You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

my grudge against southampton the history

DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 2,017
So some people on here may be aware that I do not like Southampton football club. I am not sure if I have gone into the full details here but a few people have asked me on the tables what this about so I thought I would make a thread to refer people to.

A lot of people grew up supporting a football team and became life long fans of that team. This never quite happened for me, however I did grow up booing and hating a team and have become a life long hater of Southampton football club.

So how did this all start? well it started from a young age when I was 10 or 11 in school I was not to popular at school and my english teacher wanted to be popular with the students in the class so regulary tried to score points by putting me down. He was a big southampton fan a massive southampton fan. He often made a big deal about it in class so naturally I started to enjoy when southampton lost.

The kids in school were like we dont have any other local teams in the premiership how can I route against Southampton and picked on me for this which made me enjoy watching southampton fail more and boo southampton more.

over the years this formed a natural cycle which grew my anti southampton bias further and further. There were some close battles where Southampton battled hard and stayed up and boy did they enjoy rubbing that in my face which made the hunger to see them relegated stronger.

I remember one of the best days of my life which also involves a mystery that was never solved. Relegation Sunday ah what a beautiful day that was. I was living in Birmingham at the time and went to a pub to watch the game there were several teams all fighting to stay up on similiar points who could all go down it was going to be decided on the final day of the season sunday and was dubbed relegation sunday.

southampton were playing Manu and I walked into a pub in Birmingham and for some reason that I cannot explain the pub was full of southampton fans. There was like near 500 southampton fans 2 manu fans who were keeping a low profile and me who made it very clear to the southampton fans that I was not a manu fan but specifically came to boo southampton.

why there was 500 southampton fans in a pub in Birmingham I do not know, anyway the day started of awful with southampton going up a goal and the other team games going against what I wanted. It looked near certain that southampton would stay up. Boy did they like rubbing it in my face joshing my hair and singing oh when the saints come marching in etc.

However what a turning point the manu bang in two and the other games suddenly turn and ina beautiful 10/15 minutes of football southampton went from been almost certainly safe to almost certainly down and boy did I relish this. taking their lyrics and turning it against them I started " oh when the saints go marching down" they did not appreciate this. I had quite a few drinks and when the final whistle went I took a running dive across the pub pumping my fists in the air almost as if i was the person that scored the winning goal. they tried to land kicks and punches but either I was too drunk to feel it or they did not make proper contact but i got the message and ran straight out the pub I was actually chased by a mob but managed to make it back to my property at the time in a block of flats and bolted doors behind me. I then opened the window to taunt the southampton fans they threw eggs now this is the big mystery where the heck did they get eggs from?

anyway they tried but never managed to hit me or get any egg into my room.

The next big day was when southampton were facing relegation from the Championship. This time I had actually got tickets to the game and entered hells stadium itself (otherwise known as st marys stadium) They were playing Burnely who were fighting for promotion. I had actually bought two tickets as I had a date to go with me to the game but she was actually a southampton fan who had lied to me to get me to waste the money on the spare ticket and stood me up. I guess that made southampton been relegated all the sweeter, at the end of the game when southampton fans stormed the pitch I went to the spot facing the pitch directly and did two thumbs down I got barraged with coins and caught enough to pay for my drinking binge that night. on leaving the stadium a southampton fan tried to fully go for me but there was strong police presence and he got rugby tackled to the floor and arrested I walked on with jolly laughter.

These days my girlfriend wont let me have the clashes with southampton fans as she fears for my safety and to be fair I have had some close shaves in the past because obviously southampton fans can be violent thugs. So these days its normally just booing them from home but of course I will be routing for Westbrom tonight.

Comments

• TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,622
    Wow, you must have found the only aggressive Saints fans in history. yes I am aware that they have a small firm but usually they are only ever really up for it when they play Pompey.

All the years when I was part of that scene, Southampton away was a nice day out, a few beers, a stroll around town, a few more beers, watch Stoke lose (we never did much at Southampton) and then come home.

It says much about how nice their fan base is that generally when they came to Stoke, many Stoke "Lads" didn't turn out because Southampton were just a "Mum and Dad" club.

Oh I can see why your GF refuses to let you out. If that pub had been packed with fans from any other club, I'm disputing your figure of 500, you would have been very seriously injured or worse.

Proper football lads don't go in for 10 on to 1 or all that, but 1 of them would have ironed you out without a second thought.

• Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 876
    Doubleme said:

had quite a few drinks and when the final whistle went I took a running dive across the pub pumping my fists in the air almost as if i was the person that scored the winning goal. they tried to land kicks and punches but either I was too drunk to feel it or they did not make proper contact but i got the message

Brilliant :D
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 2,017

Wow, you must have found the only aggressive Saints fans in history. yes I am aware that they have a small firm but usually they are only ever really up for it when they play Pompey.

All the years when I was part of that scene, Southampton away was a nice day out, a few beers, a stroll around town, a few more beers, watch Stoke lose (we never did much at Southampton) and then come home.

It says much about how nice their fan base is that generally when they came to Stoke, many Stoke "Lads" didn't turn out because Southampton were just a "Mum and Dad" club.

Oh I can see why your GF refuses to let you out. If that pub had been packed with fans from any other club, I'm disputing your figure of 500, you would have been very seriously injured or worse.

Proper football lads don't go in for 10 on to 1 or all that, but 1 of them would have ironed you out without a second thought.

I didnt do an actual count that was always an estimate but it was a big pub and it was packed.
    I dont know how i got out of there without injury maybe they were trying to scare me off rather then go for the kill I dont know.

• JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 376
    Sounds like some deep scars there that u really need to resolve tbh :(
    JammyFker said:

na i dont think so I think a lot of people have a boyhood team they support all their life I am just the same except its a team I boo and route against.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,602
    Doubleme said:

JammyFker said:

na i dont think so I think a lot of people have a boyhood team they support all their life I am just the same except its a team I boo and route against.
    No. It's not the same.

Football supporters are following the Tribal instincts of humanity over millenia. Since the Cavemen.

It is in the nature of Mankind to support its own tribe. Particularly against the rival tribe, the threat to their continued existence.

They didn't just spend their time attacking the other tribe-they were doing that for a very real benefit to themselves.

At 1 level, football, or Nationality, really doesn't matter. But on another it is part of the basis for Society.
  • Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 584
    Is the day you mention in the op when Pompey played West Brom away and celebrated West Brom's great escape with the home fans?

+1 to Southampton being a mum and dad club. It's why the ground is so quiet now. The old Dell was much better..
  • JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 376
    Doubleme said:

JammyFker said:

U can support one team without showing hatred for another. It is a bad built in addition to a lot of teams and ur past has influenced this.

In good news u can change this in the future ;)
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 168,319
    JammyFker said:

Doubleme said:

JammyFker said:

U can support one team without showing hatred for another. It is a bad built in addition to a lot of teams and ur past has influenced this.

In good news u can change this in the future ;)

@JammyFker

Absolutely that, great post.

Expending all that negative energy on "hate" can never be healthy.

We need more love, less hate.

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 168,319

Meanwhile, it's been a long time coming, but that was an excellent goal & long overdue.
    Tikay10 said:

Meanwhile, it's been a long time coming, but that was an excellent goal & long overdue.

it was horrible to see this game is over now I mean hoping for a miricle but been realistic it is unlikely.