You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

do jobs ever ask for a break down of degree?

DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,817
So hopefully in last year of degree, and the mathematics breaks down as I can only get a 2.1 or a 2.2 degree classification.
It is not mathematically possible for me to get a 3rd class honours or a first.

What is hypothetically possible is if I finish with a 2.2 or 2.1 I can then choose to sub out modules and take extra modules to replace them with to try and get a higher score and a higher degree. so If I got two distinctions in my remaining two modules I could in theory sub out a year 3 module and a year two module for another year two and year 3 module I take the following year to get a first. personally I think in that spot it would make more sense to do a masters degree if I was going to do further study.

Most employers want a 2.1 degree and a 2.2 degree makes it much harder to get a job. That is not me making the statement that if you get a 2.2 degree its worthless and less valuable then toilet paper as some people seem to quote me as saying.

I am fully aware there are cases of people that get 2.2 degrees who still do well, but your making it a lot harder to get through the door with a 2.2 then it would be with a 2.1

What I wonder though is once you have the 2.1 do many employers look at the break down and go ah I see in stochastic statistics you got a grade 2 this is good but I don't like that you got a grade 4 in linear algebra or etc. (btw this is me making up module names, for some reason I am not desperate to give the exact break down of my degree module names and scores here OU modules have different names to this but those are realistic names for modules on a math degree) the OU works on a different grading to most universities for modules

a grade 1 is above a first
a grade 2 is somewhere between a 2.1 and a 1st its better then a 2.1 but not necessarily as good as a first.
a grade 3 is somewhere between a 2.1 and 2.2 its better then a 2.2 score but not necessarily as good as a 2.1
a grade 4 is a pass equivelent to a third but can be as good as a 2.2 score.

you need 40-54 to get a grade 4
55-69 to get a grade 3
70-84 to get a grade 2
85+ to get a grade 1/distinction

it gets complicated how it works but basically if I got every grade as a grade 2 except 25% of year two credits was grade 1 and 25% of year 3 credits was grade one this would be a first.
if I got a grade 3 in every module except 50% of the credits at year 3 were grade two this would be a 2.1

on your grades it doesnt show your score eg if you got 69 and a grade 3 it would only show grade 3 which would look the same as getting 55.

basically I have hit grade 2 in everything except two exams where anxiety got the better of me and caused a crash resulting in grade 4. I worry that this might put future employers off I likely should get a 2.1 this year.

Comments