You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Gareth goes South...

lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,777
edited July 16 in The Rail
Gareth Southgate resigns as England manager after Euro 2024 final defeat.

In a statement, Southgate said it was "time for change" having managed the England team for 102 games. He first took charge of the Three Lions in autumn 2016.

Gareth Southgate has resigned as England manager after his side lost a second Euros final in a row.

Writing a statement, shared by the official England account on X, Southgate said: "As a proud Englishman, it has been the honour of my life to play for England and to manage England. It has meant everything to me, and I have given it my all.

"But it's time for change, and for a new chapter. Sunday's final in Berlin against Spain was my final game as England manager."

He added that England has the "best fans in the world and their support has meant the world to me" adding that he looks forward to "watching players go on to create more special memories and to connect and inspire the nation as we know they can".

The England X account posted on social media saying: "After 102 games and almost eight years in charge, Gareth Southgate has announced he is to leave his role as manager of the #ThreeLions."

https://news.sky.com/story/gareth-southgate-resigns-as-england-manager-after-euro-2024-final-defeat-13178036

Comments

• rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,386
    All the shyte will come out now, a lot of punters will start putting the boot in.
    Hope Steve Clarke follows him.
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,777
    Why are some of these names even on the list and some I've not even heard of.

• VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,279
    Eddie Howe
  • green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,931
    POSTECOGULOU would win you the world cup.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 2,011
    Well he has achieved more as England manager then any other England manager has achieved for a very long time. that been said England will never lift a major trophy in any of our live times. Which will likely be cut short by nuclear war.

In fact England will never lift a major trophy as, if people inhabit England in the future or any other intelligent beings inhabit the land we currently call England it is likely it will no longer be called England, and Soccer may no longer exist.

• goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,940
    Gareth invitation to final ......against Spain.

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,346
    lucy4 said:

Why are some of these names even on the list and some I've not even heard of.

Because the Bookies will be happy to take bets on them, particularly if they have no chance.
    England fans thank Southgate, but keep everything crossed he’s not coming to their club.

England fans have given vocal thanks to Gareth Southgate for his eight years as England manager, before crossing absolutely everything that his turgid brand of football won’t be coming to their club any time soon.

After announcing his resignation this morning, speculation is already rife on which club will be ‘lucky’ enough to secure his services.

England and Chelsea fan Simon William told us, “I would like to thank Gareth for some of the best times as an England fan in my life. From Trippier’s World Cup semi-final goal to Watkins’ last-minute semi-final winner, I’m grateful for those incredible moments and memories that will stay with me until the day I die. But I would also like him to promise me he won’t come within a hundred miles of Stamford Bridge.

Newcastle fan Shane Matthews told us, “Gareth has been brilliant for England, and when he started, who amongst us wouldn’t have taken two finals, a semi-final and a quarter-final from his four tournaments in charge? But please, God, don’t let him come here if Eddie Howe gets his job with England.

“I have no problem whatsoever seeing my club funded with blood money from a despotic authoritarian regime with a terrible human rights record, but I don’t think I could remain a fan if we started playing six at the back at home against Fulham while focussing on avoiding defeat at all costs.”

Other fans have had similar reactions, with Derek Smith, a lifelong Colchester City fan, told us, “I’ve loved watching England these last eight years, it’s been mostly wonderful – and sure, my club only preserved its league status at the bottom of League Two on the final day of the season, but honestly, I don’t want him here.

“It’s bad enough struggling for results week in, week out, without having to watch a brand of football so tedious the NHS considered prescribing it to insomniacs.

“So thank you Gareth, but no thank you.”

https://newsthump.com/2024/07/16/england-fans-thank-southgate-keep-everything-crossed-hes-not-coming-to-their-club/
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,788
    Doubleme said:

Well he has achieved more as England manager then any other England manager has achieved for a very long time. that been said England will never lift a major trophy in any of our live times. Which will likely be cut short by nuclear war.

In fact England will never lift a major trophy as, if people inhabit England in the future or any other intelligent beings inhabit the land we currently call England it is likely it will no longer be called England, and Soccer may no longer exist.

I agree with all of this*
    * Rolls eyes
    Doubleme said:

What will England be called?
    HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

my point was it would be likely that England will be destroyed in a nuclear war some people may survive and repopulate the earth this would then be entirely new civilizations and countys etc so there is no way I would be able to guess that. Of course we may wipe ourselves out entirely in which case it may be hundreds of millions of years before an other intelligence evolves most likely some sort of Corvid they may not necerssarily have a concept of countries but may be entirely different how they operate predicting names would be impossible.
    Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

my point was it would be likely that England will be destroyed in a nuclear war some people may survive and repopulate the earth this would then be entirely new civilizations and countys etc so there is no way I would be able to guess that. Of course we may wipe ourselves out entirely in which case it may be hundreds of millions of years before an other intelligence evolves most likely some sort of Corvid they may not necerssarily have a concept of countries but may be entirely different how they operate predicting names would be impossible.
    So why would they change the name?
    HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

its more likely that by the time civilization is rebuilt, or restarted by the corvids that they may not even be aware of the original name, or a new kingdom would name themselves something different.
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,752
    Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

its more likely that by the time civilization is rebuilt, or restarted by the corvids that they may not even be aware of the original name, or a new kingdom would name themselves something different.
    Putinia has a nice peaceful ring to it.
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,448
    Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

Have you been watching too much Planet of the Apes by any chance?