You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

The Eurovision Song Contest

EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,602
I'm not some Little Englander who believes everything we do is great. But let's use last night's Eurovision voting to show something.

I thought our entry was a bit average. Say 12th or 13th out of 25.
The National Juries thought we were a bit average. Placing us 12th or 13th out of 25. About 12-15 of the 37 Juries thought we were in the top 11 (scoring points).
Now let's look at the "Popular" vote. We scored 0 points-the only country to do so. I think there were 38 National votes-and we were not in the top 11 (out of 25) in all 38 of them.

Easy to say we aren't the most popular nation. But what about the multitude of ex-pats who are British Nationals living abroad? Among the largest expat groups in Ireland, Cyprus, Malta, Spain, France, Australia.

How is it possible we score 0?

Comments

• rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,388
    Nobody likes us.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,392
    rabdeniro said:

Nobody likes us.

Could there be any other reason?
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 2,017
    I watched eurovision as is always the thing here its a big event for my girlfriend looked forward to all year.

Our entry was sexually suggestive which is fine nothing wrong with that since many entries were. However dirty bathroom theme was kind of grimy and unpleasant to see look at. That may be why we got zero. There was a lot of hatred for Israel but they still finished top five because their entry was good. Do you think we are more hated then Israel?

our performance was just unpleasant that is why we got zero.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,793
    HAYSIE said:

rabdeniro said:

Nobody likes us.

Yeah , it was a rubbish song and the singers voice sounded weak as pish
    stokefc said:

HAYSIE said:

rabdeniro said:

Nobody likes us.

Yeah , it was a rubbish song and the singers voice sounded weak as pish
    I wont disagree with that, but Phil makes a very good case.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,622
    rabdeniro said:

Nobody likes us.

We don't care.

rabdeniro said:

Nobody likes us.

We don't care.
    Arrogance is probably part of the reason.
    HAYSIE said:

rabdeniro said:

Nobody likes us.

We don't care.
    Sorry, I was referring to Eurovision. Even back in the days of the USSR it was political with all the Eastern Communist bloc nations voting for each other at the expense of the West etc.

Nothing has changed, it's just more polarised than ever with the different factions within Europe voting strategically.

My main point is though what the heck does it matter, its entertainment nothing more. I haven't watched it since the early 90's as I think is total rubbish.

So to the majority of the UK it's nothing, we don't care.

The best thing to emerge from Eurovision was Riverdance.
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,753
    By ex-pats , do you mean immigrants to another Country ? 😉
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,789

rabdeniro said:

Nobody likes us.

We don't care.
    I thought it was in reference to Millwall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdB2WBtzUDg
    lucy4 said:

rabdeniro said:

Nobody likes us.

We don't care.
    I thought it was in reference to Millwall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdB2WBtzUDg
    If you know. You know,
  • Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 584
    The song and performance was in the bottom quartile. Add in some bigotry about the homoerotic performance and it's not surprising. Our perceived attitude towards Europe definitely won't have helped.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,602
    edited May 12
    Bean81 said:

The song and performance was in the bottom quartile. Add in some bigotry about the homoerotic performance and it's not surprising. Our perceived attitude towards Europe definitely won't have helped.

I'm sure that is relevant. But cannot be the whole story. Leaving to one side that I don't feel it was in the bottom quartile, fact remains that every other song, including every other song in the bottom quartile, did receive "popular" votes.

Read plenty of bigoted stuff about homoeroticism. Again, I'm sure that was a factor. But the winner was a cis-male, in a short skirt, whose entire song was about his acceptance of being non-binary!

Similarly, I have read that it was due in part to our entrant being a signatory to a critical letter-yet people seem to forget that the Winner also signed that letter.

I get that migrants from these shores are a strange breed. But none showing enough loyalty to make us be top 11 out of 25 countries in 38 different votes?

1 part of me doesn't care. The mathematician side of me does

HAYSIE said:

rabdeniro said:

Nobody likes us.

We don't care.
    Sorry, I was referring to Eurovision. Even back in the days of the USSR it was political with all the Eastern Communist bloc nations voting for each other at the expense of the West etc.

Nothing has changed, it's just more polarised than ever with the different factions within Europe voting strategically.

My main point is though what the heck does it matter, its entertainment nothing more. I haven't watched it since the early 90's as I think is total rubbish.

I agree, it is absolute bs.
    I cant remember even watching one right through.
    I do think that @Essexphil has a point, in that the public vote differed greatly from the juries.
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

rabdeniro said:

Nobody likes us.

We don't care.

I do think that @Essexphil has a point, in that the public vote differed greatly from the juries.
    You do realise that's twice we've agreed on something in the last month. One of us clearly isn't well. :D

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

rabdeniro said:

Nobody likes us.

We don't care.

You do realise that's twice we've agreed on something in the last month. One of us clearly isn't well. :D
    It wont last.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 2,017
    It had nothing to do with homophobia why our entry did bad. Look take a young women looking like she had been sleeping rough and may be on drugs in a dirty bathroom with a guy in an erotic scene and it likely comes last too.

our performance was dirty and grimmy looking, it being gay is irrelevant lots of non binary/gay performers/performances, ours was just not pleasent to watch or listen to. Switzerlands performer won and he was so gay that it was not so much him coming out of the closet as the closet coming out of him. He deserved to win his performance was exceptional. Ireland came sixth and was non binary and again, albiet a unconventional song, had a great performance. So nothing to do with our performance being gay.

Also Israel came fifth despite all the hate for Israel, Israel's performance was exceptional despite a few rough high notes (probably due to not being able to hear in her monitors over the booing) as well. We came last because our performance was awful, grimy and just had an untalented singer, whether we desereved last or second/ third from last etc etc can be debated but we were awful and thats why we came last. Nothing to do with politics or homophobia.

also my girlfried has stuff to add to.

It was quite clear upon the semi final performance that our singer basically just couldn't sing, there was so many dud notes it became annoying to listen to and the issues were originally blamed on monitors in the semi finale. As someone who has done singing for 2 decades, it was quite easy to tell that these were more than "audio issues", these were vocal issues of just not being able to pitch. In the final, his pitching was almost as bad as in the semi final, surprise surprise(!). In terms of vocal performances, the only other as bad this year would have been Estonia, which compensated quite greatly with more interesting staging and presentation than ours, the intro performed from the crowd being a Eurovision first. Serbia was also vocally very poor and her vocal tuning fell flatter and flatter throughout, but yet again, was more visually pleasing than our entry, hence why I can understand why these did better despite being poorer musical entries which were delivered worse. Apart from these, every single other performance vocally was better than ours, even those with lesser well created songs and it seems to come from a sheer lack of giving a sh*t on our part and the part of the mockery of the "Big 4" which automatically get qualification no matter how god **** awful they are and sometimes I believe deliberately. In the past 4 years, the UK have sent one incredible singer with Sam Ryder, and 3 other singers so bad, you could find a better singer in a cover band down a pub.

• Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 584
    Fair point about the other performers being different to the norm. Our entry was terrible though and I said to Mrs Bean there's a good chance of nil point.

I wished I'd lumped on Switzerland like I did Ukraine that time. It was obvious it would win within one minute of the performance as it had everything that wins the competition. I don't know why we find it so difficult to repeat that approach, but ultimately don't care.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,602
    Everybody can have different opinions-music is a deeply personal thing.

However, we have a quite extraordinary competition. In that the first half of the votes (the jury) relate to a Friday performance that we are not allowed to see. And then votes we are not allowed to see in relation to a performance we do.

For me, our entry was far better sung in the Final than in the Semi-suspect his less energetic dance routine had a lot to do with that. Was he great? No. But he was reasonable.

Switzerland? I thought nerves got the better of them and they sang badly in the Final. Whereas they sang far better after they had won. And no doubt also sang better on the Friday, where they got most of their votes. Shame we will never see it.

Love the idea that Israel could both be "exceptional" and with a "few rough notes". It was the latter. Although it was considerably better than Ukraine. Which IMHO was not in the Top 20.

Point is-there were 38 countries giving opinions. And those opinions differed in relation to 24 of 25 acts. Just being unanimous that we were not in the Top 11. Unlike every other Act. And the opinion of the Judges.

In votes we will never see.