You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Germany may introduce conscription for all 18-year-olds

Comments

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,602
    The numbers don't stack up. This is just a scare story before introducing a lesser measure that will then become more acceptable.

I get that Germany wants to increase the size of their Army from 180,000 to 200,000. The bit I don't get is how conscripting roughly 1.2 million 18-yr-olds is part of that plan...
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 2,019
    you can see our country doing it if the tories stay in power. disability benefits= conscription need a Zimmer frame to get around? have crippling depression or other disability no your fit to work we will conscript the work shy into the military. Wont be effective for an actual combat force but if they can pick on the vulnerable and find ways to further enrich themselves and their rich mates whilst spreading hate you can bet your bottom dollar they gonna do it.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,797
    Doubleme said:

you can see our country doing it if the tories stay in power. disability benefits= conscription need a Zimmer frame to get around? have crippling depression or other disability no your fit to work we will conscript the work shy into the military. Wont be effective for an actual combat force but if they can pick on the vulnerable and find ways to further enrich themselves and their rich mates whilst spreading hate you can bet your bottom dollar they gonna do it.

Well , you're gonna lose your bottom dollar , your hyperbole is of the scale mate
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 2,019
    stokefc said:

Doubleme said:

Well , you're gonna lose your bottom dollar , your hyperbole is of the scale mate
    I meant it as an expression I wouldn't bet all my money on anything no matter how sure I was. I also dont believe there are any bookies taking bets on that specific scenario.
  • HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,188
    The headline really should state 're-introduce' this was still happening when I was teaching in Germany (early 90s), all school leavers had to do this for a year before going on the Uni. or an apprenticeship
  • tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,677
    Essexphil said:

The numbers don't stack up. This is just a scare story before introducing a lesser measure that will then become more acceptable.

I get that Germany wants to increase the size of their Army from 180,000 to 200,000. The bit I don't get is how conscripting roughly 1.2 million 18-yr-olds is part of that plan...

If it teaches them some discipline and self respect i'm all for it. Of course some commitment, social skills and consideration for others would also be beneficial.
  • Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 584
    Only retired Daily Mail readers think national service is a good idea. Teach the youth of today some discipline like back in my day.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,602
    Bean81 said:

Only retired Daily Mail readers think national service is a good idea. Teach the youth of today some discipline like back in my day.

I really wish it was this. But it is worse.

Conscription stopped in about 1942. So to have fought in the War you need to be about 100.

National Service stopped in 1960. So-to have done Service, you would need to be at least 82 today.

We are being lectured about what is "best" for the Youth of today by the generation that managed to escape it.

Because when they say "back in my day" they actually mean "back in my parent's/grandparent's day"