You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Reminder - it's the £400 PLO8 tonight

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,953
edited February 15 in Poker Chat
Also known as the Neil Channing Benefit gig.

After winning the first two weeks @NChanning departed unfashionably early in it last week, so he'll be keen to make amends.

Here's the Lobby link;


https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=go_tnmt_lobby&game_id=37739740&guid=60835336-ebed-49d1-9386-bc7be9e9fe77



BUST THIS MAN













«1

Comments

  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,272
    But just look at his impish grin, flowing locks and boyish charm. It's very difficult to knock him out because you just get the feeling that you're stealing his dinner money!
  • NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 850
    Struggled to put any food in the fridge this week, relieved to see the PLO8 is back again.
  • thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 932
    Already busted most of my earlier games. I will give this a bash tonight, especially having my regular Thursday Uncle duties cancelled.
  • pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Great fun tonight, decent banter in the chat, river cards causing chaos all over the place.
    It reminded me why I love the multicard format. Honestly thought I was in with a shout , silly boy.
    Also sadly reminded of how old I am when someone didn’t get a Boomtown Rats reference
    Ouch
  • Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767
    edited February 15
    pompeynic said:

    Great fun tonight, decent banter in the chat, river cards causing chaos all over the place.
    It reminded me why I love the multicard format. Honestly thought I was in with a shout , silly boy.
    Also sadly reminded of how old I am when someone didn’t get a Boomtown Rats reference
    Ouch

    Apologies for not getting the Boomtown rats reference - not a case of you being too old, more a case of me being too young and too thick. :lol:

    I have my ups and downs (more downs) with PLO8 but it's such a roller-coaster of a format. Outdraws galore.

    You were great company at the table tonight Nic, were very unlucky towards the end. :disappointed:
  • bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    Rigged

    There’s a plastic deck tournament next Sat 24th at Aspers Stratford being run by APAT. £120 I think. I’ll be there if that doesn’t put anyone off.
  • Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767
    edited February 18
    Was looking back at hands from this Thursday's game and wanted to pick the brains of anyone who knows what they are doing when it comes to PLO8 (am looking at you @Tikay10 ), as I'm still relatively new to it. Wondering how we're supposed to play the below hand from the final table and whether we're meant to take this spot for a potential bounty.

    It's not an amazing hand with no low cards/possible low-draw, but it's one of those hands that just looks too pretty to let go. And once villain 3-bets out of his stack, I can only really fold or put opponent all-in

    Anyone doing the same here as me and or is it just a fold? Felt like a punt by me in hindsight and was lucky to chop the pot in the end.

    Also interested if we'd be better limping this hand pre rather than raising?

    Thoughts appreciated.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    onejohnbSmall blind800.00800.0018978.37
    pompeynicBig blind1600.002400.0028511.68
    Your hole cards
    • 10
    • Q
    • Q
    • J
    Asho28Raise3200.005600.0054602.43
    loolololloFold
    bbMikeFold
    onejohnbRaise10400.0016000.008578.37
    pompeynicFold
    Asho28Raise32000.0048000.0022602.43
    onejohnbAll-in8578.3756578.370.00
    Asho28Unmatched bet15421.6341156.7438024.06
    onejohnbShow
    • A
    • A
    • 9
    • 8
    Asho28Show
    • 10
    • Q
    • Q
    • J
    Flop
    • 7
    • 3
    • A
    Turn
    • 10
    River
    • 5
    Asho28Win highFlush to the Queen20578.3858602.44
    onejohnbWin low8-low20578.3620578.36
  • pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Asho28 said:

    Was looking back at hands from this Thursday's game and wanted to pick the brains of anyone who knows what they are doing when it comes to PLO8 (am looking at you @Tikay10 ), as I'm still relatively new to it. Wondering how we're supposed to play the below hand from the final table and whether we're meant to take this spot for a potential bounty.

    It's not an amazing hand with no low cards/possible low-draw, but it's one of those hands that just looks too pretty to let go. And once villain 3-bets out of his stack, I can only really fold or put opponent all-in

    Anyone doing the same here as me and or is it just a fold? Felt like a punt by me in hindsight and was lucky to chop the pot in the end.

    Also interested if we'd be better limping this hand pre rather than raising?

    Thoughts appreciated.

    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    onejohnbSmall blind800.00800.0018978.37
    pompeynicBig blind1600.002400.0028511.68
    Your hole cards
    • 10
    • Q
    • Q
    • J
    Asho28Raise3200.005600.0054602.43
    loolololloFold
    bbMikeFold
    onejohnbRaise10400.0016000.008578.37
    pompeynicFold
    Asho28Raise32000.0048000.0022602.43
    onejohnbAll-in8578.3756578.370.00
    Asho28Unmatched bet15421.6341156.7438024.06
    onejohnbShow
    • A
    • A
    • 9
    • 8
    Asho28Show
    • 10
    • Q
    • Q
    • J
    Flop
    • 7
    • 3
    • A
    Turn
    • 10
    River
    • 5
    Asho28Win highFlush to the Queen20578.3858602.44
    onejohnbWin low8-low20578.3620578.36
    Hi @Asho28 ,
    It might be a good idea to start a new thread with this, titled something like, PLO8 Hand reviews and discussions , helping to unravel the mysteries of the beautiful four card game, in the hope of attracting more views and possibly opening up avenues to getting more new players to give it a go.
  • River_FoxRiver_Fox Member Posts: 118
    no expert here but i am not a fan of playing hands without an ace in, especially for such a big pot. might be wrong tho @Asho28
  • Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767
    pompeynic said:

    Asho28 said:

    Was looking back at hands from this Thursday's game and wanted to pick the brains of anyone who knows what they are doing when it comes to PLO8 (am looking at you @Tikay10 ), as I'm still relatively new to it. Wondering how we're supposed to play the below hand from the final table and whether we're meant to take this spot for a potential bounty.

    It's not an amazing hand with no low cards/possible low-draw, but it's one of those hands that just looks too pretty to let go. And once villain 3-bets out of his stack, I can only really fold or put opponent all-in

    Anyone doing the same here as me and or is it just a fold? Felt like a punt by me in hindsight and was lucky to chop the pot in the end.

    Also interested if we'd be better limping this hand pre rather than raising?

    Thoughts appreciated.

    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    onejohnbSmall blind800.00800.0018978.37
    pompeynicBig blind1600.002400.0028511.68
    Your hole cards
    • 10
    • Q
    • Q
    • J
    Asho28Raise3200.005600.0054602.43
    loolololloFold
    bbMikeFold
    onejohnbRaise10400.0016000.008578.37
    pompeynicFold
    Asho28Raise32000.0048000.0022602.43
    onejohnbAll-in8578.3756578.370.00
    Asho28Unmatched bet15421.6341156.7438024.06
    onejohnbShow
    • A
    • A
    • 9
    • 8
    Asho28Show
    • 10
    • Q
    • Q
    • J
    Flop
    • 7
    • 3
    • A
    Turn
    • 10
    River
    • 5
    Asho28Win highFlush to the Queen20578.3858602.44
    onejohnbWin low8-low20578.3620578.36
    Hi @Asho28 ,
    It might be a good idea to start a new thread with this, titled something like, PLO8 Hand reviews and discussions , helping to unravel the mysteries of the beautiful four card game, in the hope of attracting more views and possibly opening up avenues to getting more new players to give it a go.
    @pompeynic

    Hiya, yeah I'd be fine to do that. Generally though, hand review threads that I've seen in the past haven't generated much interest. Also likely that a good chunk of the forum traffic either have never played PLO8 or are not interested in it; Therefore felt better to put it in here where several regulars to PLO8 have already posted.

    Agree that would be good to see more people giving the game a go.
  • Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767
    River_Fox said:

    no expert here but i am not a fan of playing hands without an ace in, especially for such a big pot. might be wrong tho @Asho28

    Yeah I agree @River_Fox and generally I follow this rule, but can be dependent on how tight/loose the table is playing or what my stack is.

    Would be surprised if we're meant to fold this hand, but definitely wouldn't be surprised if I've overplayed the hand massively. A much easier spot to take if villain has a shorter stack given the bounty factor, but putting 12BBs here with this hand may well be too loose.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,953
    edited February 19
    @Asho28

    Interesting spot.

    First up, I'm famously selective (or read "nitty" if you like) with starting hands in PLO8. It's probably an age thing.

    First, I'd look at who my opponent is. It's @onejohnb who knows exactly what he's doing, & is maybe the last player we want to double up. If he has half the stack he has, yeah, lets try & bust him, but double him up here & our advantage has gone.

    I'd be seriously tempted to take a flop but I hope I'd be disciplined enough to either fold or limp. (Ignore the usual "never limp" advice which is more relevant to NLH, limping in the right spots is fine in PLO8 imo).

    Two of my golden pre-flop rules are don't go to war without an Ace, & make sure we have something at both ends. (High & Low). Our hand is pretty, yes yes, but we don't have nut diamonds or hearts, & a low flop pretty much kills our chance of scooping as we don't have a Low draw. Remember, the art of the game is trying to scoop, not chop.

    The flop comes two diamonds, but all Low. MOST of the time - most of the time - players are playing the Low, & will have an Ace in their hand. So the Low likely gets there, & they have hit their Ace. In probability we are in terrible shape to scoop, in fact as he's likely hit his ace we are likely to be dead with our high unless we find another diamond, & even that might not be good enough & we don't have a Low, so he's gonna scoop.

    I really really don't want to double @onejohnb up, he's too good. So I hope I either fold or limp, & that I surrender to any pressure on the flop.

    Interesting spot. I'd be interested to read what others think.

    PS - It's a lot easier to analyse these spots after the event than it is "in the moment".



  • pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    If I remember correctly, this was the second orbit in a row you had raised my BB and @onejohnb had re-raised from the SB. I think you folded the first time, wondered if that had any bearing on you deciding to go to war here?
  • HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,145
    When he re-raises you fold, I know he has quite a wide range but he generally plays with equity.
    I might temped to try and limp that hand in as you have the possibility to take it all if theres no low draw and the flop is favourable,
    Pretty sure if you plugged this into a solver, calling his raise would NOT be profitable and putting it all in definitely isn't.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,953

    Largely speaking I agree with Hendo @HENDRIK62

    Incidentally, FWIW, in PLO, as opposed to PLO8, nothing could make me fold this hand pre-flop, it's such a beaut. Even if my oppo showed me Aces, I'm still not folding. The two games - PLO & PLO8 - are so different.
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,272
    edited February 19
    Odds calculator shows you as a 31%/69% dog pre flop. He has your heart flush draw crushed and you have no low. @onejohnb then proceeds to flop the nut high and a low(which you don't have) and that beautiful river still gives you half the pot! Thank god that certain players don't play PLO8 as they'd be on here all day with their bad beat stories .....oh I forgot... never mind.

    For what it's worth I think it's very much situation dependent and raising pre to steal the blinds is OK, but probably fold to a reraise, certainly from @onejohnb, he's unlikely to be doing it with worse than you. The HH doesn't give @loololollo or @bbMike's stack size, which would be handy to know. If you are the biggest stack then OK but if they have you covered then maybe just fold pre.

    If you had got away with limping pre then the flop is just a fold.

    All IMO obviously.
  • Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767
    pompeynic said:

    If I remember correctly, this was the second orbit in a row you had raised my BB and @onejohnb had re-raised from the SB. I think you folded the first time, wondered if that had any bearing on you deciding to go to war here?

    Yeah I believe that's right. Don't think it had any bearing really, does make me wonder what I raise folded first time a round and whether it was any better than the above.
  • Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767
    edited February 19
    Thanks all, definitely looks like a bit of a pre-flop blunder from me in hindsight. Didn't get deservedly punished on this occasion.

    In terms of limping it though, should I limping some premium hands (AA2K, AA23 etc) pre in this spot too. I agree that the above hand works better as a limp, but surely we need to have a balanced limping range, otherwise good players will probably pick up on this and take advantage.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,953
    edited February 20
    Asho28 said:

    Thanks all, definitely looks like a bit of a pre-flop blunder from me in hindsight. Didn't get deservedly punished on this occasion.

    In terms of limping it though, should I limping some premium hands (AA2K, AA23 etc) pre in this spot too. I agree that the above hand works better as a limp, but surely we need to have a balanced limping range, otherwise good players will probably pick up on this and take advantage.


    Maybe, but I would NOT do it with super big hands such as A-A-2-K or A-A-2-3 though. We MUST raise with these & if need be, go bust with them. The occasional limp with, say, Q-J-10-10 or unsuited A-2-X-X is fine. However it's a big mistake (imo) to go mad with A-2-X-X, we can be in awful shape on so many flops. A-2-X-X is NOT the pre-flop nuts.

  • pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Tikay10 said:

    Asho28 said:

    Thanks all, definitely looks like a bit of a pre-flop blunder from me in hindsight. Didn't get deservedly punished on this occasion.

    In terms of limping it though, should I limping some premium hands (AA2K, AA23 etc) pre in this spot too. I agree that the above hand works better as a limp, but surely we need to have a balanced limping range, otherwise good players will probably pick up on this and take advantage.


    Maybe, but I would NOT do it with super big hands such as A-A-2-K or A-A-2-3 though. We MUST raise with these & if need be, go bust with them. The occasional limp with, say, Q-J-10-10 or unsuited A-2-X-X is fine. However it's a big mistake (imo) to go mad with A-2-X-X, we can be in awful shape on so many flops. A-2-X-X is NOT the pre-flop nuts.

    Agreed @Tikay10
    However , it doesn’t stop yours truly from going bust once in a while with A-2-X-X. In the heat of the moment, I have found myself on the wrong end of it post flop more often than I care to admit
Sign In or Register to comment.