You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

moving on after heartbreak and devestating loss

DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,957
I recently mentioned about the devestating news of finding out that the counter burger is under new management. This means its likely everything about it has been destroyed and it wont be the magical ectacy that I remember.

I will never forget how I first found the counter, it was a family holiday and due to a crises which wont be mentioned here, we all had to go to different locations at different times on the way back long story. So there I am stuck at an airport by myself waiting several hours for the next flight. I remeber asking some random security
person where I would find Mcdonalds
him "thats on the other side of the airport you cant get there without leaving the airport"
Me "really damm I wanted a burger"
Him "you should go to the counter burger"
Me "I never heard of that place so it must be crud"
him " no its really good you should try it"
me " if it was really good I would have heard of it"
him "no really it is you should try it"
me "ok I guess"

There was no time in my life when I had ever been more wrong, I remeber getting to the counter burger at the airport and I thought it would be terrible but its a burger and I wanted a burger what happened next was one of the greatest shocks of my entire life.
Not only was this the best burger I had ever had in my entire life without anything else even been remotely close, it was the best meal I have ever had in my life. To this day no food has ever come close to the counter, I mean the olympia cafe in Margate does a very nice breakfast and cant really say a bad word about that place in any catergory of ranking but they just dont have that super magic that the counter had. I mean I have never encountered anywhere that does.

So after finding out the company was taken over and several branches closed It was like losing a loved one, I have for many years looked forward to going back to the states just for that burger, I cant really say that its just for that burger, you cant really say just when referring to something like that. now under new management and struggling it looks like that has permently gone and sadly I need to find a new burger place to take its place to aspire to go to.

I remain highly sceptical that any achievement of man could match the fluke brilliance that originally was the counter burger, but when I looked at online rankings the counter burger did not make the rankings it used to but you know its most likely been ruined. So I have to try to find a burger that can match the counter I have been googling the worlds best burger places and there are some in london that made the rankings I dont know if anyone has any experience of any of this?

I genuienly feel heart broken over this I really dont think it can ever be matched but I have to try so I will be starting an epic journey traveling around the world to try the impossible task of finding a burger that could match or supass the counter burger. I cant do this right away but the plan is now in place I will be working towards it will probably start on the london ones.

Comments

• TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,576
    Ok so let me get this correct.

You had a food experience in the US which you thought was incredible. This experience was never available to you in the country you live in.

The food experience is no longer available as the company has ceased trading, not that you were going to be able to sample it on even an infrequent basis due to its geographical location.

You then compare this as something akin to a heartbreaking and devastating loss from which you will struggle to recover.

In the name of every person who has suffered a true devastating and heartbreaking loss and are fighting to overcome grief and despair, get a life you sad, pathetic, little man.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,957

Ok so let me get this correct.

You had a food experience in the US which you thought was incredible. This experience was never available to you in the country you live in.

The food experience is no longer available as the company has ceased trading, not that you were going to be able to sample it on even an infrequent basis due to its geographical location.

You then compare this as something akin to a heartbreaking and devastating loss from which you will struggle to recover.

In the name of every person who has suffered a true devastating and heartbreaking loss and are fighting to overcome grief and despair, get a life you sad, pathetic, little man.

wrong they are still trading certain branches have closed but they were aquired by another company and are under new management and I worry that will ruin the quaility of their product.

• TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,576
    You're not exactly helping yourself by your response. I really can't say what I want to because I enjoy my chat and forum privileges' to risk losing them.

I would suggest you re evaluate your priorities however as you seem to disdain all well meant advice I will just await your next proffering.
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,817
    Something to cheer you up in your sad grief .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoQEddtFN3Q
    There do you feel better now...... Hic!
  • Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 574
    I've had a lot of mediocre burgers in the US and a lot of good steaks.

In-N-Out Burger is a chain in California that's decent.

Honest Burger in London is probably the best of all the UK chains.
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,403
    goldon said:

Something to cheer you up in your sad grief .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoQEddtFN3Q

A brilliant song and wonderful musical but let's hope he doesn't watch the whole thing as I fear the ending would be too much for him to take.
    Imaginary world on film, much like his world.
    and my world ......

Somewhere there's a place for him......... maybe in a burger and let others decide if he's tasty enough to be the best burger of all time. ? ijest!
    So a list is been prepared of different burger places around the world. Certain countries are removed due to been dubbed too dangerous, and certain countries are an absolute must, such as Brazil despite been dangerous Brazil are famous for their meat so they will be competitive in this one.

Of course one country has to be eliminated early from visiting for this, is not due to any danger there, I dont know if it could be argued to be a dangerous country or not but I vistied once and one thing became clear.

The Greeks just do not know how to make burgers, Greek burgers are like the result you would expect from Winni the pooh trying to explain to a lobster how to make burgers so that lobster can convey that information to a jellyfish that is supposed to show a seahorse how to make the burger.

its just a clump of terrible meat most likely made up from the stuff still stuck in the colon of the cow when it was slaughtered.

• stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,757
    The Greeks make fantastic burgers

They also make great smashed avocado with eggs :)
    stokefc said:

The Greeks make fantastic burgers

They also make great smashed avocado with eggs :)

is that you in greece I thought for a moment that it was a southampton kit but noticed on closer inspection it was stoke so that cool..

I must say I am shocked that you got a bun usually when you ask for a burger in Greece you just get a slab of meat no bun and its over done meat well that was my experience anyway.
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,355

Thats a burger.