You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Music fans vote on best guitar riff of all time, placing above Prince's Purple Rain in second.

Comments

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,353
    I was listening to 'Beat it' when i clicked this thread..
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,158
    Well music is subjective.

My subjective opinion is that only 3 or 4 of those belong in a greatest riffs top 20. at least 8 wouldn't make my top 50 and 3 wouldn't have made it off the cutting room floor.

• Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,734
    edited November 2023
    nae pink floyd in that list, it can go gtf, my favourite riff is at the end of "sheep" such an underrated track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GE-sfEbJ7I

nae zappa either when i think about it, who made that list haha they need new ears
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    It seems to me and i maybe wrong that whoever compiled that list doesn't know what a riff is , i love Every breath you take but there isn't even a riff in that tune , i always thought a riff was a long portion of guitar in a tune that seems to go on and on that your ears are glued to
    Am i wrong here
  • Options
    U2 maybe not to everyones liking but the riff in this is incredible , once it starts it goes on and on
    https://youtu.be/RlAODXtt20w
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264
    stokefc said:

It seems to me and i maybe wrong that whoever compiled that list doesn't know what a riff is , i love Every breath you take but there isn't even a riff in that tune , i always thought a riff was a long portion of guitar in a tune that seems to go on and on that your ears are glued to
    Am i wrong here

@stokefc

I'd say a guitar riff is a sort of "hook", think of the opening bars of the 'Stones (I can't get no) Satisfaction - that's a riff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrIPxlFzDi0

Same with "Every breath you take"....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOGaugKpzs

• Options
    ^^^^
    Ah i see , if that's the case then they should be on the list , i just thought a riff was more of a technic with more finger playing rather than a few chords , i stand corrected
  • Options
    10 great rock riffs just off the top of my head to show what a real riff is and not featured in the top 20

1, Crazy Train - Ozzy - Riff performed by Randy Rhodes

2, Layla - Derek and the Dominoes - Riff performed by Eric Clapton

3, Raise Your Hands - Bon Jovi - Riff performed by Richie Sambora

4, Light in The Black - Rainbow - Riff performed by Richie Blackmore

5, Enter Sandman - Metallica - Riff performed by Kirk Hammet

6, Sunshine of Your Love - cream - BASS Riff performed by Jack Bruce

7, Down Down - Status Quo - Riff performed by Francis Rossi

8, Paranoid - Black sabbath - Riff performed by Tony Iommi

9, Start me Up - Rolling Stones - Riff performed by Keith Richards

10, phantom of the Opera - Iron Maiden - Riff performed by Dave Murray.

Some people confuse solos with riffs, great solos would include stuff like Dave Gilmour on Pink Floyds Comfortably Numb, Blackmore on Deep Purples Highway Star or Angus Young on Ac/Dc Let There Be Rock.

In fact a greatest 20 rock guitar solos would be a brilliant listen, providing people could agree on the definition of rock, solo or even great.

Whatever as long as your music moves, inspires, comforts and gives pleasure then it's done it's job.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223

10 great rock riffs just off the top of my head to show what a real riff is and not featured in the top 20

1, Crazy Train - Ozzy - Riff performed by Randy Rhodes

2, Layla - Derek and the Dominoes - Riff performed by Eric Clapton

3, Raise Your Hands - Bon Jovi - Riff performed by Richie Sambora

4, Light in The Black - Rainbow - Riff performed by Richie Blackmore

5, Enter Sandman - Metallica - Riff performed by Kirk Hammet

6, Sunshine of Your Love - cream - BASS Riff performed by Jack Bruce

7, Down Down - Status Quo - Riff performed by Francis Rossi

8, Paranoid - Black sabbath - Riff performed by Tony Iommi

9, Start me Up - Rolling Stones - Riff performed by Keith Richards

10, phantom of the Opera - Iron Maiden - Riff performed by Dave Murray.

Some people confuse solos with riffs, great solos would include stuff like Dave Gilmour on Pink Floyds Comfortably Numb, Blackmore on Deep Purples Highway Star or Angus Young on Ac/Dc Let There Be Rock.

In fact a greatest 20 rock guitar solos would be a brilliant listen, providing people could agree on the definition of rock, solo or even great.

Whatever as long as your music moves, inspires, comforts and gives pleasure then it's done it's job.

Watch this the other day, the 5th one is for the Metalheads....

https://youtu.be/zxPWk-F39P8?si=Dmdq1AgBfIXEHcD8
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    @rabdeniro

Great information there, I knew about the Chuck Berry riff but the others were fascinating.

As for Riff number 5, well now I've got to check out all the full length tracks as they sound great. I've seen Budgie and Sabbath play those very songs but never caught the similarity with 2 minutes to midnight.

HERE'S A FUN FACT

T'Pau once sued Enya claiming the keyboard on Orinoco Flow was a direct copy of the keyboard they used on China in your Hand.

I only know that because in the early 90's T'pau and Roxette were 2 of my secret vices. Well actually Carol Decker and Marie Fredriksson to be precise.