-misled-public-over-matheson-133746730.html
  • Options
  • Options