You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

The Election - A Sad Indictment Of Our Time

pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,834
edited June 19 in The Rail
Not sure if anyone saw this, if I was a technically minded person , I’d post a still photo. But I guess I’ll have to try and paint a picture with words.
Tonight , as I was waiting to see Scotland get beaten, there was a party political broadcast , on behalf of the Labour Party.
It opens , with a shot of two men in a countryside location, both have their names on the screen. Only one of them has a line of biography, telling the viewer, who it is. It was not the former Manchester United and England defender turned pundit, Gary Neville, but, the Leader of the Party who the programme has been produced for, Sir Keir Starmer, who needed that information put on the screen.
How very very sad.
I really don’t think it matters which way your political allegiances lie, sadly our political system and those within it, are not fit for purpose.
An individual can do very little to change the way things are. I will perform my constitutional right and use my vote, in honour of all those who fought for the freedom, that allows me to do so. I have very little expectation , that, whoever wins the election, will be able to bring fresh new, perhaps bold and innovative ideas, into how to turn the country around from the mess we are in.
I’ve not had one knock on my door to discuss the situation, the Liberal Democrat candidate used the postal service to mail me his leaflet. The Standing Conservative MP , or, one of her minions, left her leaflet in the box in my porch, not even bothering to post it through the letterbox. The Labour candidate, well, who knows. It’s pathetic, criminal in fact , that tens of, perhaps hundreds of millions of pounds , will be spent by rich individuals, companies and corporations,trying to ensure, that, whoever wins, will allow them to continue to be, or, more likely, grow their abundance of wealth , rather than sorting out the fine mess we find ourselves in.
What we need is honesty, clear upfront adult conversations about the things everyone is not allowed to talk about , without fear of being labelled, one way or the another. Stop pointing fingers at each other across the hallowed chamber, making noise about things that matter not a jot. Sit down, talk about things that matter, come up with solutions that are for the good of the whole, not the privileged few.
We need leaders , not sheep, tell the people the truth, even if it’s unpalatable. Make the tough decisions, explain why , and then LEAD

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,275
    edited June 19
    "We need leaders , not sheep, tell the people the truth, even if it’s unpalatable."

Every Party, Leader & candidate are desperate to say "we will NOT raise taxes".

But that's not the answer. Our infrastructure is crumbling, NHS needs a lot more money, the Police need more money, ditto Education, the Judiciary & Courts, the Prison Estate, our Roads are a mess, Councils are going bankrupt as they can't afford to meet their commitments, State Pensions are an unaffordable black hole, National Debt is huge & costing a fortune to service the interest debt, & all that is just for starters.

Someone, somewhere, needs to grasp this nettle. Taxes MUST go up. In addition, those avoiding tax, be it personal or Corporate, must be made to pay, & benefit scroungers need to be exposed as the pariahs they are.

Buying votes by promising no tax rises is SO wrong. The Nation has amassed debts & a spending backlog, & eventually we have to start paying it off. We can't keep pretending everything will be all right. It wont, & we ALL have to pay our share. That's not just individuals, it's Business too, via increased Corporation Tax, & the loopholes that allow big multi-nationals to evade tax need to be closed.

Any party that addresses these problems honestly - "sorry, taxes HAVE to rise, & we need a decade of austerity to repair the financial black hole" - would get my vote.

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 34,570
    Tikay10 said:

"We need leaders , not sheep, tell the people the truth, even if it’s unpalatable."

Every Party, Leader & candidate are desperate to say "we will NOT raise taxes".

Despite the claims, a Sky News analysis of the manifestos, show that taxes will rise in the next parliament, and that it will be a higher increase under Labour than the Tories.

But that's not the answer. Our infrastructure is crumbling, NHS needs a lot more money, the Police need more money, ditto Education, the Judiciary & Courts, the Prison Estate, our Roads are a mess, Councils are going bankrupt as they can't afford to meet their commitments, State Pensions are an unaffordable black hole, National Debt is huge & costing a fortune to service the interest debt, & all that is just for starters.

Nobody could argue with that.
    You could probably come up with a few more examples.
    Carrying on as we are surely results in some of the above becoming unaffordable, or we continue to pay an ever increasing percentage of our income in tax.

Someone, somewhere, needs to grasp this nettle. Taxes MUST go up. In addition, those avoiding tax, be it personal or Corporate, must be made to pay, & benefit scroungers need to be exposed as the pariahs they are.

That is logical, but there doesnt seem to be any urgency in finding any solutions.

Buying votes by promising no tax rises is SO wrong. The Nation has amassed debts & a spending backlog, & eventually we have to start paying it off. We can't keep pretending everything will be all right. It wont, & we ALL have to pay our share. That's not just individuals, it's Business too, via increased Corporation Tax, & the loopholes that allow big multi-nationals to evade tax need to be closed.

There are too many loopholes, yet none of our politicians seem keen on closing them.
    As long as there is income tax there will be advisors thinking up schemes to avoid paying it.
    How difficult would it be to introduce legislation saying that if you live and work in this country, you will pay income tax, at the going rate.
    Many of these tax avoidance schemes require the participation of the employer.
    For instance the BBC have fallen foul of some of them.
    They should know better.
    Any employer that participates in a tax avoidance scheme should be prosecuted.
    They should also make the penalties for individuals that get involved much harsher

Any party that addresses these problems honestly - "sorry, taxes HAVE to rise, & we need a decade of austerity to repair the financial black hole" - would get my vote.

I agree with that, but some solutions have to be found, to avoid things like state pensions, or the NHS becoming unaffordable.
    Alternatively, working people will be paying so much tax, they will find it unaffordable to live.

A line will have to be drawn somewhere.
    I dont pretend to understand the economics of it all.
    Both parties are claiming no tax increases, but that is not true.
    Just one aspect, like the freezing of the tax threshold until 2028 means there will be.
    The tax bit comes in at 3 minutes 30 seconds on the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtJdK4HBWVc