You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Council raises tax by maximum after comedian gets £500k to run Facebook Covid page

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,310

I'm struggling to believe that, or even take it at face value.

I so hope it's untrue.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,054
    Tikay10 said:

I so hope it's untrue.

@Essexphil will have something to say about it.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

I so hope it's untrue.

@Essexphil will have something to say about it.
    I have.

It's just politicians playing politics. And the BBC really should be better than this.

People should not just be pigeon-holed in this way. He has carried out various comedic stuff. And made fun of 30p Lee. So what?

The key questions are not what he may do outside of this, but what he did in this venture. And whether that represented value for money.

The article makes it sound like a scam. When it is not. He provided various services to Essex County Council for 3 years. And clearly utilised the services of various professionals to achieve that. And the article makes it sound like there is something dodgy about paying a Main Contractor, for that Main Contractor to pay the Sub-Contractors.

Was it "value for money"? No idea. Simply because I have no idea what work was done.
    Why was this service not put out to tender? Again-no idea. Although that would be a whole lot easier to justify in 2020 than 2023.

I'm no fan of Essex County Council. It is possible that some of this £500,000 represents bad value for money.

Meanwhile, if you want a more relevant story for Essex Taxpayers, try this. Essex County Council are facing pressure from this Government to take over Thurrock Council's services. Thurrock is geographically in Essex. It chose to leave Essex for Administrative purposes under a Conservative administration. And has run up a £1.5 Billion debt. Almost all of which was lending money to a shyster who has no connection to Essex or Thurrock. Which cannot ever be paid back.

The only people who can plug this £1.5 Billion black hole would be the people of the UK. Or the people of Essex. And this Govt is trying to force the latter. While Thurrock is still being run by the self-same Tory administration. With no Criminal prosecutions
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,751
    In layman’s terms, the council asked a bloke to ask some other blokes to find some blokes to do a job, the blokes who did the job probably got paid an hourly rate.

I work in the joinery trade which is pretty much dying on its feet through lack of skilled people coming through.

I see countless posts asking for tradesmen ( be it in my trade, or decorating, plumbing, electrician etc etc) which are pretty insulting tbh “ Can anyone do this quick job, should only take a couple of hours “

One person actually put the price they were willing to pay for said job, they had zero knowledge of the job.

I’m glad I’m near retirement, it seems this country is full of middle men.

Seems I’m a bit grumpy today.