You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Starmer Told To Get A Grip Of Workshy Britain

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 34,726

Comments

• Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 574
    Typical, deliberately misleading nonsense from the Mail.

Why hasn't Kier Starmer fixed a complex problem in six weeks that the Tory government created and didn't resolve for 14 years?

The 9.4 million figure is also deliberately misleading:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52660591

Shall we start with the 1.6m people caring for somebody? Perhaps the Mail thinks it makes more sense to put those people they are caring for into state-funded facilities at £50k+ per year.

Then we'll get the 1.2m people that retired early back into work, given they are such a burden on the state...

We also don't need 2.1m students when our ambition is for an educated, high-performing economy, with many of those students paying their own way through university.

Then we'll get the 2.6m sick into work. After all employers are queuing up to employ people with a long-term sick record.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,576
    I refer the horrible gentleman (sore fear karma) to a point I made some months ago.

THERE ARE NO REAL JOBS OUT THERE.

There are zero hours min wage contracts that offer no protection in law to the workforce, no holiday, sick pay or pension entitlements and mean that unscrupulous agencies make exorbitant profits at the expense off the back of those wishing to better themselves.

Add to that the fact that many financial institutions refuse to accept applications from people employed by such agencies, even if you have worked 60 hours a week for the last 10 years, which restricts the ability for finance or credit and drives the payday/unsecured/sharked loan markets.

The fact that the Labour party is now led by a guy with a Knighthood is a joke. Yes I know it's not an Hereditary Peerage, but still, he is as far removed from the working man as Cameron or Sunak.

I know believe him when he says his father was a Toolmaker. It would appear he made a massive tool when he sired Kier.
  • Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 574

I refer the horrible gentleman (sore fear karma) to a point I made some months ago.

THERE ARE NO REAL JOBS OUT THERE.

There are zero hours min wage contracts that offer no protection in law to the workforce, no holiday, sick pay or pension entitlements and mean that unscrupulous agencies make exorbitant profits at the expense off the back of those wishing to better themselves.

Add to that the fact that many financial institutions refuse to accept applications from people employed by such agencies, even if you have worked 60 hours a week for the last 10 years, which restricts the ability for finance or credit and drives the payday/unsecured/sharked loan markets.

The fact that the Labour party is now led by a guy with a Knighthood is a joke. Yes I know it's not an Hereditary Peerage, but still, he is as far removed from the working man as Cameron or Sunak.

I know believe him when he says his father was a Toolmaker. It would appear he made a massive tool when he sired Kier.

The reality is the British public will never elect a white van man to be PM. For better or worse, they seem to choose (and bizarrely trust) privately educated, well spoken, rich bell ends like Cameron and Sunak that spent years attending debating societies. Ditto Nigel Farage, the millionaire ex-banker whose aide is a convicted money launderer. Starmer is probably on a par with Blair. I'm personally quite pleased that we now have a PM that had a regular, worthwhile job.

I agree that zero-hours contracts for many are the nut low. They should be for students and people that want gig-type work only, not people that have worked in the same place for 15+ hours per week, every single week, for a number of years.
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,225
    New "workers" coming in by the boat load