You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

A little advice please - UPDATE

2»

Comments

• stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,768
    Doubleme said:

Thanks for all the advice guys. As I am freerolled into this I just want to enjoy it and get as much fun for my time as possible. The one thing I don't want is to be the sucker at the table and I think if I just play it like a £5 deepstack I should avoid that.

We will see.

so not trying to be harsh but based on your scope reading, 57 is a bit weak and I am not trying to be nasty so dont take it that way but this does imply that you are a losing player.

and again not meaning to be harsh but based on the play I have seen from you when at your table and forum posts you are a losing player.

I do not think it will be different in this tourny but anyone can get lucky its often the case that deep in tournies there are weak players. I mean I think it was Darvin Moon who came second in the world series.

A bit below the belt that , goose/gander
  • chrisdonkbchrisdonkb Member Posts: 131
    Doubleme said:

Thanks for all the advice guys. As I am freerolled into this I just want to enjoy it and get as much fun for my time as possible. The one thing I don't want is to be the sucker at the table and I think if I just play it like a £5 deepstack I should avoid that.

We will see.

so not trying to be harsh but based on your scope reading, 57 is a bit weak and I am not trying to be nasty so dont take it that way but this does imply that you are a losing player.

and again not meaning to be harsh but based on the play I have seen from you when at your table and forum posts you are a losing player.

I do not think it will be different in this tourny but anyone can get lucky its often the case that deep in tournies there are weak players. I mean I think it was Darvin Moon who came second in the world series.

Was there a point to this message?

He asked for advice.
  • waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,066
    Bet you're fun at parties @Doubleme
  • rancidrancid Member Posts: 5,945
    edited May 18
    TheEdge949 +++ good luck

Just relax and enjoy it, play tight -

You start with 250bb @ 20 min levels and it's a four day event

ps. ignore the negative posts - just no need for it tbh

• DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975
    i didnt mean that to come across as an attack or harsh. I have known people who are vulnerable who have actually really suffered from gambling problems. One guy I worked with in a kitchen had real problems with this though he gambled on crypto not poker and kept losing bad. He asked me to teach him poker, I dont view myself as good enough to be a coach but I suppose I could lead someone from been a losing player to been a small time winning player. I was not willing to do that for this individual though because it was clear he had problems with self control.

There have been times that I have seriously thought about going full time pro with online poker but was talked out of it because whilst profitible my results did not justify that I could.

I will refrain from going into detail because I think it would be inappropriate here, but will just say that I have seen occassions to lead me to believe the edge is vulnerable. Some will know what I am talking about some wont but I am bad at saying things the right way or good at saying things wrong way when I dont mean to at times.

I just had concerns because some comments he was making were suggesting he thought he could go pro sports betting (not saying he cant but statistics needed etc) and then he said a comment which I took that he may be getting the wrong idea about his poker.

Look I actually lay awake worrying about the guy I worked with in a kitchen doing something stupid on several occasions.

so sorry if that came out as a personal attack it wasnt intended that way I meant it from a place of concern.
  • raggy94raggy94 Member Posts: 152
    Sometimes you need specs to see the plank.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,597
    Doubleme said:

i didnt mean that to come across as an attack or harsh. I have known people who are vulnerable who have actually really suffered from gambling problems. One guy I worked with in a kitchen had real problems with this though he gambled on crypto not poker and kept losing bad. He asked me to teach him poker, I dont view myself as good enough to be a coach but I suppose I could lead someone from been a losing player to been a small time winning player. I was not willing to do that for this individual though because it was clear he had problems with self control.

There have been times that I have seriously thought about going full time pro with online poker but was talked out of it because whilst profitible my results did not justify that I could.

I will refrain from going into detail because I think it would be inappropriate here, but will just say that I have seen occassions to lead me to believe the edge is vulnerable. Some will know what I am talking about some wont but I am bad at saying things the right way or good at saying things wrong way when I dont mean to at times.

I just had concerns because some comments he was making were suggesting he thought he could go pro sports betting (not saying he cant but statistics needed etc) and then he said a comment which I took that he may be getting the wrong idea about his poker.

Look I actually lay awake worrying about the guy I worked with in a kitchen doing something stupid on several occasions.

so sorry if that came out as a personal attack it wasnt intended that way I meant it from a place of concern.

That's ok @Doubleme, believe me there is little you could say that would offend me.

I note your concern for me and I appreciate it, however, allow me to allay your fears.

Firstly I would never consider going "full time pro" as a sports bettor. If I can build the bankroll sufficiently over the next 3 years I may try "full time trading", as trading is all about mitigating risk and loss, unlike betting.

As for poker I play for the thrill of the game, the highs and lows and the general uncertainty of it all, poker imitates life I feel.

The main difference is though, my attitude to life.

I have learnt to fly, jumped out of a perfectly good aircraft for the rush, scuba dived, taken at least 2 huge falls while climbing/mountaineering, worked some really tough doors, been shot once, stabbed twice and had more fights than I care to remember, crashed high performance motorcycles both on track and on the road and am still pushing boundaries with my weight training when I should be backing off.

On the flip side I have witnessed my children and grandchildren be born and develop, grow and learn and shared their dreams, hopes and heartaches. In essence My job is done.

I've been ecstatic, suicidal, alcoholic, sober, aggressive, passive, hateful, loving, compassionate, dispassionate, sympathetic, ambivalous, joyful and depressed

At 60 I have lived enough for 3 or 4 lifetimes so as I say whilst I thank you for your concern, rest easy my friend and worry not, I'm loving it on the rollercoaster of life.

Why? why the fk not. One day may body will betray me and when it does I don't want to regret what I didn't do.

Does that make for a balanced poker player, probably not. however, I will wager that somebody with a winni the poo and The Russians are coming fixation is probably less balanced than me.

I am actually concerned about you.

In love buddy.
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,723

Doubleme said:

That's ok @Doubleme, believe me there is little you could say that would offend me.

I note your concern for me and I appreciate it, however, allow me to allay your fears.

Firstly I would never consider going "full time pro" as a sports bettor. If I can build the bankroll sufficiently over the next 3 years I may try "full time trading", as trading is all about mitigating risk and loss, unlike betting.

As for poker I play for the thrill of the game, the highs and lows and the general uncertainty of it all, poker imitates life I feel.

The main difference is though, my attitude to life.

I have learnt to fly, jumped out of a perfectly good aircraft for the rush, scuba dived, taken at least 2 huge falls while climbing/mountaineering, worked some really tough doors, been shot once, stabbed twice and had more fights than I care to remember, crashed high performance motorcycles both on track and on the road and am still pushing boundaries with my weight training when I should be backing off.

On the flip side I have witnessed my children and grandchildren be born and develop, grow and learn and shared their dreams, hopes and heartaches. In essence My job is done.

I've been ecstatic, suicidal, alcoholic, sober, aggressive, passive, hateful, loving, compassionate, dispassionate, sympathetic, ambivalous, joyful and depressed

At 60 I have lived enough for 3 or 4 lifetimes so as I say whilst I thank you for your concern, rest easy my friend and worry not, I'm loving it on the rollercoaster of life.

Why? why the fk not. One day may body will betray me and when it does I don't want to regret what I didn't do.

Does that make for a balanced poker player, probably not. however, I will wager that somebody with a winni the poo and The Russians are coming fixation is probably less balanced than me.

I am actually concerned about you.

In love buddy.
    Oi @TheEdge949 you may have faced/survived/experienced all those situations but you've NEVER faced an upset/demented Winni I think that will take you to another level... :)
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975
    I meant well if I wanted to be nasty and wasnt coming from a good place I wouldnt have said I mean no offense and I wouldnt have mentioned statistical significance checks and etc.

I have actually worried about theegde before because hence why i tried to reach out. I may not be the best at putting things the right way but I meant it from a good place.

In terms of my own life and struggles yes I have them, personally I do worry a lot about humanity and the future but thinking it through realistically there are a few things which are clear there.

Firstly it is incredibly probable that the vast majority of human beings I would say 95%+ maybe even 99% + will be wiped out within the next century or two I hope not in my life time.

It is also the case that we are highly unlikely to go extinct human beings are an intelligent resiliant species and its hard to imagine an event that could wipe us all out.

So yeah I worry about world war a lot and war with Russia I dont want to go before I have lived properly.

edited May 20
    Ok @Doubleme, this is weird because I started this post by asking for advice but I'm going to end it by giving some out. To you.

If you want to "live properly before you go" as you put it, then do it.

Live. Stop worrying because worry never stopped a single thing from happening, never enhanced anybody's life, never helped.

Instead let it go, embrace life, kiss it full on the mouth and seek whatever it is that thrills you, search for whatever scares you, go where it's a little bit edgey, outside your comfort zone, push your limits, never leave a chance to do something new unexplored.

As I said, one day the body will no longer allow you to do what you want and you will be left with is one of two things.

Either a life filled with incredible memories and experiences, yes even the bad experiences can be memorable, of achievements of those times when you put it all out there.

Or a life filled with regret and bitterness that you didn't live when you could and with the sadness of missed opportunities.

Life is for living, live your best life.
    edited May 26
    Well I went out midway through level 10 blinds are 250/500. I have A Q suited utg and raise 3 x bb get 4 callers. Flop is A Q 2 and I push about 40% of my stack of 28,000 folded to s.b. who snap called, the rest went in on a J turn and villain shows 2 2 river is a brick and Im out.

Villain had shown that he was happy to call light in this position such as an underpair, A x etc. Twice he had rivered the pot in previous hands. Overall I was happy with how I played it as I reckon on the evidence he'd shown I'm ahead about 80% of the time.

Oh a word about the standard of play in Stars $109 events, awful if I'm honest. I really think a Sky £11 tourney is tougher.
  • green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,926
    edited May 26
    GG in tough environment, all those boys rocking it on stars are top notch imo.......i hope you enjoyed the experience, 50c well spent imo.