You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Asda: Full list of stores going cashless as manned supermarket checkouts are scrapped

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,047
At 14 stores, cash tills have already been scrapped.

Almost 100 Asda supermarkets will be going cashless in a controversial blow to shoppers.

Manned tills are already being binned off from the retailer's petrol stations, with an Asda spokesperson saying that 90 per cent of transactions are now made via credit or debit card. Now, a full list of forecourts going cash-free has been confirmed by the supermarket chain.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/asda-full-list-of-stores-going-cashless-as-manned-supermarket-checkouts-are-scrapped/ar-BB1hbzNB?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=326178360d7742a9b057a1661a5acc52&ei=24

Comments

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520
    edited January 24
    What a terrible article. An important subject-handed to an illiterate.

Which is it? The Headline says it is supermarket checkouts.

The list refers to "paying at the pump"-so referring to the petrol stations-not the supermarkets. Providing "a list of forecourts going cash-free". It's drivers-not shoppers.

Do these journalists get paid?
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,310

@Essexphil

"An important subject-handed to an illiterate."

Seems a little harsh on @HAYSIE

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,047
    News about Asda: Full List Of Stores Going Cashless As Manned S…
    bing.com/news
    Full list of Asda locations going cashless as supermarket axes manned tills
    The Sun
    · 7h
    Full list of Asda locations going cashless as supermarket axes manned tills
    SUPERMARKET giant Asda has revealed 82 locations where it is going cashless in a …

LBC
    · 6h
    Full list of Asda stores set to go cashless as manned checkouts scrapped - is your area affected?
    MSN
    · 8h
    Asda: Full list of stores going cashless as manned supermarket checkouts are scrapped
    Full list of Scots Asda stores going cashless as supermarket giant axes traditional checkout tills
    The Scottish Sun
    · 2h
    Full list of Scots Asda stores going cashless as supermarket giant axes traditional checkout tills
    TheSentinel
    · 2h
    Asda unveils plans to go cashless - full list of affected sites
    Birmingham Mail
    · 22h
    Asda shares plans to go cashless - full list of 82 locations affected
    The Mirror
    · 12h
    Asda confirms full list of 82 locations where manned checkouts are being axed
    Bristol Post
    · 22h
    Asda to ban cash at 82 petrol stations by summer - full list
    Daily Mail
    · 7d
    Furious pensioner demands apology from Asda after he was banned from store for running down closed travelator to get home to his seriously ill wife

See all
    See more news
    feedback

Global web icon
    LBC
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/asda-full-list-cashless-stores
    Asda: Full list of stores going cashless as manned tills …
    Web6 hours ago · Asda stores are set to go cashless as manned checkouts are scrapped across the UK - here is a full list of locations affected. Listen to this article Loading audio... Asda …

Global web icon
    The Sun
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/25467946/asda-stores-going-cashless...
    Full list of Asda locations going cashless as supermarket axes …
    Web11 hours ago · SUPERMARKET giant Asda has revealed 82 locations where it is going cashless in a blow for shoppers. The Sun previously revealed the retailer has already axed …

Global web icon
    MSN
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/asda-full-list-of-stores-going...
    Asda: Full list of stores going cashless as manned …
    WebAsda: Full list of stores going cashless as manned supermarket checkouts are scrapped Microsoft Cares About Your Privacy Microsoft and our third-party vendors use cookies to …

Global web icon
    The Scottish Sun
    https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/money/11846233/full-list-scottish...
    Full list of Scots Asda stores going cashless as …
    Web2 hours ago · Retail HUGE CHANGE Full list of Scots Asda stores going cashless as supermarket giant axes traditional checkout tills There are seven locations in Scotland …

Global web icon
    The Mirror
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/asda-confirms-full-list-82-31953225
    Asda confirms full list of 82 locations where manned checkouts …
    Web12 hours ago · Asda has confirmed the full list of 82 petrol station sites where it will be axing manned checkouts. It means drivers will only be able to pay at the pump and face a …

Global web icon
    newstars.edu.vn
    https://www.newstars.edu.vn/full-list-of-asda-locations-going-cashless...
    Full list of Asda locations going cashless as supermarket axes …
    Web22 hours ago · SUPERMARKET giant Asda has revealed 82 locations that will go cashless, in a major blow to shoppers. The Sun previously revealed that the retailer had already …

People also ask
    Ask Bing AI
    Is Asda going cashless in Scotland?
    SUPERMARKET giant Asda has revealed a number of locations in Scotland are going cashless this year. A total of 82 sites across the UK will be making the move as they axed manned tills at petrol stations. Asda plans to go cashless at 82 locations across the UK by summer Credit: Alamy
    Full list of Scots Asda stores going cashless as supermarket giant axe…

www.thescottishsun.co.uk/money/11846233/full-list-scott…
    Ask Bing AI
    How many 'unmanned' forecourts does Asda have?
    Asda has 300 forecourts attached to its superstores and over half of these sites are already "unmanned". An Asda spokesperson said: “As more than 90% of all payments on our Superstore forecourts are made via card or a contactless device, the colleagues who worked on these sites are moving into the store so they can better serve our customers.
    Asda confirms full list of 82 locations where manned checkouts are bei…

www.mirror.co.uk/money/asda-confirms-full-list-82-31953…
    Ask Bing AI
    Can I block £99 from my Asda account?
    This change was introduced in early 2022 and at Asda, up to £99 can be blocked from your account. Before the change, you always had to pay a pre-authorisation or holding fee when you filled up at a pay at the pump petrol station but the fee was £1.
    Asda confirms full list of 82 locations where manned checkouts are bei…

www.mirror.co.uk/money/asda-confirms-full-list-82-31953…
    Ask Bing AI
    Does Tesco have a cashless store?
    In February last year, Big 4 grocer Tesco opened its first ever mainstream cashless store in London’s High Holborn, allowing users to pay with a range of digital payment options including contactless cards and digital wallets like Apple Pay. The store featured only contain self-service checkouts in a bid to streamline the entire payment process.
    Are cashless stores the future of grocery? - Retail Gazette

www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2021/07/are-cashless-store…
    Feedback
    Global web icon
    WalesOnline
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/asda-ban-cash-82...
    Asda to ban cash at 82 petrol stations by summer - full list
    Web7 hours ago · Asda has released the locations of 82 locations which are going to go fully cashless this summer. The supermarket is banning cash from fuel forecourts at these …

Global web icon
    Retail Gazette
    https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2023/12/self-checkout-supermarkets
    Rage against the machine: Will more grocers ditch self-checkout?
    WebDecember 14, 2023 Last month Booths axed its self-service checkouts in all but two of its 28 stores, claiming the move was in response to customer demand. The supermarket …

Global web icon
    Which?
    https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/future-of-supermarket-checkouts...
    Supermarket self-checkouts, checkout-free tech or …
    Web15 Dec 2023 · Most supermarket executives appear to share this view. Between 60% and 70% of 100 retail executives believe ‘reduced or no checkout (i.e. frictionless, “just walk …

Global web icon
    Retail Gazette
    https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2021/07/are-cashless-stores-the...
    Are cashless stores the future of grocery? - Retail Gazette
    WebJuly 12, 2021. Online retailers have been seeking to transfer some of their digital efficiency to bricks-and-mortar stores. Although headlines in recent years have predicted a move to …
    Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

"An important subject-handed to an illiterate."

Seems a little harsh on @HAYSIE

That does seem to be the case.
    It will affect motorists rather shoppers.
    Make sure you read stuff before you post it in future.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,310

My local Tesco has been card only self-serve for some years now. 6 Pumps, & no staff.

It took a bit of getting used to at first, but it soon became "normal" & now I much prefer it to regular petrol stations. It makes so much more sense to use plastic imo.

Life is changing, we all need to change with the times.

Tikay10 said:

My local Tesco has been card only self-serve for some years now. 6 Pumps, & no staff.

It took a bit of getting used to at first, but it soon became "normal" & now I much prefer it to regular petrol stations. It makes so much more sense to use plastic imo.

Life is changing, we all need to change with the times.

Definitely the way things are going.
    I rarely use cash these days.

• VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,272
    Idiots
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520
    Terrible. For 2 reasons.

1. There are over 1 million adults who are unable to get a bank account in the UK. Who will be unable to get petrol from all these places

2. Asda do not just discriminate against those who cannot get a bank card. They also discriminate against the poor. In my area (and I suspect most others) you cannot use the pump unless you have more than £100 in your account. So-for example-if you have £90 in your account, and want to buy £50-worth of petrol, you are refused
    Essexphil said:

Terrible. For 2 reasons.

1. There are over 1 million adults who are unable to get a bank account in the UK. Who will be unable to get petrol from all these places

2. Asda do not just discriminate against those who cannot get a bank card. They also discriminate against the poor. In my area (and I suspect most others) you cannot use the pump unless you have more than £100 in your account. So-for example-if you have £90 in your account, and want to buy £50-worth of petrol, you are refused

When I was growing up, I was aware of people that couldnt get a bank account.
    Although it was still possible to get a BS account with a card.
    The company that I used to work for refused to take on new starters, unless they had a bank account that their wages could be paid into.
    I believe this was in response to new HMRC regulations at the time.
  • dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,054
    Essexphil said:

Terrible. For 2 reasons.

I used one of these unmanned Asda pumps very recently.
    It pre authorises £99 worth of fuel when you insert your card, as Phil says.
    Obviously you are only actually charged the correct amount at the end.

From what I remember on the notice at the pumps, this is a MasterCard/Visa initiative.

It does discriminate against those who don't have that much available.