You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Ally McCoist slams BBC’s ‘crazy’ decision to axe Question of Sport

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,055
edited December 2023 in The Rail

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,055
    Ally McCoist slams BBC’s ‘crazy’ decision to axe Question of Sport

https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/ally-mccoist-slams-bbc-crazy-110048907.html
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520
    They haven't "axed" it. It is on hold. Which has happened before.

It gives the makers the chance to reset. Which (hopefully) means getting rid of Paddy McGuiness (talented man, in the wrong job), and restoring the live audience.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/25095897/question-of-sport-bbc-bizarre-twist/

edited December 2023
    Question of Sport has been shelved, BBC confirms

TV sports quiz show Question of Sport has been shelved after more than 50 years on air, the BBC has confirmed.
    But a BBC spokesman insisted it was "not the final whistle" and the programme could come back in the future.

The first episode of the BBC One programme was broadcast in 1970, presented by David Vine.

Question of Sport was not on screens for two years in the 1970s but has remained in continuous production since 1978.

It was one of the most popular shows in the 1980s when David Coleman was the host - with Princess Anne's appearance as one of the guests in 1987 attracting its highest-ever viewing figures of 19 million.

Former tennis player Sue Barker took over in 1997 and spent 24 years as host, before being replaced by actor Paddy McGuinness in 2021.

The BBC said that "due to inflation and funding challenges, difficult decisions have to be made, therefore Question of Sport is currently not in production at the moment".

It is understood the decision to cease production was connected to falling viewing figures and low audiences on iPlayer.

Audience numbers dropped below one million last year, having regularly hit four to five million under Barker.

"Question of Sport is not going to appear on any other channels," he added. "It is the BBC's intellectual property."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67731546
  • waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,066
    I'm with @Essexphil, the choice of presenter was very questionable. I wasn't a fan of the new team captains either. The show always thrived on both the presenter and captains bouncing off each other and I just never got that feeling with the current lot. It's a shame, but I stopped watching it since Barker and Co were replaced.
    waller02 said:

I'm with @Essexphil, the choice of presenter was very questionable. I wasn't a fan of the new team captains either. The show always thrived on both the presenter and captains bouncing off each other and I just never got that feeling with the current lot. It's a shame, but I stopped watching it since Barker and Co were replaced.

It seems that lots of people did.

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,310

"The BBC said that "due to inflation and funding challenges, difficult decisions have to be made,"

That sounds like Grade One piffle to me. Surely it can't have been an expensive Show to make, unless they were paying silly money to the panellists? A studio-based show once a week is about as cheap as TV gets.

I don't think the BBC need to get all defensive about it. The Show was great back in the day, these days not so much. Times & tastes change, & we have more & better choice these days.

In the bin QoS.
    Tikay10 said:

"The BBC said that "due to inflation and funding challenges, difficult decisions have to be made,"

That sounds like Grade One piffle to me. Surely it can't have been an expensive Show to make, unless they were paying silly money to the panellists? A studio-based show once a week is about as cheap as TV gets.

I don't think the BBC need to get all defensive about it. The Show was great back in the day, these days not so much. Times & tastes change, & we have more & better choice these days.

In the bin QoS.

This bit was probably more to the point.

It is understood the decision to cease production was connected to falling viewing figures and low audiences on iPlayer.

Audience numbers dropped below one million last year, having regularly hit four to five million under Barker.