You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Portrait of King Charles for public buildings unveiled in £8m scheme

13»

Comments

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520
    It's for official buildings. I'm guessing that is about 5,000.

£20 each? £50? Royalties/expenses to photographer.

I'm struggling to see £800,000. Never mind £8 million
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,310
    Essexphil said:

To be fair, it'll probably have a huge gilt frame, glass front etc, plus it'll not be cheap to deliver something of that shape & size.

Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

To be fair, it'll probably have a huge gilt frame, glass front etc, plus it'll not be cheap to deliver something of that shape & size.

Probably needs a glass front.

Doesn't need a huge gilt frame. If Councils etc want 1, they can pay. Not force us to.
    edited January 16
    Essexphil said:

I think that estimate of 5,000 may be seriously low. The Guardian reports that Oliver Dowden (Cabinet Minister responsible) says the portrait will be available to "local councils, courts, schools, police forces and fire and rescue services will be among the public institutions eligible for a free portrait,"

I doubt it's 100% accurate, but a quick google suggests there are 32,000 Schools, 1,500 Police Stations, & 3,000 Fire Stations in the UK. If accurate, that's 36,500 buildings before we even look at Government Buildings, Hospitals etc. All in all, probably in excess of 50,000 public buildings, at which level the £8 million starts to look reasonable.

I did have a little snigger when Mr Dowden reportedly justified the cost in part by suggesting the whole thing would be "part of plans to celebrate the new reign and bring the nation together". One of us - him or me - is a little out of touch methinks. Maybe both.

• goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,878
    The Monarchy died with the passing of the Queen the only Credible Member.

Title should have skipped tarnished to keep respect by Public.

We pay through Council Tax for things we don't want or need....
    Sponsored by the N.H.S.

Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

I think that estimate of 5,000 may be seriously low. The Guardian reports that Oliver Dowden (Cabinet Minister responsible) says the portrait will be available to "local councils, courts, schools, police forces and fire and rescue services will be among the public institutions eligible for a free portrait,"

I doubt it's 100% accurate, but a quick google suggests there are 32,000 Schools, 1,500 Police Stations, & 3,000 Fire Stations in the UK. If accurate, that's 36,500 buildings before we even look at Government Buildings, Hospitals etc. All in all, probably in excess of 50,000 public buildings, at which level the £8 million starts to look reasonable.

I did have a little snigger when Mr Dowden reportedly justified the cost in part by suggesting the whole thing would be "part of plans to celebrate the new reign and bring the nation together". One of us - him or me - is a little out of touch methinks. Maybe both.

All depends how you count "public buildings".

Schools? At what point do they need a gilt frame? Police stations? Same. Fire stations-ditto, plus public normally has no right of access. All of those need a simple portrait. If they want more, they should pay for it.

Gilt ones? Probably Courts-though there are only a few hundred left. Councils, and some Govt Buildings. That's why I am saying only about 5,000...

Saving taxpayers money brings the country together

@Essexphil

"All depends how you count "public buildings".

Yes, that's very fair comment.

There is also a part of me that thinks this:-

Country "brought together" by poor people paying for thousands of golden photos of multimillionaire who doesn't pay most taxes
    Keep the Monarchy alive. We all want a picture to hang in our house. Oops! OK.

One to hang along side ........ after the Operation .....!

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,047
  • tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,673
    goldon said:

One to hang along side ........ after the Operation .....!

I do wish him all the best.

However, many will say that he is and always has been up his own back passage.
    Now know Why the sad Face.....

He blames having been Prince of Wales" for his leeks.
    Just had the finger up the Crown Jewels.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,047