You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Sky confirms major change as TV and Netflix prices are slashed to a new low

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 33,343
    I find myself getting annoyed with Sky on a regular basis.
    I really wish there was an alternative.
    I have sold Double Glazing, and Timeshare, but none of the companies I have worked for would have treated their customers as Sky do.
    I would describe Sky as very slippery.
    In January/February they increased the price of my monthly contract.
    I accepted thier explanation when I contacted them in March.
    They claimed the difference was due to my contract ending.
    They had introduced new charges over part of a month in January, and the full month in February.
    Thereby increasing my bill over two months, from £48 to £64.

The same thing was about to happen in June/July.
    They introduced charges over a part month in June, and the full month in July.
    These charges relate to HD, and Ultra HD.
    The charges for which are £13 per month.
    In 2023, and early 2024, HD appeared on my bills every month, but at no charge.
    There was no mention of Ultra HD, on any bill.

I contacted them over the increased bill in March this year.
    As I said I accepted their explanation of my being out of contract.
    I discussed the contract, and agreed the terms.
    The new contract was to cost £50 per month.
    In April they increased the bill from £50 to £53.
    I accepted that this was due to their annual inflationary increase.
    Neither HD, or Ultra HD, were even discussed.
    Yet the increases in my June and July bills are due to the representative giving me both HD and Ultra HD, free for 2 months.
    I was completely unaware of this.
    This time the bill increased from £53 to £66.
    Why did they not make me aware of the trial?

The reason why they would do this is obvious.
    They could have gained just over £30 from me this year.
    Not only me, perhaps millions of others.
    I have informed that I intend to stop my direct debit, should I receive any bills over £53.
    As it conveniently for them, takes 31 days to stop anything.

If they wanted to be above board in their dealings with their customers they could.
    Why cant they send you you an email, say one month before your contract ends, inviting you to contact them, with a view to renewing it?
    For instance all car/home insurance companies do this without fail every year.

If they plan on giving you stuff on a free trial, shouldnt they first have to ask you if want if, and give you the option of going ahead with it, or not?

They seem happier to be able to get a few quid extra out of their customers.

I let the guy I spoke to have it yesterday.
    To be fair he seemed quite a decent bloke.

However he did drop a b0ll0ck.
    He stupidly asked me about my broadband.
    I had to point out to him that I had tried to get it from Sky.
    I had entered into a contract.
    Stayed in for three appointments where the engineer didnt turn up.
    Before establishing that Sky were unwilling to port my landline number.
    This was because I was with Now TV, and Sky were unwilling to port my number from one Sky owned company to another.
    As he claimed to be unaware of this, he learnt something yesterday.

They do leave a lot to be desired.
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,630
    We dropped Sky 4 or 5 years ago because of appalling customer service and the audacity to increase prices year on year at their own liking.

There are alternatives.
  • Options
    tai-gar said:

We dropped Sky 4 or 5 years ago because of appalling customer service and the audacity to increase prices year on year at their own liking.

There are alternatives.

What have you got?
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,630
    BT with BT internet. You can pick and choose any of the Sky as an add on.
  • Options
    tai-gar said:

BT with BT internet. You can pick and choose any of the Sky as an add on.

I have got BT internet.
    I will have to have a look.
  • Options
    JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 313
    Got to haggle yearly and be ready to leave. Retentions ring you back I guarantee within a week after you cancel and throw in a lot of extras and discounts more ever year u are with them - Must ring at least a month before your contract ends and be fully ready to cancel - 0333 7591 018, they will over you stuff immediately but demand more. The win back team have been able to offer me up to 50% off at various times.

If all that fails - buy a firestick and pay around 60 quid for the year for everything - the only downside with these is depending who sets it up they are always liable for buffering, not the best say when u are watching a World heavyweight unification or various big live events.
  • Options
    JammyFker said:

Got to haggle yearly and be ready to leave. Retentions ring you back I guarantee within a week after you cancel and throw in a lot of extras and discounts more ever year u are with them - Must ring at least a month before your contract ends and be fully ready to cancel - 0333 7591 018, they will over you stuff immediately but demand more. The win back team have been able to offer me up to 50% off at various times.

If all that fails - buy a firestick and pay around 60 quid for the year for everything - the only downside with these is depending who sets it up they are always liable for buffering, not the best say when u are watching a World heavyweight unification or various big live events.

Ok.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,214
    edited May 31
    JammyFker said:

I agree totally with Jammy

I've got rid of SKY TV altogether..... and can't believe I've paid so much for it in the past, when we had a Firestick (wife had it in her TV, even though she has a smart TV)

SKY couldn't offer me a deal on TV 'coz they'd loaded ALL the discounts onto my SKY Broadband ( I pay £16.50 per month for Superfast 65mbps ) which I'm very happy with :)

.....and I've got loads of stuff on my Watchlist to go thru' too, so I defo won't be going back to SKY TV anytime soon.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

JammyFker said:

I agree totally with Jammy

I've got rid of SKY TV altogether..... and can't believe I've paid so much for it in the past, when we had a Firestick (wife had it in her TV, even though she has a smart TV)

SKY couldn't offer me a deal on TV 'coz they'd loaded ALL the discounts onto my SKY Broadband ( I pay £16.50 per month for Superfast 65mbps ) which I'm very happy with :)

.....and I've got loads of stuff on my Watchlist to go thru' too, so I defo won't be going back to SKY TV anytime soon.
    I would be happy if they just treated customers fairly, and didnt try to rip them off.
    If only they would just stick to the deal.
    What I disapprove of is that they slip things into the contract without my consent.
    Like slipping in short term free trials, that are designed to get a few more quid off you, when they run out.
    I would prefer it if the bill equated to the price agreed, for the full term of the contract.
    If they cant do this they should agree shorter contacts.
    I think they should send an email reminder a month before your contract ends.

I suppose I am fairly happy with the the Sky product.
    Or at least, I am not aware of a better one.

I have no interest in trying to convince them that my wife has no shoes, or that my kids are hungry.

I would be happy with a fair deal, and no surprises.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

I find myself getting annoyed with Sky on a regular basis.
    I really wish there was an alternative.
    I have sold Double Glazing, and Timeshare, but none of the companies I have worked for would have treated their customers as Sky do.
    I would describe Sky as very slippery.
    In January/February they increased the price of my monthly contract.
    I accepted thier explanation when I contacted them in March.
    They claimed the difference was due to my contract ending.
    They had introduced new charges over part of a month in January, and the full month in February.
    Thereby increasing my bill over two months, from £48 to £64.

The same thing was about to happen in June/July.
    They introduced charges over a part month in June, and the full month in July.
    These charges relate to HD, and Ultra HD.
    The charges for which are £13 per month.
    In 2023, and early 2024, HD appeared on my bills every month, but at no charge.
    There was no mention of Ultra HD, on any bill.

I contacted them over the increased bill in March this year.
    As I said I accepted their explanation of my being out of contract.
    I discussed the contract, and agreed the terms.
    The new contract was to cost £50 per month.
    In April they increased the bill from £50 to £53.
    I accepted that this was due to their annual inflationary increase.
    Neither HD, or Ultra HD, were even discussed.
    Yet the increases in my June and July bills are due to the representative giving me both HD and Ultra HD, free for 2 months.
    I was completely unaware of this.
    This time the bill increased from £53 to £66.
    Why did they not make me aware of the trial?

The reason why they would do this is obvious.
    They could have gained just over £30 from me this year.
    Not only me, perhaps millions of others.
    I have informed that I intend to stop my direct debit, should I receive any bills over £53.
    As it conveniently for them, takes 31 days to stop anything.

If they wanted to be above board in their dealings with their customers they could.
    Why cant they send you you an email, say one month before your contract ends, inviting you to contact them, with a view to renewing it?
    For instance all car/home insurance companies do this without fail every year.

If they plan on giving you stuff on a free trial, shouldnt they first have to ask you if want if, and give you the option of going ahead with it, or not?

They seem happier to be able to get a few quid extra out of their customers.

I let the guy I spoke to have it yesterday.
    To be fair he seemed quite a decent bloke.

However he did drop a b0ll0ck.
    He stupidly asked me about my broadband.
    I had to point out to him that I had tried to get it from Sky.
    I had entered into a contract.
    Stayed in for three appointments where the engineer didnt turn up.
    Before establishing that Sky were unwilling to port my landline number.
    This was because I was with Now TV, and Sky were unwilling to port my number from one Sky owned company to another.
    As he claimed to be unaware of this, he learnt something yesterday.

They do leave a lot to be desired.

I checked my future bills this morning and they are £53.
    Well up to September at least.