You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Striking train drivers to average £80,000 on a four-day week

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 34,726
edited August 18 in The Rail
Chancellor Rachel Reeves scraps some winter fuel payments as she reveals cuts to fill 'black hole' in public finances

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/chancellor-rachel-reeves-scraps-winter-134200909.html

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,702

@HAYSIE

Excellent decision. It's crazy that folks like you & I get it, when clearly, we can comfortably manage without.

Labour have started very well indeed, imo.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 34,726
    Tikay10 said:

@HAYSIE

Excellent decision. It's crazy that folks like you & I get it, when clearly, we can comfortably manage without.

Labour have started very well indeed, imo.

True.
    I will not be complaining.
    They have definitely started like they mean business
    Decision to end universal winter fuel payments ‘too narrow’, says Martin Lewis

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/decision-end-universal-winter-fuel-161043988.html
    ‘I can’t stand being cold’: older people on losing winter fuel payments

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/could-debt-older-people-losing-130953750.html
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,479
    Why do Newspapers always phrase it in this way?

We have a finite amount of money. If 1 set of people get more, another set have to receive less or pay more. Simple as that.

We need to stop these ridiculous campaigns where people vote for the magic money tree.

Pensioners are not being "robbed".

From each according to his ability. To each according to their need.

While I am on a rant, why is it that people are too sick to work are pilloried as lazy. People below Pension Age who choose not to work are in some way cheating us all.

Whereas, when you reach Pension Age some sort of magic door opens and you are entitled to everything, regardless of need. Even those still working.
    Essexphil said:

We have a finite amount of money. If 1 set of people get more, another set have to receive less or pay more. Simple as that.

We need to stop these ridiculous campaigns where people vote for the magic money tree.

While I am on a rant, why is it that people are too sick to work are pilloried as lazy. People below Pension Age who choose not to work are in some way cheating us all.

Whereas, when you reach Pension Age some sort of magic door opens and you are entitled to everything, regardless of need. Even those still working.

Essexphil said:

What struck me about the article above was that the couple featured in the article, both receive a full state pension, which means they cant claim pension credit, which would qualify them for the Winter fuel benefit.
    They are housing association tenants, receive council tax credit, and housing benefit.
    The wife also receives a pip payment.

They dont seem to have anything to moan about.

It just seems stupid to give money to those that dont need it.
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,355
    The Tories robbed poor people for years, lets give Labour a chance to level the playin field.
    Striking train drivers to average £80,000 on a four-day week

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/striking-train-drivers-average-80-092830295.html