You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Is this right or wrong? (MORALLY)

Spike4000Spike4000 Member Posts: 280
Would it be morally okay to have a kid, train them up from say age 10 to be amazing at poker and by the time they're 18 can make a living from it?

Heard someone say it on a twitch stream today and it has kind of got me thinking if its right or wrong?

on the one hand, you are potentially setting that child up to have a great source of income and even become rich one day

on the other hand it might be illegal? is it? technically if they only ever trained and played free games on non gambling sites it would have no issue. Not sure. what do you guys think?

Comments

• DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975
    as for the legality you would have to ask @Essexphil I would guess the way you describe it this would not be so but he would be better placed to advice.

there was parents who brought up their kids to be chess champions and did effectively what you describe but with chess and they were. someone can post that here if they can find it.

most parents want what they believe is right for their children I dont see something morally wrong with that. However it is their children that have to live that live and it is for them to choose. What parents want for their children and believe best for their children may not be what the children want for themselves or what is best for their children.

Everyone has their own prejudices that would impact what they think is best for their children.

I would say what makes it morally right or wrong is how far one goes and whether one allows their children to pick a different path or try different things.

If I had a child and I wanted to train them to be a top professional poker player I would try from a young age to encourage them in maths memory probability and the game of poker to engage them with this but if they showed no interest and constantly reached for the piano or Violin etc I think it would be wrong to obstruct them in that and try to force them down a path I had chosen for their life if that makes sense.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,310

Very very few players (as a % of all players) make enough to earn a decent living.

Train the kid to do something useful which has a long-term future. Opportunities to make a steady income in poker are getting scarcer by the day.
  • Spike4000Spike4000 Member Posts: 280
    yeah,I am definitely NOT planning on doing this BUT i was curious as to if it was legal.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,310

Seems legit to me, as explained. Hard to train them though without exposing them to "real" games, be it Live or Online, & that would deffo be illegal, immoral too.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975
    I think the vast majority of people if trained from a very young age to do something whether that be poker chess sport science math or whatever else would very likely be very skilled at the task by the time they reach adulthood.

I would expect it would be easier to make £50,000 a year from online poker then it would be to say make the same as professional sports player. That been said that is as things are now for multiple reasons making a living from poker gets harder year on year.
    hence this may not be the case by the time the child is old enough to attempt it.

If it remained exactly as hard as it is today to get to making the equivalent of £50000 a year in the future I would expect most kids trained from early childhood to be able to do that. Then again I could say the same thing for training them up as a Lawyer or Doctor and those fields have less threats to the long term viability of the career.